M1 ammo in the Nashville area

Guest carrothospital

Guest carrothospital

Does anyone know where I can get 30-06 M1 ammo in the Nashville area? I only need a small quantity, maybe even just 2 or 3 clips.

I put an order in with the CMP, but it's going to take at least 2 months. I've got some family coming into town that wanted to give it a go and I only have 5 loose rounds!

If anyone has any idea where to get it, or has a few clips they wouldn't mind letting me have for a fee, let me know.

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regular hunting 30 06 won't work ? If not try Reloaders Bench in Mt Juliet.

No, it is not recommended for use in the Garand. I've seen Hornady M1 Garand ammo at Montgomery County Shooting Complex, you might give them a call and see if they still have it. Reloaders' Bench wouldn't be a bad place to check for that either. Federal also makes Garand spec ammo.

Depending on your timeline, A2G has some: Ammunition To Go : 48rds - 30-06 Greek HXP 150gr. M2 Ball Ammo on Garand Clips [GREEK192] - $37.95

They're pretty good on shipping, should have it to you in 3 days to a week.

Edited by JeffL
Why not?

Modern hunting ammo has a higher chamber pressure than M2 Ball ammo. Modern loads can bend the operating rod and crack the receiver on the old M1 Garand. You can buy an aftermarket gas plug to bleed off some of that pressure and make modern loads safe for the Garand.

Guest carrothospital

Thanks for the replies, guys. I just sent a PM to TNRobocop, so hopefully I am good to go. I don't know why I never thought to look on Ammunition To Go. I guess when I think of surplus M1 ammo, I exclusively think of the CMP.

Thanks for the help!

Modern hunting ammo has a higher chamber pressure than M2 Ball ammo. Modern loads can bend the operating rod and crack the receiver on the old M1 Garand. You can buy an aftermarket gas plug to bleed off some of that pressure and make modern loads safe for the Garand.

I believe you are thinking of not chamber pressure but "port" pressure where the gas is bled off to cycle the rifle,..using the newer hunting stuff tends to bend operating rods..due to a longer peak pressure curve throughout the firing cycle as opposed to the curve of the powder it was designed around, "IMR-4895" the aftermarket plug has gotten some good reviews once set up properly... I just roll my own using the appropriate powders. The Reloader's Bench sometimes has bandoleers on the floor just inside the door to the left..sometimes you can get lucky and score a "spam can" too..

John