Belt/suspenders...?

Guest Steelharp

Guest Steelharp

Ok, is it just me and the way my goofy build is? To carry all day without sag-age, since I have no butt or hips and a bit extra middle... I need the belt to hold the holster, and suspenders to keep me from pulling it up all day. No matter how tight the belt is, it still heads south. Belt AND suspenders is really stupid, right? Or do some of y'all have to do this, too?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ghostrider
Get a shoulder holster and be done with it. Just always carry there.

Ed Zackie.

And if you need it, get one that loops around your belt and it will act as suspenders at the same time!!! :D:(:(

• Administrator

Minor tweak to the suggestion... vertical shoulder holster. People with horizontal rigs worry me sometimes because their finger doesn't always stay as far away from the trigger during draw as I'd like.

Muzzle pointed straight behind them + finger near trigger = bad bad bad vibe.

I'll add my vote for the vertical shoulder holsters. I've had verts forever. A friend loaned me his expensive whatever brand of horizontal. I find I like to get my carry weapon ready if things get tense. I was concerned the handgun would come out of the holster too easily if I released the thumb break.

I bought another shoulder holster after the trial of the friend's rig. I bought another vertical.

I'd suggest trying both and see which you like best.

As far as belts and suspenders, I still have most of my build in the right place. A bit of slippage of my chest into my midriff, but not bad. Belts still work for me, but both a belt and suspenders is not uncommon. Don't hesitate to use both if necessary.

Guest GlocKingTN
I'll add my vote for the vertical shoulder holsters. I've had verts forever. A friend loaned me his expensive whatever brand of horizontal. I find I like to get my carry weapon ready if things get tense. I was concerned the handgun would come out of the holster too easily if I released the thumb break.

I bought another shoulder holster after the trial of the friend's rig. I bought another vertical.

I'd suggest trying both and see which you like best.

As far as belts and suspenders, I still have most of my build in the right place. A bit of slippage of my chest into my midriff, but not bad. Belts still work for me, but both a belt and suspenders is not uncommon. Don't hesitate to use both if necessary.

I also agree with the vertical. And also agree with the belt and suspenders both. I dont think its uncommon at all. Do whatever makes you feel safe and comfortable.:D

Think about this in regards to horizontal. Sitting in your car driving, kids, mom, sister, dad, best friend, other friend, dog,etc sitting directly behind you and the poop hits the fan.....

Guest Steelharp

Guys, I really appreciate all the shoulder rig advice... but my business, the way I dress, that ain't an option. My gig allows extremely casual wear, even sweats... when I wear those, a SmartCarry fills the bill perfectly.

I own a jacket, I know I do... finding it, now... that'll be a chore...

Guess I'll just have to lose about 25 lbs...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jackdog

ok, you can go on a good workout binge and solve the problem. I've went from a 36" waist back to a 31" waist over the last 18 months. Started by just walking and then some light dumbells. now into walking, tread climber and a bow flex. start slow but stick with it. Numerous benefits, easier to carry, you feel better and look better you have more energy, and your a whole lot healther than 70 of the population. Oh and momma likes the change to. We carry for self defense being out of shape and overwieght just makes self defense that much tougher.

Jackdog

• 2 weeks later...

I wear Perry suspenders, which are designed to hook onto a belt (at least the ones I wear are).

I wear a concealment vest all the time, so i don't really worry too much about how it looks, since no one can see them anyway.

Guest Greentimber

A GOOD quality and heavy-duty gun belt will help. Don't try to carry your equipment on some POS Walmart pleather or canvas belt. Go ahead and spend the extra money on a real purpose-built gun belt. Gravity will always be there, but wearing a cheap belt will make it seem 10x worse.

Guest Phantom6

IMHO, generally speaking, stay away from shoulder rigs or any cross draw type for urban carry as I can foul your draw and pin hour strong hand to your belly in a "New York minute" and if I can do it, believe me just about anyone can.

I too have "middle age spread". In fact, I don't have love handles, I got LOVE RESTS. :up:

A decent set of suspenders or two are not expensive, would serve you well and you would still be able to continue with your belt strong side carry which is something you have obviously practiced with before and will not have to re-learn.

I once worked for a regional V.P. who was always a sharp dresser ($1000 suits and $150 shirts- and this was 20 years ago) tell me when he saw my belt buckle and suspenders, that a man that wore suspenders and a belt probably couldn't be really trusted in a tight spot because he didn't trust his equipment. I told him, as I revealed the 1911 on my hip, that a real man always had a back-up and then produced the .380 from my inside jacket pocket. Never had a sag problem (well, clothing anyways) and never caught guff for my fashion sense either. As a matter of fact, that fellow turned out to be a pretty good gunner after some lessons and some practice.