Marlin 1894 357 for deer, questions

Guest sneakboxer

Guest sneakboxer

I'm looking to supplement my 308 with a short and light lever gun. I was looking for a 44 or 30-30 when i happened on a 357mag. On paper the 357 seems kinda weak. What are your experiences on game with a 357? I'd like to get a 30-30 just to have one but they seem so boring and the 357 would be easier to reload for.

What is a far price for a used Marlin 1894 357 (no silly safety) in good condition?

I intend to use open sights for deer at no more than 100yds and most likely within 50yds.

Thanks for the help,

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The .357 Mag is very good from a rifle but still isn't the equal of a 30-30 or 35 Remington lever action rifle. The .44 Mag is a closer match to the 30-30 and 35 Remington but that "a closer match" says it all.

FWIW I like the .44 Mag in the Marlin 1894 and will most likely buy one one of these day's but I also really like the Marlin 336 in 30-30 I already have as well.

While I can't argue that there are better choices for deer hunting than the .357, it is still plenty of gun if you choose the right bullet. The little .357 Marlin is about the handiest gun made too. I have killed a deer with a .357 revolver and I have a buddy that hunts hogs in florida with a .357 Marlin. Hard cast, heavy bullets will do the trick out of the marlin. That Marlin with a set of Ghost Ring sights from XS Sights would be a nice addition.

I took my first rifle deer with a little .357 Rossi last year. 100 yard shot with a hollowpoint. I couldn't tell you the bullet manufacturer or weight as it was from a batch of handloads I got with the rifle. I can tell you that it was a pretty light load, certainly not up to factory load pressures.

The deer didn't take a single step. Pretty devastating round from a rile barrel!