Judge .410 slug or 45LC?

I bought a 4 inch Judge so that I could legally hunt/carry while hunting. If a shot presented its self, 25 yards or in, I may use it to take a deer. The question is should I load it with 410 slugs or 45LC? I realize the LC is much heavier but I feel like I would get more penetration (which is always a good thing;)) out of the slug. Just wanted to get others opinion or experience. If you feel neither is a good option, let me know as well. Honestly the odds of that shot presenting itself where I hunt would be slim to none, but since I will be carrying the judge, I was curious.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

According to that article your accuracy for the slug falls off dramatically at 15 yards so I would guess at 15-25 yards the 45LC would be your better bet.

Plus here shows a penetration comparison:

The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 3

Overall with reduced accuracy, less weight, smaller diameter, and less overall penetration the slug seems like a poor choice IMO.

From what I have read from various sources, In the larger Judge the 45LC is very effective, but in the Public Defender it looses some significant accuracy. So I am going to add my vote for 45LC.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.