Test Firing today at Guns & Leather

graycrait

I had a lively hour today while shooting on one of the 10 lanes of Guns and Leather's indoor range. I needed to test out a few guns that I hadn't really test prior and check some magazines. I've been accused that I gravitate away from expensive firearms so I need to generally "tune up" what guns I get.

My presbyopic eyes do not let me see the front sight at all down there under their lighting system. I don't know if it is because there is no over head light in the booth or the oscillations of the fluorescent tubes, but I can't see the front sight of a pistol. Thankfully, I had my custom made shooting glasses that have my bifocals center of the lens. No I can't see the target so well this way but I can see the front sight clearly.

1. Success! (Free Gun) My silver Phoenix Arms HP22 runs like a top with the two magazines I have. I ran a few mags of Standard Velocity CCI 40 grain and they ran fine. I also ran some HV CCI just to see how it felt, although the HP22 is supposed to be a SV gun. That little gun is smooth and runs like a top. I will have to fix the other HP22 (Free Gun) I have cannibalized springs off of to get the "pretty" one working. I need to get a few new mags and new springs from Phoenix. I wish they made this gun out of something other than Zamak (pot metal) because it is a joy to shoot. Reasonably accurate- rapid fire you can keep the rounds in a 3" circle at 15 yards. OK, it ain't a S&W 41, but it was Free!!

2. Failure! "Free Gun" The Less Beer 1911 has to be refitted with a new extractor, hammer and sear. First off the hammer follows when you slingshot or release the slide with the slide lock lever. It doesn't follow all the way. It will not extract at all even though the casings could be shaken out by tilting the gun. So, new hammer/sear, recoil spring, extractor (parts I have collected along the way) and at least one new mag.

3. Success! ($275.00) My new to me 1988 1st Gen Glock 17 works like, well, a Glock! I put in new recoil, striker and trigger springs, took it to the range and blasted 4 x 17 rds through it lickety split.

4. Failure! (175.00) My black custom Star BM's front sight came off even after I used 2000lb 2-part epoxy it into its dovetail. It also failed to extract every few rds and it didn't matter which mag was in it. I need a new extractor and spring and will have to stake that front sight in

5. Success! (175.00) My Star BKM (aluminum) frame ran like gangbusters with all 6 magazines. For some reason this gun is easier to shoot than the two all steel versions. My OD steel Star BM (250.00 w/box and mags)is boringly reliable.

6. Success! I ran a few mags through my Rayskin G19 (mismarked police dept slide so got it NIB a few years ago for 375.). That is a good feeling gun in the hand. For carry it is great. The new Ameriglo tritium surrounded by the orangish/red ring help out in that light with my eyes.

December302010shoot.jpg

Edited by graycrait
added picture
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Les Baer is likely due to dropping the slide on an empty chamber, will do that to a 1911 like that in a heartbeat.

Yeah I'm working on getting better lighting down there, I have a hard time myself.

If that is a les Baer in the picture...............Les was stoned, drunk and blind when he built it. :D

Less Beer is what he wrote.:)

I like Star pistols, especially the BM sized ones. A Critical Look at the Star Model BM

I have 2 out of 3 that make decent carry guns right now 'cause they are "dehorned" slim and work. I'll get the 3rd one working, just some minor stuff. If you have a Star BKM you don't want I am especially interested. Never see those things for sale on the used shelves.

Daniel, I love your place and the range, but I had to adapt to the lights, which I have through my optometrist who tolerates my notions concerning fishing glasses, shooting glasses and other specialty glasses. You have a good problem in your store, even on a Thursday, you guys are busy as hell. No time for jawing with you fellas any longer and it has been that way for some time.

No, my no name 1911 was given to me as a project gun. I named it "Less Beer" because the guy who put together this Franken Gun should have been drinking less beer when he put it together. I expected it was going to have some issues, but was keeping my fingers crossed. Now I'll just change out some parts and give it another whirl - that is over half the fun in having guns for me. I have my old dependables but I do like to fiddle with stuff.

Craig in Clarksville

I had a bunch of centerfire handguns in different calibers from a variety of 1911s, to revolvers, FNs, M&Ps, etc. A few months ago I consolidated except for my project guns: the Stars, Less Beer, the HP22 and 3 beater steel revolvers that if I would get them running I could sell them for ammo money. I even consolidated my long guns and short and long .22s. But if I have to pick up a handgun that I know that will work every time these are what I reach for:

PlasticGuns101.jpg