.45 Federal American Eagle

Hey guys, I ran this ammo through my new Kimber Ultra Carry II :):hyper: (yes, finally got it...and thanks for all of your input on the poll) but back to the ammo, as I ran them through it the small metal ring that's around the primer was coming off the shell into my gun...is this just "cheap" ammo or is this something that the gun is doing? It only happened on maybe 7 rounds but I sure don't like those metal rings inside the gun....thanks in advance for your input!!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think i understand whats happening either.post some pictures,and how many rounds did you fire total?

as far as that brand,i have never had any problems using it so it may be your gun.may have to file something,or polish something down a bit.

Ok guys...thanks for the responses! Here is the best picture I could take...the casing on the left is the bad one. You can see around the primer where the ring has been sheered. The casing on the right has been fired and nothing is wrong with it at all. I picked up almost all of the brass so I looked at it all and there was only about 3 or 4 casings that did this. Let me know what you all think...thanks again.

ammo.JPG

The case says "federal NT".Is this a reduced lead load or special indoor load?

RASH...here is a picture of the box of ammo...all the box says is 230 grain Total Metal Jacket....I'm new to this so I'm not sure how to tell if it's a reduced lead load. Do you think it might have something to do with the "toxic-metal free primer"?

CIMG2508.JPG

Yes that is different that a "normal" 45 round. This used a special small pistol primer, of course the standard 45 acp uses a large one.

This primer may be crimped in like the military rounds and is causing a small ring to break off, I have never seen a military crimp to break off.

Did this cause a malfunction when you shot? I suppose this could cause a failure if the piece got in the wrong place in the pistol.

Does your range require you to shoot this type of ammo, some indoor ranges do because it does have reduced lead particles and is safer.

How expensive is this ammo?

Guest Boomhower
Did this cause a malfunction when you shot? I suppose this could cause a failure if the piece got in the wrong place in the pistol.

I believe he said that he had a few failures to return to battery.

I believe he said that he had a few failures to return to battery.

So it is a real 1911, yikes. I don't feel bad since my low budget 1911 had done that, especially when it was new.

I have never seen a metal ring on any of my .45acp's. It does look like a small primer.

Must be something Federal does to save a penny here and there.

Pokey i would advise you to try a different brand of ammo. I like Blazer Brass and it runs pretty good.

Now when you go to start reloading I do not know how them Fed's are going to work.

Like I said I never saw a metal ring around any primers before.

Yes that is different that a "normal" 45 round. This used a special small pistol primer, of course the standard 45 acp uses a large one.

This primer may be crimped in like the military rounds and is causing a small ring to break off, I have never seen a military crimp to break off.

Does your range require you to shoot this type of ammo, some indoor ranges do because it does have reduced lead particles and is safer.

How expensive is this ammo?

I only had three FTF's out of the rounds I shot....I was at my parents place in Claiborne county so I can shoot whatever...

This was 19.99 a box...the gun shop where I bought the gun recommended this ammo...said it was the best "cheap" ammo to shoot thru a Kimber...I'm thinkin "cheap" might be the KEY word!!!

So it is a real 1911, yikes. I don't feel bad since my low budget 1911 had done that, especially when it was new.

I have never seen a metal ring on any of my .45acp's. It does look like a small primer.

Must be something Federal does to save a penny here and there.

Pokey i would advise you to try a different brand of ammo. I like Blazer Brass and it runs pretty good.

Now when you go to start reloading I do not know how them Fed's are going to work.

Like I said I never saw a metal ring around any primers before.

thanks Mike....I am going to try some different ammo...about how much and where do you get the Blazer Brass?

Yeah, me and boom are going to try reloading and he told me that I might have to use different brass since this stuff was iffy...

I by all means think this was the ammo and not the gun...I'm like Boom was when he bought his EMP, I just can't stand the thoughts of spending that kind of mula and getting a lemon....the great thing is Boom found his problem with ammo and a little TLC so I'm thinking I'll have to do the same thing...

Pokey I am guessing there is a break in period on that gun. Kimbers cost a lot but I think they need a few hundred rounds through them too.

Do you leave your mags fully loaded while the gun is stored. I think that might help too. I had way more failures when my magazines were brand new than I have now since they have been used a bunch.

WalMart for Blazer brass is 11.97 like strickj said.

Guest Lstevison
I only had three FTF's out of the rounds I shot....I was at my parents place in Claiborne county so I can shoot whatever...

This was 19.99 a box...the gun shop where I bought the gun recommended this ammo...said it was the best "cheap" ammo to shoot thru a Kimber...I'm thinkin "cheap" might be the KEY word!!!

This is a cheap ammo, you can purchase it for 12.50/50 a box at "the sportsmans warehouse" chattanooga. I was told it is real "dirty" round lots of smoke when fired. this ammo also will sometimes "seat" deeper into the chamber causeing exactly what you described. I would suggest staying away from this ammo. I purchased CCI for 11.50/50 and have fired over a 1000 rounds thru my springfield 1911 no prob.