Excuse Me can I borrow..?? Panhandlers!!

Guest clutepc

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just about to start carrying (HCP due any day), and I've been wondering if putting your hand on your pistol and giving them a peek at it without actually drawing, is acceptable and legal.

I'd assume it's legal, because it's still holstered and at this point it is no different than open carrying. I guess it could be considered brandishing, but not sure.

Is there any tactical reason not to do this? Like, now they absolutely know you are carrying and could try to get the jump on you?

My mindset is, pull it out only if you really intend to use it.

Guest bkelm18
I'm just about to start carrying (HCP due any day), and I've been wondering if putting your hand on your pistol and giving them a peek at it without actually drawing, is acceptable and legal.

I'd assume it's legal, because it's still holstered and at this point it is no different than open carrying. I guess it could be considered brandishing, but not sure.

Is there any tactical reason not to do this? Like, now they absolutely know you are carrying and could try to get the jump on you?

Brandishing your weapon is a no no. But if you put your hand on it and they by chance "get a peek" at it, that's fine. Just as long as you don't whip it out prematurely and start threatening someone with it.

My instructor said that if you touch it you better be pulling it (that is, being justified). He cited "brandishing" and "menacing threat" as very subjective rulings. No problem showing it though. Just be careful and err on the side of safer than sorry IMO.:eek:

Guest bulletproof

Some years ago my wife sent me downtown to buy some watercolor paper for her that could only be found at one store on Broad. When I came out, I suddenly had a bible thumper on one arm and a hooker on the other. Unknown to me, the hooker slipped her business card (yep, a hooker with a business card) into my shirt pocket before I could get away from both of them. When my wife was doing the laundry the business card fell out and if I hadn't been standing there and blurted out an explanation so fast, she probably would have killed me.

Guest supergus

When I lived in DUrham, NC there was a guy who stood at a freeway offramp every day panhandling. One day I was the second car in line at the stop sign and the guy in the car in front of me rolled his window down and tried to hand the guy an apple and a ham sandwich. This guy had the balls to tell the driver he didn't eat apples or ham! To top it off, evrytime the guy wasn't there, he would leave all his soda cans and wrappers at the bottom of the stop sign. From then on I just told him I made a food donation at the soup kitchen( which I sometimes do) And that maybe he should ride his new mountain bike over there! I actually saw him leave an apartment several times with his backpack, even though his sign said "Homeless, please help)

Edited by supergus
clean up duplicate posts

Chattanooga's current solution to curb panhandling is refurbished and decorated parking meters.You are to put your spare change in them and the money collected will go to homeless shelters:shake:

Edited by et45
dry heaves
Guest triggertime

There's a Denny's commercial that I just saw that has Paulie Walnuts

from the Sopranos in it playing his character.

He orders a breakfast from a fast food joint, and when his food is

ready, just before he's given his tray of food, he pays with monopoly

money.

Fast food guy: "I can't accept this..."

Paulie: "Why not?"

Fast food guy: "....its not real money..."

Paulie: (looks at his food tray) "...well this ain't a real breakfast..."

I'm using this bit next time I'm approached by a panhandler.

I'll give them monopoly money.

Panhandler: "Hey! This ain't real money!"

Me: "....well you ain't a real panhandler....get a f'n job..."

Priceless... :rolleyes: