Went to Range USA today and tested a few guns. Was kind of surprised at H&K

Guest PatriotCSA

Guest PatriotCSA

I went with some buddies to Range USA and tried out a few of their 40s today but was surprised.

Shot an H&K USP and we were all over the place with it. After a couple of mags, we swapped it out for a Sig P226. All the sudden we were getting perfect center mass groupings.

It was my first time with an H&K and I've heard good things about their firearms, so I'm kind of wondering if this was just us not being used to the gun or what. Are they usually accurate weapons?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went with some buddies to Range USA and tried out a few of their 40s today but was surprised.

Shot an H&K USP and we were all over the place with it. After a couple of mags, we swapped it out for a Sig P226. All the sudden we were getting perfect center mass groupings.

It was my first time with an H&K and I've heard good things about their firearms, so I'm kind of wondering if this was just us not being used to the gun or what. Are they usually accurate weapons?

I've shot every gun in that case pretty much when I worked there and all I can tell you is that some guns just handle different for different people. H&K makes quality firearms so i doubt it was the gun. You can be moderately accurate with just about any weapon if you shoot ALOT, but usually the best thing is to find a gun that fits you in every way from size and shape to trigger pull and recoil.

I tried the RUSA P226 and could not hit much with it ,you did better than I did- then I tried my buddys 226

and it was awesome ,I got my best groups ever and even hit the target pretty good at 17 yards

So I ran out and bought a 226 just this week.......I have rented many guns and my take on them is

they are less than stellar,many have funky triggers and who knows what type of maintenance is done to them

They get you in the ballpark for over all feel but thats where it ends for me.......

Im no expert but the SIG is the best gun I own now and the best I have shot to date

Edited by SonnyCrockett

Make sure that the rental gun's barrel doesn't have any crud/lead/copper buildup in the bore, it doesn't take much to affect accuracy. I was having that problem a couple of weeks ago at the range with just one of 6 .22 pistols I was working out, a new to me 4" 22/45. I was using Blaser LRN. That pistol would build up lead in just several mags and throw wide groups. I would clean out the bore with a brass brush and it would shoot "straight." Several mags later and the groups would open up, clean the bore and tight groups. Just my thoughts on what could cause an otherwise decently designed gun to shoot wide groups for two different shooters. Of course ammo can be the culprit too. I bought some Pakistani ammo last year....... won't do that again, some rounds were almost squib, while others seemed +P++.

Guest Halfpint

As far as H&K's go, I had a USP 45 Compact and loved it. I can't say it's more accurate than my 1911, but it's a close call -- I never shot both at the same time to actually test that. I've shot countless H&K's for work, everything from USP Tactical fullsize guns to P2000SK's with that goofy-but-cool LEM trigger. I've never had a problem out of them, personally. Guns being dirty, your unfamiliarity with a particular model, and the overall way it "feels" all have a lot to do with accuracy. Like for me, I know 100% that Sig makes a fine weapon, I've shot a dozen or so. But the DAK system with a full-reach trigger . . . I can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside, with the doors closed. Throw a "short" trigger in it, I'm good. :eek: