Wyoming muzzleloader success........OR

.....Whompability & the .54 roundball

Before I post this, I'll apologise due to the lack of pictoral evidence. I rarely carry a camera at the best of times & crawling around Wyoming in a ghillie suit, whilst carrying a 9lb .54 Lyman Great Plains Rifle + all the accoutrements is not condusive to lugging photography clobber around.

Anyway, to the crux....

I just returned from 10 spectacular days in Wyoming & Montana. The reason for the trip wasn't really hunting, but I had a couple of Doe/Fawn Antelope tags in my pocket, just on the offchance.

After visiting with some very good old friends & a few days of sightseeing I managed to slope off for a day's stalking.

Man, hunting whitetail down here has really spoiled me redface.gif Hunting the Western Praries at the foot of the Rockies is TOUGH! 12" tall sagebrush as the only cover, unpredictable winds, animals with good eyesight, I tell you, it ain't no walk in the park!

I soon figured out that the only way to get within my comfortable range (50yds) of a group of antelope is in a ghillie suit, on my belly. It seems that I could walk upright to about 150yds of every group, as long as the wind was right, but inside of that they weren't hanging around to figure out what I wanted.

I made 3 failed stalks on different groups before I figured that out.

The fourth stalk went a lot better! I had seen a herd of 17 animals about 800yds from my hilltop & stalked upto 75yds. 17 sets of eyes were suddenly turned my way & I had nowhere left to go. I made a decision to take the last doe in the herd (the biggest) from my present, prone position. I've done plenty of shooting with my muzzleloader at 100yds+ & I know that I'm pretty much going to hit what I aim at, at that range. I'll admit I'm a LOT more comfortable at 50, but I figured that 75yds was no great shakes from a prone, rested position with little wind.

I waited for a full broadside position & placed the foresight directly on the back of her shoulder, set the trigger & touched off.....click.....crap (must get a new nipple cursing.gif ) I recocked the hammer, re-set the trigger, whispered a hurried prayer & touched off the 90gn FFG charge. The .530 roundball flew to the exact spot I'd aimed for & dropped the doe on the spot! Joy of joys, oh happy day! My first game with my GPR.

I got up to walk across the hill & claim my prize when I noticed a second 'lope, just over the brow of the low ridge my target had been standing on. She didn't look well, not well at all. I hurriedly re-loaded with thoughts of filling my second tag. I got the rifle mounted & ready to shoot when she toppled over. Figuring something was seriously wrong I decided to investigate & was utterly amazed to find her dead, right there with 2 broken front shoulders.

Yep, you got it, I managed a twofer. The second animal was bedded directly behind the one I'd shot at, hidden out of my sight in the sagebrush. The roundball passed straight through the first, without hitting heavy bone & continued on straight through the second!

Three things I learned from this;

1. Carry a freaking camera!

2. Be very, very aware of what's behind my target.

3. Respect the Roundball. Sabots & pointy bullets are for girls. :up:

If anyone's at all interested, I can take a photo of the inside of my new chest freezer......:rolleyes: There's over 100# of really nicely butchered meat in there (minus the roast that's in the smoker)

Here's a few 'mood' pics.....

Wyoming132.jpg

Wyoming195.jpg

Wyoming208.jpg

Wyoming251.jpg

Wyoming031.jpg

Wyoming258.jpg

Wyoming096.jpg

Wyoming038.jpg

Wyoming089.jpg

Wyoming055.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Near Pinedale WY right? Where did you go in MT? Did you pass through Jackson?

I drove upto Big Timber via Livingston. The little guy on the right in the picture of the 3 of us, is the ranch manager/caretaker of the Brokaw ranch. I spent 4 days living in Tom Brokaw's guest house (Name drop, name drop :D ) Unfortunately, Tom & Meredith were in California at the time, mediating the Governatorial debate.

I drove up through Jackson & into Yellowstone.

I got to see Old Faithful do it's thing (something I've wanted to see since I was a little kid) & experienced the 'town Elk' in Mammoth (possibly THE coolest thing ever!)

I came the longer way back, via Cody, to visit the Bridger museum & visit another good friend.

It was a hell of a road trip (4000 miles + in 14 days) but worth ever mile & drop of diesel. I got to see & visit places I've been reading about in Western novels for 30+ years. I'll be back next fall to see a little more of Yellowstone & top up the freezer with more 'lope meat (BEST burgers EVER!!!)