Survival Gun Maintenance

Guest bkelm18

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it is overrated.

Your bootlaces will work as a boresnake. Lube can be gotten about anywhere.

I have a Model 60 that is over 30 years old. In my younger days I did not give two craps about gun care. I finally cleaned and lubed it for the first time a couple of years ago.

If your handgun or rifle will not stand up to several hundred rounds through it over a few years or even many years with little to no care you really ought to think about why you are keeping that particular gun for the end of the world. You are not going to be shooting thousands of rounds anymore.

My basic plan is an AR and two Glocks. A full size .40 and subcompact .40 the full size has a 9mm conversion barrels so I have option in the event of ammo shortages. I have the Otis Molle tool kit on my BOB. It's light and seems to be an all around great cleaning kit.

I made some grease tubes from some plastic tubes I found in a hobby store. Take a nail and pound it flat on the end, shape it with a bench grinder and deburr it, then JB weld it in the tube cap. Filled it with Lucas red high temp/pressure grease. I'm gonna make about a half dozen of these and put them in my different packs and what not.

I like the Lucas red grease, I use it very sparingly on my pistol rails. I put enough in this one tube to last for many many years, provided it don't dry out. The tube is sealed pretty well though.

photo-1.jpg

Guest mosinon
i think it is overrated.

Your bootlaces will work as a boresnake. Lube can be gotten about anywhere.

I have a Model 60 that is over 30 years old. In my younger days I did not give two craps about gun care. I finally cleaned and lubed it for the first time a couple of years ago.

If your handgun or rifle will not stand up to several hundred rounds through it over a few years or even many years with little to no care you really ought to think about why you are keeping that particular gun for the end of the world. You are not going to be shooting thousands of rounds anymore.

This seems right to me. If you are packing the thousands of rounds it takes to make a decent weapon not fire then you've made some bad decisions about what to take in your BOB.

Guest mikedwood

I have a small plastic sample of CLP in my BOB with a boresnake. Takes up no room. I figure that will get me started. If the shtf and you make it to that 2nd gun cleaning ( I think the 1st should be as soon as you find out the SHTF.) Then #1 you are probably going to be OK for awhile and #2 probably are savey enough to find some more cleaning supplies.

I went through my BOB last week and found some expired or soon to be expired food and meds. So I restocked with some further out food and meds. I know most of it is OK after expiration but who knows when I will check the bag again. Next time could be to late.

Which with BK's question gets me thinking:

Depending on how much time you BOB sits there some semi autos (rifles and pistols) can become non functional from just laying * around until a good lube. Would be best to keep a little something in there. Just a thought.

* Comment not applicable to Glocks :cool:

Guest ochretoe

I have basically gone to .357 guns only. I have a marlin lever and three revolvers. in my BOB is a 2" and my original S&W 681 is always close. I am setting up to roload and hope to keep a good number of primers, bullits and brass on hand. In the short term I don't plan to run but I have a very large chunk of land ,13,000 acres, I can block off and hide out in. Drop a few big trees and foot and horse traffic only is all I will have to worry about. good thread.

This.

That's why I'll bug with a 9mm Glock. Considering all options, it makes sense. Reason being, I feel like 9mm is to be the most common pistol caliber, even in international circles. Then there's the point that so many LEA's carry the Glock frame, as well as the 'wannabe gangstas' and general enthusiasts (me)...there likely will be lots and lots of parts / accessories around one way or another.

All of my bug-out/in options center around a 9mm Glock.

What he said, as for cleaning, any weapons cleaning I need done with any weapon can be done with motor oil, a rag, and a toothbrush.