Me and a friend were having a discussion yesterday and we were just wondering Is it possible to buy a select fire upper on a M-16/AR variant and then assemble the rest. I would understand that the upper would be an NFA item but assuming that you can assemble the rest. the last M-16 I saw went for 15g's .I am just looking for a more cost effective means to acquire a really fun toy.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything that a civilian can own had to be made and registered before 19 May 1986. Therefore if a lower receiver was made and registered as a machine gun before that date with BATFE then you can buy it. If a drop in auto sear (DIAS) was made and registered before that date you can own it. The same thing goes for a lightning link. The only way you can "make" a machine gun is by buying one of these registered conversion parts and putting it into your rifle. You still have to have pay the $200 to transfer ownership to you and pass the background check with BATFE. There is no cheap way to own a legal machine gun (around $3,000 for the cheapest). That being said if you are caught with a illegal or illegally converted machine gun you will go to jail.

Edited by Jasongar8

Ok i think ya'll are missing the point im trying to convey .I understand all the legality involved in owning a MG what I'm asking is can you buy a registerable M16 reciever that is damaged not firing and restore it ? Or are you SOL if the sear is FUBAR or any other of the crucial parts that allow select fire damaged to the point of replacement as your only option . Can you buy new parts to repair the weapon or does the rifle become a conversation piece or parts in a bin If the crucial parts are worn out /broken .IE: auto sear ,key parts in the trigger group,or the bolt carrier. I am not talking about conversion

Sorry if i was not clear

Edited by Mad_Squirrell
content

There are guys who specialize in repairing machine guns and DIAS, I would send it to one of these guys for repairs. If you own a legal machine gun you can buy M16 fire control parts with no problem. But if the gun or sear is damaged beyond repair you are just SOL. No buying another receiver and converting it or making a new DIAS.

Ok i think ya'll are missing the point im trying to convey .I understand all the legality involved in owning a MG what I'm asking is can you buy a registerable M16 reciever that is damaged not firing and restore it ? Or are you SOL if the sear is FUBAR or any other of the crucial parts that allow select fire damaged to the point of replacement as your only option . Can you buy new parts to repair the weapon or does the rifle become a conversation piece or parts in a bin If the crucial parts are worn out /broken .IE: auto sear ,key parts in the trigger group,or the bolt carrier. I am not talking about conversion

Sorry if i was not clear

All internal parts are easily replased, to include the sear in a pre-may 86 receiver. IF you find a lower in need of repair that an owner deemed "FUBAR", it most likely is toast due to the simplicity and availability of the internal (lower) parts kit. Full M-16 lower parts kit are available through brownell's, bravo company, ect, you'll just need to have a copy of your form 4 handy. If the lower is bent, damaged or severely out of spec, I wouldn't want to own it, and I doubt you'd find anyone wanting to attempt to repair it, or the current owner would most likely have gone that route him/herself. It is aluminum, after all, on a full auto weapon.

The lowest I've seen a stripped M-16 transferable lower was around 8 grand. I have come across a complete dealer sample post 86 ridiculously cheap, but then I don't possess a SOT or Class III license, and neither do most, hence the low price.

Lower parts kit examples, here:

FTF Industries: M16 FULL AUTO Parts

• 2 months later...

Even a very badly damaged registered receiver is still going to cost big bucks. You're actually paying for the paperwork and not the reciver (the receiver is basicly just a standard AR with an extra hole drilled in it).

Sadly, machineguns have become a rich man's sport. The plus side is that you can always get more out of it than you paid for it if you decide/need to sell it though.