Who shoots 3-gun?

Shot my first 3-gun match yesterday and had a ball. I figured I would stink up the shotgun stages, and I proved myself right. I used a Mossberg 590 w/ a bead, a slick-top Smith M4 w/ a Leupold CQT, and a 9mm STI Trojan. I held my own with the Smith and the STI, but struggled with the shotgun. I haven't had it long, and I found out that I either need to change how I shoulder it or get a taller bead--it shoots high. I'm tempted to look for a taller bead, because I was consistently high w/ slugs and birdshot. I also need to practice shotgun reloads (who doesn't?). Also, I realized that I need every option possible in my range bag for storing shotgun shells. I have a side saddle and a Cal Comp Works 4-round holder on my belt, but need more options. What do you guys use for shell storage?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Butt-cuff and a couple of 6 round ccw holders. That was before I knew all the cool kids go with 4 rounders. I hear Mark Otto has a nice new slick 4 rounder, haven't seen one in person yet. You can get them from Triangle Shooting Sports.

cch2a

At MCTS we frequently have rifle and shotgun side matches on our 3rd weekend after our pistol matches. Those are good tuneups for all out 3-gun type matches. Come on out and shoot with us.

I would like to shoot three gun but would probably just look foolish. I would like to watch a couple first or maybe if a league was having an orientation shoot or something.

Don't worry about what you look like. Go shoot and have fun. That's the important part.

Mike

I was at the MSSA 3 gun yesterday. I was in squad 1 with some of the AR15.com guys. There were 3-4 more ar15.com guys in another squad. I had he green kids wagon with the wood rifle rack. Bubb tactical.

to cch2a: dont worry about how you look. I never shot 3 gun or any competition before last month. I showed up with a bunch of molle pouches and old guns and still had fun. Be safe and have fun. Then try to compete. I was third from last, last month. I picked up my times a bunch this month. I think i did much better. The ROs and vets will have no problem showing you the ropes. They are trying to grow the sport.

edit: typing faster than thinking.

Edited by gotigers

Iv'e just about about give up USPSA to shoot more 3Gun. It is a helluva lot of fun and like everyone else, gotta practice loadin' the shotgun. Hopefully my Benelli M2 request will be granted at Christmas time.

DaG

Iv'e just about about give up USPSA to shoot more 3Gun. It is a helluva lot of fun and like everyone else, gotta practice loadin' the shotgun. Hopefully my Benelli M2 request will be granted at Christmas time.

DaG

Loading my Rem 1100 is my biggest issue. As i load shells they are hitting the lip of the tube and it is slowing me down. I have had the 1100 for about 3 weeks. I got certified yesterday for the AP range, so i can now get some practice time in. First thing, i will work on loading the 1100.

I built this 1100 3 gun shottie for about $420. I found the 1100 for $310 OTD and added an 8 +1 tube extension and found a 21" barrel locally. IT needs a new bead.

Benellis are great, but being an import causes issues when you want to mod it. If i were buying new i would look at the Winchester SX2 or the FN SLP. They are the same gun. They claim, it can spit out 5 shots in a 1/2 second.

Edited by gotigers

Benellis are great, but being an import causes issues when you want to mod it. If i were buying new i would look at the Winchester SX2 or the FN SLP. They are the same gun. They claim, it can spit out 5 shots in a 1/2 second.

? what issues?

i use the 4 shotshell holders, to fat for the 6 shot shell holders. you should should be able to get a 8 or 9 round side saddle and arm band.

Benellis are imported. If you add a mag extension, you have to deal with the 922r compliance.

never heard of that, the extensions are not imported and we have been everwhere with it. including a few trips to Ft. Benning. the Benelli is the most popular shotgun in the 3 gun world with FN coming on strong after the got the bugs out of the super x2 or improved it. plus(FN) they are HUGE supporters of the sport.

mine is a M2 and i know several that use super black eagle and super black eagle 2 all made after 2005. the letter does state why you can no longer get one from the factory. to me it is as thing as sagia not being able to use a drum mag.

this also make me think about egraving the sbr some say yes some say no. mine is no engraving crowd. and i do travel state to state with it.

any way go 3 gunning and have a ball!