Traveling from TN to SC and NC

Guest clutepc

Guest clutepc

I'm traveling sometime in Feb to South Carolina then North Carolina then back through TN.

I know the TN permit reciprocates to those states but how about if I decide to stop along the Blue Ridge Parkway or go to another park along the way.

If I unload the gun and keep it secured in the luggage in the trunk would that keep me legal?

I've looked up the guns laws for those states but you just about need to be a lawyer to understand how the laws completely read.

Any links or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TargetShooter84

I often wondered about that since I travel frequently to NC but I think its not a problem if you are carrying as long as you got a valid permit and explain that you are from TN and that you have a TN HCP, that you are a traveler...I dont think the cops will have a problem with that...but for state parks...its illegal.

Guest clutepc

If we were to unload the gun and pack it in the luggage is that still Illegal in the parks?

If so we'll end up just having to make the trip without...not that it would be the first time but now that we have permits I'd prefer to at least have a weapon at night in the hotel.

Thanks

We had a similar discussion about the Natchez Trace Parkway on another forum. Here is the e-mail answer I got form the Park Rangers office.

Under the Code of Federal Regulations (Title 36), an individual may transport a weapon in a vehicle on Park Service lands as long as: the weapon is unloaded, the weapon is broken down or made unusable - (ie. - magazine removed or weapon lock on revolvers), the weapon must be in a case and the weapon must be in a separate area, of the vehicle, than the ammunition. If the weapon is in the passenger area of the vehicle it must not be concealed.

The Federal Government does not recognize State weapons permits for personal carry of weapons in National Parks.

Thank you for inquiring and let us know if we can be of furhter service.

David Atkins

Staff Park Ranger

Natchez Trace Parkway

------

So I think you would be ok in what you plan to do.

Guest clutepc

Thanks for the Info, that helps back up some Info I found.

I have no problem with Locking up the gun while in those areas, I just hate to travel the whole trip without it..

Reciprocity or not I think if youre caught carry concealed in NC you should prepare yourself for a stay in jail. Perhaps the state police will have a clue but the locals for sure wont nor will they care. Personal freedoms arent much cherished there.

Reciprocity or not I think if youre caught carry concealed in NC you should prepare yourself for a stay in jail. Perhaps the state police will have a clue but the locals for sure wont nor will they care. Personal freedoms arent much cherished there.

Is there a particular location or situation that makes you say this? I am member of several national forums and have talked with NC members and participated in their threads since I have a brother that lives in NC...none have reported problems in general around the state. I have carried while in NC with no problem, granted no one knew to my knowledge.

Also I admit the list of off-limits places in NC is far greater than TN, but as long as you follow state law there shouldn't be any problem.

Is there a particular location or situation that makes you say this? I am member of several national forums and have talked with NC members and participated in their threads since I have a brother that lives in NC...none have reported problems in general around the state. I have carried while in NC with no problem, granted no one knew to my knowledge.

Also I admit the list of off-limits places in NC is far greater than TN, but as long as you follow state law there shouldn't be any problem.

Hi Fallguy,

As long as you stay concealed youre good. It becomes dicey at the point LE discovers you. I think the issue mostly boils down to laziness, ignorance of the law and disdain of our right to be armed. In case 1 its just too much effort to sort things out. Its far easier to make an arrest and let someone else take the time and be responsible to figure it all out. In case 2 there are some who havent educated themselves...and are probably happy that way. Being educated brings up case 1. In case 3 nothing you or the law can say will convince them you should be allowed. In their mind only LE is 'qualified'. Its also easier to sort out the criminals...anyone who is armed. Im basing all this on conversations Ive had w/ LE in various settings. So, my sampling isnt exhaustive.

I think its probably a good idea to have a printed copy of agreements w/ you. Im sure some in LE will entertain you and listen. Theyll do their research, figure it out and send you on your way....I dont think theyre in the majority though. Its much easier and safer to punt (arrest and let someone else be responsible).

In order to purchase a HG in NC you either have to have a carry permit or ask the sheriff/city LE for permission. If you go the 'mother may I' route you can be denied for virtually any reason. Its up to you to mount a defense...which can be expensive in time & money. Why would they have such laws? Given the degree of info stored on us and the ease w/ which it can be retrieved its hard to understand. Anyway, the tone set at the top seeks the lowest level. Then theres the high murder rate in the triangle...Id want to be armed for sure esp in Durham.

During my stay in NC the frequency of LE being in trouble for corruption was alarmingly high. The court system also has their issues (ala Nifong) as does state govt (Black etc). The root of the problem is most folks in NC are just happy to obey (even if its wrong) and move along in life w/o making waves. Nothings really going to change until they want it to. I will say Im used to living in places that honor our rights. NH and TN are very good about that sort of thing and more restrictions really are a rub.

Then theres MG/DDs & AOWs. In NC theyre referred to as 'weapons of mass destruction'. Ability of regular folks to have them is rare and spotty...some being more equal than others. No MGs in my book is a BIG black mark. This again requires approval of the sheriff/city LE. The state AG has already weighed in on corp ownership and you should be prepared for arrest and long legal battle if you go that route. Even if you jump thru all the hoops itll be hard to find a dealer willing to make a sale.

Sorry to be so long and I hope my position makes more sensenow.

Edited by jimg
Thanks jimg. I admit, next time I go see my brother I'll be just a tad more self-conscious.

I would recommend you do some homework and look at the NC gun laws. You can find them here: www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Its an eye opener for sure. I always had this (incorrect) impression that all of the south was very gun friendly. Thats just not the case. LOL...VT and NH have a far better record on gun rights than most southern states. In the south TN is the best. The people here are usually pretty vocal when the state is pulling a fast one (as when they tried for an income tax). From what ive read the legislature is extremely gun friendly. Its easy to become accustom to such freedoms and make the mistake that all feel the same.

As for carry in NC on your TN permit I would just stay out of trouble spots. Theres no reason LE should know youre carrying unless you have to use your weapon.

Guest clutepc

I use an MTAC, tuck a shirt over it and then wear another over that so it's not anything obvious.

I may just take it with me and keep it locked up until we stop during the night.

we'll see...

thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, the BRP is probably not a good area to go armed. Kinda like Applebee's. Concealed is indeed, concealed. The same is also true of the Appalachian Trail.

But if you don't carry in some places in the latter area, like around Unaka mountain, you might be considered a fool.

• 2 weeks later...