NRA Member or Not? Poll

Guest db99wj

Are you a member of the NRA?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a member of the NRA?

• Yes
    • No
    • Still Deciding, this could make my mind up!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

This subject came up today on XDTalk and here's my reply to one fellow over there. "Logic" like what this guy is using to abstain from joining the NRA just flies all over me.

Call it paranoid, call it what ever you want. But, IF, (big if) one day the powers that be decide that they 'NEED TO KNOW' whom should be scrutinized for firearms and such, a list such as their membership roster would be a good place to start.

No offense, but that is easily one of the most absurd reasons that I have ever heard for not joining the NRA. If you have purchased a firearm through an FFL dealer then you filled out a BATF Form #4473 and the government already has your name on "a list".

It would be far easier for the government to obtain a record of gun ownership through one of it's own agencies, from data that it already owns, than by subpoenaing or trying to seize the records of a non-profit organization like the NRA.

NRA membership costs $35 annually. Most of us blow twice that amount of money on ammo for one session at the range. The NRA may have it's flaws, but I've got news for you: Any organization made up of people will have flaws because people make mistakes.

That said, the NRA is the single largest ally of American gun owners and the 2nd Amendment itself. Any gun owner who would stubbornly refuse to join because he or she doesn't like every single minute detail about the NRA is a fool and is contributing to the demise of firearms ownership as we know it today through their own act of dissension.

If you want to prove a point by refusing to do something, refuse to vote for these anti-gun asshats that keep getting elected to public office. But don't refuse to help one of the strongest champions of our 2nd Amendment rights.

This subject came up today on XDTalk and here's my reply to one fellow over there. "Logic" like what this guy is using to abstain from joining the NRA just flies all over me.

Wow, I hadn't been over their today and haven't read any those. It was slow on here, so I popped over to the NRA site and decided to put this up.

Yep, I'm a member. They're the big gorilla and the one organization feared by the anti-gunners and politicians alike. In politics size matters. The NRA is simply too big to allow our detractors from labeling gun owners as "a fringe group" with any success.

And, no, I don't contribute every time I get a mailing.

Yes.

And the SAF, and the TFA...

I may not always be able to contribute, but when I can, I do. I refuse to leave other gun owners out-to-dry, regardless of whether we sometimes disagree over small issues. We must fight for every inch we gain, and make the anti-gunners efforts futile.

Guest RN MEDIC

Look at http://www.nrawol . I've worked hard for may years in our cause. In the past I've been an NRA member. Overall, I'd classify NRA as "some of the right stuff, but too much of the wrong stuff." In my case, I just can no longer stomach NRA calling for strong enforcement of unconstitutional laws which should be repealed, NOT enforced. That being said, I still respect your good folks here who disagree with me. I realize that there is room for disagreement between people on opposite sides of an issue yet who hold their views sincerely.

In my case, I'm an active member of Tennessee Firearms assoc. which is our state's foremost effective group working for our rights. If you have not, please do go to the web page of that fine group. http://www.tennesseefirearms.com very ably lead by Mr. John Harris, a prominent Nashville atty. who donates many billable hours of his time for free to work in our cause on capitol hill in Nashville.

As for our rights on a national basis, I work in two groups, Jews For The Preservation Of Firearms Ownership and Gun Owners of America. I've been active in both of these groups for many years. Both of these are, in my view, deserving of our support and encouragement.

Now then, I hope after saying this, that you other guys won't boot me from the forum. Each of us in our own way work to get our message out. Though I don't believe NRA is the way to go anymore, yet, to those of you who still remain a member and go that route, I still respect you and hold you in esteem. I hope you folks can afford me the same regard.

Respectfully, RN

The NRA of years gone by was, back then, very fine in it's message and work, but in my view the wrong people worked their way up to charge of that group thus weakening it from that time to this.

Guest Voodoo_1

Will be joining soon. When I bought my new Mossberg 500 Persuader, the manual and info packet had a card from Mossberg stating if you joined the NRA using their card you would receive $10.00 off the membership cost. So $25.00 for a 1 yr. membership, not bad.:P

Guest Hyaloid

I think RN MEDIC brings up a great point for discussion.

For full disclosure, I am not a member of the NRA... yet. As a relative newcomer, I am educating myself about many things firearms related, including trying to decide which groups best represent my beliefs, and will therefore receive my funds.

What are the opinions of the forums members regarding the GOA vs the NRA. Should we support one over the other, or donate to both?

If this needs to be a separate topic, Moderator(s) please feel free to move this post.

Like RN, I have my issues with the NRA. I joined somewhat reluctantly, but in my case the NRA's work with education and training, along with the good work of the NRA Foundation, swayed me to join. As those of you who read this forum know, politics is my thing, and I just dont see the political value in some of what NRA does, in fact some of their activities (my my opinion -I am NO EXPERT on the national stage) seem counter-productive to our cause. As a result, the NRA has to spend too much time and too many resources on PR and image-building. Ask most non-gun owners about "a typical gun owner/hunter" and the likely disparaging reply will prove my argument that NRA is ineffective in creating a postive image of gun owners. That said, I'm a member. Joined for $25.00 after taking my first NRA class, my NRA Instructor discount has already paid for membership, so economically its a good deal. That said, no organization is perfect, so you take the good with the bad, and weigh your options to decide how to spend your money. In my opinion, any organization devoted to protecting our natural rights as individuals as enumerated in the Constitution/Bill of Rights is worth a look. We may not always agree with specific issues, but the cause is rightious.

In many cases, local or state level organizations can be more effective in dealing with issues of most concern to TGO members. For example, much Federal firearm policy/law will have little impact on law-abiding, responsible gun owners. Howerver, moderate changes in state law (for example where you can carry, etc.) have a HUGE impact on us. I've been active on the TN Firearms Association forums, and have found John Harris to be knowlegeable and very dedicated to protecting TN gun owners. The main purpose of TNFA is to lobby in the state legislature. So, if you want to support a purely political advocacy organization that can make a real difference in our day-to-day rights, TNFA is worth looking into. And, of course as you all know, I am a big advocate of a personal reach-out to your local officials, many of whom will listen to an actual constituient more so than yet another lobbying organization.

Look at http://www.nrawol . I've worked hard for may years in our cause. In the past I've been an NRA member. Overall, I'd classify NRA as "some of the right stuff, but too much of the wrong stuff." In my case, I just can no longer stomach NRA calling for strong enforcement of unconstitutional laws which should be repealed, NOT enforced. That being said, I still respect your good folks here who disagree with me. I realize that there is room for disagreement between people on opposite sides of an issue yet who hold their views sincerely.

In my case, I'm an active member of Tennessee Firearms assoc. which is our state's foremost effective group working for our rights. If you have not, please do go to the web page of that fine group. http://www.tennesseefirearms.com very ably lead by Mr. John Harris, a prominent Nashville atty. who donates many billable hours of his time for free to work in our cause on capitol hill in Nashville.

As for our rights on a national basis, I work in two groups, Jews For The Preservation Of Firearms Ownership and Gun Owners of America. I've been active in both of these groups for many years. Both of these are, in my view, deserving of our support and encouragement.

Now then, I hope after saying this, that you other guys won't boot me from the forum. Each of us in our own way work to get our message out. Though I don't believe NRA is the way to go anymore, yet, to those of you who still remain a member and go that route, I still respect you and hold you in esteem. I hope you folks can afford me the same regard.

Respectfully, RN

The NRA of years gone by was, back then, very fine in it's message and work, but in my view the wrong people worked their way up to charge of that group thus weakening it from that time to this.

:DI'm a member of the NRA.

I'm not a member of any other groups...yet.

RN Medic, dude!! are you kidding? just because you DONT belong to the nra, but you belong to other pro gun groups..doesn't mean that you're ostracized.:D

we all fight to support the rkba in the manner that best suits our consciences.

I agree with randyC though...where does an 800lb gorilla sit?

and voodoo? I too got one of those cards..and guess what? under the 2007 ban, any shotgun with a telescoping stock is BANNED!:lol:

Guest Speedbump71

You bet I am. More important now than ever. There is a Friends of the NRA banquet coming up in August. It would be a good chance for some of us to get together.

8/16/2007 - 6:00 p.m. - Knoxville, Tennessee Location: Rothchild's Banquet & Catering

8807 Kingston Pike

Knoxville, TN 37923 Contact: Ryan Patrick @ Guns & More, Inc.

sales@gunsandmoreinc.com

Guest Archimedes

I notice there are no chapters in Putnam county.

~Archi

Guest StevensTN

Yes, Life Member. You won't find a better organization when it comes to full support of the shooting sports and defense of our rights. They provide support through legislation, training, charity, etc. Of course they aren't always right, none of us are. I think support of local organizations is also a good idea if you can swing it financially.

Considering how cheap membership is (couple of boxes of ammo) I think of it as one of the ways I can support our sport and defend our freedoms.

Guest RN MEDIC

My sincere thanks to those of you whose posts followed mine about NRA. To summarize, some of us believe in NRA, others don't. Some like GOA, JPFO, TFA etc. I'm thankful for the courteous tone of the replies. I intend to just leave it here at this. Nothing to be gained from "beating a dead horse to death all over again."

I'm grateful that though we disagree about the best method/organization, everyone commenting is busy working for our rights either in an organization, on their own, or both. Also, I've seen more people lately both on forums and in person finding people willing to learn about firearms/defense/shooting. Upon finding new people to these, the person is taking the newbie out to the range and actually having them learn shooting, most of the time on a .22 which is fine. On many such occasions, once the person learns that we hold very firmly to solid safety rules, obey laws and common sense, and act responsibly with our arms, that newbie is hooked on shooting and ready to buy a gun and get a permit to carry. That's one things that has sometimes been lacking in the past that I see a lot of now.

The situation in New Orleans with Katrina helped us a LOT. My friend who is an FFL dealer tells me that wholesalers/jobbers tell HIM that guns for defense sold in record numbers after that incident as did ammo. Some instructors report record attendance in classes after Katrina.

Great to see that we are enjoying some success in courts, with the rise in numbers of gun people, and especially we have more old timers stop moaning around the gun shop and actually taking new folks shooting thus winning converts.

So folks, take your choice of any or all the above. One guy tells his folks who listen to him about doing something for our cause saying, "whatever/which ever you choose to do, DO SOMETHING." Proud of the good people here who are obviously active not merely paying lip service. As one good patriot once told me, "we need pullers at the oars, not just passengers in the boat."

Respectfully, RN