vg10 vs s30v

Guest grays

My main question is do you guys think s30v is worth the extra money when it will just be used for EDC. Im comparing endura 4 to a spyderco military. I know the military is more beefy and has g10 handle but $60 bucks to $120 bucks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

The general consensus between the two is that s30v will be harder to sharpen, but will hold a good working edge longer than vg10. Some users report that the vg10 blade will hold a hair splitting edge a little longer than the s30v, but that has never been my experience. My experience has been that if you maintain the edge on a s30v blade, it is easy to keep factory sharp - which for a Spyderco is pretty sharp out of the box.

The military and endura are both great knives. I have owned and used both for several years.

You will likely be happy with either choice - so long as you don't hold both of them at the same time. For me, there is no comparison between the two. The military is at least twice the knife of the endura.

FWIW - With suggestions from MacGyver, willis68 and others I recently purchased a Zero Tolerance 0350 and Spyderco para military - both with s30v. They are both great knives and I plan to post a review of the two here in the coming days. I opted to spend a bit more and get the s30v using this rational: my EDC knife would likely get subjected to some abuse over time and I wanted something that would last. Additionally, I figure if SHTF this is what I'd have with me and I'd likely ask it to do things knives weren't exactly designed to do. I'd rather have a steel that will hold an edge longer and be more durable when I really needed it. As for sharpening, I happily accept it will take more time as a trade off. Hope it helps.

I've owned and used both knives in question, like both knives and both steels just fine. Both get very sharp and seem to hold an edge about the same in normal use. Both are fairly large folders, the Endura is thinner and lighter and carries easier. As stated above you'd probably be happy with either, they're both great knives.

• 1 month later...

The edge chipped on an older Benchmade of mine with S30V. This was several years back when S30V wasn't as prevalent as it is today. I think early-on knifemakers had trouble nailing down the heat treatment for this steel and that was the problem. That said, I can get a sharper edge on S30V and it holds longer, but perhaps VG10 is a wee bit tougher.