KKM Precision Barrel & Lead Bullet Problem

I purchased two KKM Precision barrels for my Glock 17 and Glock 34 so I could shoot lead bullets. I received the bullets yesterday from the Missouri Bullet Company. The bullets were 9mm .356 diameter, 125 grain RN, and the Brinell was 18. I loaded 20 bullets and went to the range to chronograph them. The bullets would not feed into the KKM barrel. The bullets actually stuck into the barrel and I had a difficult time opening up the slide and ejecting the round. The C.O.L. I used at first was 1.125. I did bring the C.O.L. down to 1.095 but the bullets still would not fit into the barrel. The bullets will fit into the stock Glock barrel and my STI Trojan 9mm without any problems. Has anybody else had this problem with KKM Precision barrels or any other after market barrel. If anyone has had this problem what did you do to correct the issue.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FroggyOne2

The general concensious in the bullseye world from what I have seen, is that KKM bbl's are good for jacketed bullets.. Bo-Sto is better suited for lead bullets.. What you have is a tight bore and chamber.. try some jacketed 115's.. if they won't feed and seat in chamber.. then you have a problem.. also.. did you check the lead bullets to see if they are in fact .356 dia.? generally, lead bullets will be a lil bigger so that they seal better in the bore. Also.. what is the twist of the bbl? Is it a 1-32 twist? or a 1-24? If it is a 1-32, that bbl is designed exclusively for the 115 gr bullet. for accuracy at 50 and 25 yards. The 1-32 twist bbl was designed by bullseye shooters whom shoot Service Pistol matches like the Presidents Hundred and Excellence - In - Competition Leg matches. Which are "Ball Ammo" matches.

tight chamber or short throat,.. you might need to taper crimp them a bit more.. hold a round up to a straight edge and see if all the "bell" is gone... if not tighten it up a smidge

a short throat would leave marks on the bullet

have you tried factory ammo yet ? if they work you have a sizing/crimp issue if they don't you may have a bad barrel/tight chamber it should feed factory which follows SAAMI Spec. Glocks have big chambers,.not sure about STI but it stands to reason it may be more of a "service" dimension instead of a "Match" tolerance , not an C.O.L. issue but a diameter issue..

If they weren't feeding I would check the feed ramp for smoothness, should look and feel like a mirror...

John

Thank for all the information on the barrel. To answer a few questions I did measure the bullet and it is a .356 dia. About the barrel twist I am not sure if it is a 1-32 or 1-24. I have been able to shoot not only factory but also my own FMJ 124 gr reloads without any issues. I have thought about crimping a little more and will try it this afternoon and will repost at that time.

Have you tried shooting them in your stock Glock barrels? I shoot hardcast lead in my Glock 22 and going to try them in my Glock 20SF.

I have not had any problem running hardcast lead 175gr SWC's bullets thru my G22. I do run them around 950-1,000 FPS which helps.

Hope you get it worked out.

Hello DWARREN123 I have not tried to shoot them out of the stock barrel at this time but the bullet did seem to fit ok in the chamber. Several of my shooting buddies do shoot lead out of their stock barrels and have told me that they have not had any problems. I will try it and let you know how things went.

i got several kkm glock barrels in 40 s&w (4), 9mm (3), and 45 acp (1). only had this problem with one of the 40 s&w barre (g23)l. the round would drop into the barrel with the barrel removed. but when in the gun the gun would not go into battery. only had theproblem with cast lead. no matter what brand of cast lead i used. i looked into a tight chamber or short throat. i did the taper crimp them a more,short the round, etc..., worked like a dog to get the barrel to work with cast lead. then before i was going to mail it back to kkm i took the dremel tool and polished the insides of the chamber and throat. did most of the work in the area around the lands/groves. this worked, the barrel works with any and all cast lead.