Same old malfunction...Easy fix?

Guest mbushell

Guest mbushell

The case mouth (slight lip where brass starts and bullet ends) on my .45 cal reloads, or factory ammo seems to get caught against the side of the chamber mouth sometimes. In other words the case (new round) is pinched between the chamber opening and the part of the slide that has the firing pin. It's the only problem I have ever had from my gun. The chamber has a hood, and shiny feed ramp, but the sides are sharp and square. Would a micro file to create a slight bevel or roundover there be a good simple fix, or does that need to be sharp and square for some purpose. I have a Taurus pt845, and it is a fairly rare problem (1 in 100 or so). a quick rap on the slide will make it close every time, but it still bugs me

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mbushell
The case mouth (slight lip where brass starts and bullet ends) on my .45 cal reloads, or factory ammo seems to get caught against the side of the chamber mouth sometimes. In other words the case (new round) is pinched between the chamber opening and the part of the slide that has the firing pin. It's the only problem I have ever had from my gun. The chamber has a hood, and shiny feed ramp, but the sides are sharp and square. Would a micro file to create a slight bevel or roundover there be a good simple fix, or does that need to be sharp and square for some purpose. I have a Taurus pt845, and it is a fairly rare problem (1 in 100 or so). a quick rap on the slide will make it close every time, but it still bugs me

Is my question just stupid, or does no one have an answer

No, it's not, just trying to understand it.

I think maybe with just a slight crimp it should fix what you're describing.

Sometimes filing fixes most problems, but a little too much filing, in the

wrong place could make for a new problem. I need to see some pictures.

Guest mbushell

Showed a guy the gun at uspsa shoot today. the gun ran well at the match, but did mal. once. Took a dremel to it tonight and gave the chamber a very slight roundover. Ive been crimping, and even factory would do it. The edge was so sharp yuo could cut yourself. Hopefully the prob is fixed.

...Showed a guy the gun at uspsa shoot today. the gun ran well at the match, but did mal. once. Took a dremel to it tonight and gave the chamber a very slight roundover. Ive been crimping, and even factory would do it. The edge was so sharp yuo could cut yourself. Hopefully the prob is fixed.....

mb:______________

When you do your next batch of reloads, you may want to run a chamfer tool around the outside of the case mouth as well as the inside. That will bevel the brass just a tad. Sometimes you will find new brass that has a small burr on both the inside and outside of the case mouths. It must show up from the factory trimming the cases to final length. All that being seid; I would almost bet that you've fixed the problem with "easing" the edges of the chamber.

Hope ya got it fixed

leroy