Hi-Point 995 Carbine.

Will Carry

I finally got a chance to shoot my Christmas present from my kids. A Hi-Point model 995 9mm carbine with a laser sight and a compensator. I did not know what to expect from a $250 gun but I was surprised to find that this little thing is great fun.

Right out of the box (I did run a brush through the barrel) it never failed once in 100 rounds of WWB target loads (Winchester White Box). I adjusted the laser first, at 25 yards, then I used the red dot to adjust the open sights.

25 yards is supposed to be the same as 100 yards for sight adjustment.

I understand that Hi-Point is working on a 20 round magazine, which I will purchase asap. It comes with only one 9 round magazine, which is kind of lame but what do you expect?

My wife thought it was an AK47 LOL! But I have heard these little rifles referred to as American AKs. I wouldn't go that far, but it is a lot of fun for the money.

995LAZTS_1.jpg

Edited by Will Carry
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice little shooter. I have a 995 with the old style stock and am trying to decide whether or not to fool with changing it out. Mostly I am considering it because I'd like to put a cheap red dot on mine but the only way to do that with the old style stock is to remove the rear iron sights which I don't want to do. I hope that Hi-Point does release a higher cap mag for these. ProMag makes some, I think, but they are hit or miss from what I have heard. BTW, unless they have changed something from the older ones, the mag that came with it should be a 10 rounder not a 9 rounder.

I may buy a Sub2000 if I get on a carbine kick. I choose the Hi-Point becuase I could mount my red dot scope on it. My eyes ain't what they used to be and open sights are kind of blurry. I have always used open sights even one my 30.06. The open sights on the Hi-Point are similar to the AR-15 style open sights, which I don't particularly like.

I wanted a pistol caliber carbine so I could shoot a rifle at my indoor range. I live in a suburban jungle and don't get shoot outdoors much. It's hard being a country boy in the big city, but that's where the money is, I recon. My family still lives in rural Alabama. They don't make much money but they don't need much money.

I was surprised to find that this little thing is great fun.

I don't shoot mine a lot, but had to agree it's great fun, accurate and darned reliable. I shoot a lot of 9mm and bought it just to have something resembling a long gun in a pistol caliber. I too was greatly surprised.

With iron sight I was drilling the 10 ring at 25 yards, about a far as my old eyes will work. Just added a cheap scope so I can see how far out I can make it go. I've seen some people say they can take them out to 150 yards. We'll see, lol.

Great little shooter though, enjoy!

Guest Aces&8s

I love my 995. I have had a few Hi-Points, and have sold them all over the years (even though I never had a problem with them... they all have functioned perfectly), but I have held on to the 995. It is just a lot of fun, and accurate as well. Mine is in the old style camo stock, and came with the laser. Great gun, especially considering how little it cost me.

Guest highvoltage

i have 2 of hi-point 995s the new ts and the older one that i put the ati stock on. i am glad to see there getting the recognition they deserve. you just can not beat them for the money and warranty. i have not heard of this 20 round mag but i hope its true the 10 rounder is the only drawback i have with them.

... i have not heard of this 20 round mag but i hope its true the 10 rounder is the only drawback i have with them.

Me either, but if true it'll have to hang down well below the pistol grip, which will negate some of the advantage of compactness for the weapon?

- OS

That would be the "million dollar question"...I have never shot the gun, therefore, never used the mags....

Well, the HP carbine is such a rare and exquisite creature that I can understand it being a safe queen only, purely a long term investment. :stare:

- OS

Guest highvoltage

i do not have the 15 round mag myself. but i understand some have problems and others do not so there hit and miss. think i will pickup a couple and give them a try

i do not have the 15 round mag myself. but i understand some have problems and others do not so there hit and miss. think i will pickup a couple and give them a try

I think ProMag pays a few folks off just to perpetuate the rumor on gun forums that ANY of them work reliably.

Hell, even the Hi-Point mags aren't rock solid.

- OS