Cub Scouts for an 8 year old

Mike.357

I am having my daughter sign up the grandson for Cub Scouts.

Someone who has been there recently fill me in. How much do uniforms cost, how much can I expect to spend in a year for him to do this? Where do I get a uniform for him at.

What else do I need to know?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I allowed to be involved ,time allowing without being an offical leader or whatever?

if and when they take camping trips I would love to go.

I used to go on the camping trips with my nephews (their dad wouldn't go).

I think most packs/troops would welcome volunteer help for meetings, camping trips and other events.

You'll have more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Like Ally and me with softball and soccer. Didn't want to be the head coach but I helped when I could and it sure was appreciated. Made some good friends and was some of the best times with my daughter. :mad:

As a former Assistant Scoutmaster and Webelos leader, and the father of an Eagle Scout, I can tell you that the journey is well worth the effort. We started at Tiger Cubs and went all the way through the program. I say "we" because it involves the entire family.

Look at it long term and just go ahead and make the decision that you are in it for the long haul. It is a commitment and an investment in the life of a child that can change his life forever.

I want to commit, but just don't want to commit, if that makes sense.

Thats exactly what I feel. My son just turned 4 and we have been thinking about the Scouts in the future. I have a buddy of mine out West (NV) get, well lets just say shanghaied into, being the EVERYTHING for a troop. His son liked the Scouts and since my buddy had a background in Survival the troop just feel into his lap with little to no help from the parents. That is my biggest fear if we get into Scouting. So, Mike, please keep uu updated on how it goes. :rolleyes:

thanks for all the comments and input.

I can't commit to being anything official in cub scouts. my work hours are not set in stone. I work until the work is done for the day. Cannot make promises about being available at any certain time. So I will do what I can if they let me roll that way.

At any rate the boy is looking forward to signing up Thursday night. If I can take him I will, if not someone else can/will do it.

Scouting is a great program. I would suggest just signing up for an account at :

Scouting

I think you click on "My Scouting".

Do some of the online training, then if you decide to get more involved and want to go on activities or help out you can add your membership id # to your account later and you will already be qualified.

My son is a cub and one of the other members of TGO is his Cub Master. Good stuff.

It's a great start for any kid. You never know, might have an Eagle, some day, Mike.

That's a lot to be proud of, too. Do what you can. There's a lot of people to take up

the slack if you can't do something. Don't worry about it.

Scouting was awesome when I was a kid. It was well worth it.

Guest Glock23ForMe

I have 4 friends that I played paintball with, out of 9, that are Eagle Scouts. I went with them once to try it out. I was more of a sports kid, basketball 6 months, baseball 6 months. But they loved it, and they have a lot of great stories. And they played sports, too, but my dad coached AAU, so I played all the time.

All I do know is: Your grandson will never regret it. Also, you and him will only grow closer. Mike, bravo to you sir!

Guest RevScottie
It will be good money spent.

Just don't be too disappointed when he becomes a teenager and decides that cars and girls are more interesting than Scouts....at least thats what happened to me :)

Just don't be too disappointed when he becomes a teenager and decides that cars and girls are more interesting than Scouts....at least thats what happened to me :)

I would be concerned if girls and cars were not more interesting that scouting. I do hope he makes room for all three.