Kel-Tec PMR 30

Bad_Bowtie

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The early production ones have a problem and should be sent back to kel tec for a fix -- I do not know if its an official recall or just strongly suggested that you do so.

They are hard to find, best bet is to buy one off the internet and ship it to your FFL. Plenty of folks have them, but you wont see any at a gun store or a show (in general) nor has it been out long enough for a lot of used ones to circulate.

I talked to a guy at the Murfreesboro gun show who bought one at Reloaders Bench. He told me that it was 369, 405 out the door. He said it did not like the winchester ammo and he got some CCI maxi mags (recommended ammo) to run through it.

Its billed on the KT site as automatically adjusting to handle a wide variety of ammo. There should not be a "recommended" ammo for it, officially. From their description:

The PMR-30 operates on a unique hybrid blowback/locked-breech system. This operation system allows for the use of a wide variety of ammunition as it seamlessly adjusts between locked breach and blowback operation, depending on the pressure of the cartridge.

So if it fails to work regularly and only likes 1 ammo type, something is wrong.... The more I hear about this thing, the happier I am that I picked the plr-16 instead (it was a pick between these 2 guns for me). Sounds like they need to get some kinks worked out on this one.

I saw one back in Dec. at Frontier Firearms. Very lightweight.... almost felt like an airsoft gun. Not exactly what I was expecting. However, I think it would be great fun!!! Just think, you could put as much lead down range as the A Team (who never seemed to need to reload!). I'd just hope your aim is better!

I had the old "Grendel" model and it looks similar and that thing would only digest Federal and Winchester FMJ. The 22 magnum is hard to make feed right in a semi-auto. I would be leary that it will ever feed a variety of hollow points.

Guest kiltednerd

There were 2 that came through last weekends show. One guy was just looking for offers, the other my buddy bought for 450.00.

My first impression was I had to have one, but after getting my hands on it, it kinda feels like a cheap plastic toy gun. I guess thats ok, but for that kinda cash, I expected a little more....

There is another show this weekend at the Jubilee Center behind Lowes on Clinton Hwy.

I had the old "Grendel" model and it looks similar and that thing would only digest Federal and Winchester FMJ. The 22 magnum is hard to make feed right in a semi-auto. I would be leary that it will ever feed a variety of hollow points.

Are the .22 hollowpoints that different? The few I have seen look like someone tapped the nose of a solild point with a needle, and I would not think it has any effect on feeding (?).

They claim that the gun has a "hybrid" system that allows it to automatically adjust to different types of ammo. However, as was mentioned in this post, there have been some problems with the pistol. This seems to be the norm for Kel Tec. They produce some very innovative designs, hype them up, send them out without working out the kinks, fix all of the original production guns, then end up with a reliable lightweight firearm. I'll likely pick one up, but I'll be waiting a while for the bugs to get worked out of them.

I thought the old Grendel was a great idea but it was a cheap made pistol and it was not accurate at all. It was fun to put 30 rounds in and just have fun making some noise but that got old after awhile.

"Are the .22 hollowpoints that different?" No but it didn't take much for one to hang up.