Survival Gun Maintenance

Guest bkelm18

Guest bkelm18

I looked but didn't see a thread addressing this, but what provisions do you all have for firearm maintenance in a survival situation? Short to long term. Cleaning, lubricating, spare parts?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
I looked but didn't see a thread addressing this, but what provisions do you all have for firearm maintenance in a survival situation? Short to long term. Cleaning, lubricating, spare parts?

Great, great, great idea! This has been on my mind lately, and I've been thinking about what parts would be best to be kept in spares. It has even made me consider keeping my bug-out gun options to a revolver and a lever or bolt long rifle, just for the simplicity of mechanisms. Of course, then the other part of me thinks that if I've gotten to the point that I've worn out a Glock extractor or firing pin, then the 's' has hit the fan, dried, crusted, and turn to dust that has decomposed back to carbon elements:D

Great topic.

I have also considered this, and I think both of you are correct in your thoughts on it. I think it is best to stick with as simple as possible, which to me means choosing firearms that aren't highly customized or require lots of finicky work to keep them running right. There's also something to be said for modern quality firearms and their durability. When I considered my survival options, I thought about the following:

1) What will I be using it for primarily? Hunting, self-defense? Ideally, it should be good enough for both.

2) How common is the firearm? If it's common enough, there should be plenty of spare parts out there or other specimens to use as a parts gun.

3) How easy will it be to get ammo? I'm certain that if the poo really hit the fan, .454 Casull is not going to be easy to find. I'm sticking with common calibers and NATO issue calibers.

As far as spare parts, I figure that keeping some spare springs and basic small parts is all you need for a quick repair. You can research the particular firearm you are considering and see what parts usually break on them. Chances are, however, that any good quality modern firearm will outlive you with only minimal repair.

The first thing to do would be pick a gun that does not need spare parts, is simple in design, made of plastic and stainless mostly so it does not rust up, etc.

I wouldnt worry about lube. If the end of the world arrives and you cannot find any grease or oil, something nuts happened. Worst case scenario you can pull the plug out of an old car & use the motror oil (dirty, and not optimal, but its usable). With any luck, you can find a bit of usable oil or grease anywhere near a home.

So focus on having a few of those rod&reel wipedown cloths (they last forever, a supply of 20 or so would last the lifetime of the gun if you are careful). A cleanng kit is nice, you at least want a bore brush and a rod. Solvent isnt needed, you can just wipe down the gun inside with a rag and get it clean.

Spare parts? If your gun is cheap, such as a simple, inexpensive .22 LR, buy the same gun 3 or 4 times and strip off the stocks and barrel from 2 of them to carry as parts, stash the other 2 as intact backups.

I would probably have a bolt (lever is same) action bigger caliber gun, and a revolver for a pistol -- the idea is to have a gun that is simple to maintain and operate. Semi autos are just too prone to TLC with the need for springs, ejectors, constant cleaning, mag springs and failures, and more. For long term survival, the semi autos probably need to be reserved for a combat scenario (rioting and looting and chaos phase of a breakdown) and not be expected to be used long term.

If you have optics, you want a quality, no battery scope and have your sights on it or with it to replace if it gets damaged.

Guest bkelm18
The first thing to do would be pick a gun that does not need spare parts, is simple in design, made of plastic and stainless mostly so it does not rust up, etc.

I wouldnt worry about lube. If the end of the world arrives and you cannot find any grease or oil, something nuts happened. Worst case scenario you can pull the plug out of an old car & use the motror oil (dirty, and not optimal, but its usable). With any luck, you can find a bit of usable oil or grease anywhere near a home.

So focus on having a few of those rod&reel wipedown cloths (they last forever, a supply of 20 or so would last the lifetime of the gun if you are careful). A cleanng kit is nice, you at least want a bore brush and a rod. Solvent isnt needed, you can just wipe down the gun inside with a rag and get it clean.

Spare parts? If your gun is cheap, such as a simple, inexpensive .22 LR, buy the same gun 3 or 4 times and strip off the stocks and barrel from 2 of them to carry as parts, stash the other 2 as intact backups.

I would probably have a bolt (lever is same) action bigger caliber gun, and a revolver for a pistol -- the idea is to have a gun that is simple to maintain and operate. Semi autos are just too prone to TLC with the need for springs, ejectors, constant cleaning, mag springs and failures, and more. For long term survival, the semi autos probably need to be reserved for a combat scenario (rioting and looting and chaos phase of a breakdown) and not be expected to be used long term.

If you have optics, you want a quality, no battery scope and have your sights on it or with it to replace if it gets damaged.

I agree on the lubrication. Oil can be found anywhere really. For cleaning, I think a bore-snake and a couple rags would last a good long time. I also agree that a revolver would be easy to take care of but I think I'd also bring one or two of my auto handguns if I can. I might look into picking up a spare spring kit since that's really one of the few things that could go wrong in a quality handgun after some heavy use. Maybe a spare ejector/extractor.

Guest bkelm18
Great, great, great idea! This has been on my mind lately, and I've been thinking about what parts would be best to be kept in spares. It has even made me consider keeping my bug-out gun options to a revolver and a lever or bolt long rifle, just for the simplicity of mechanisms. Of course, then the other part of me thinks that if I've gotten to the point that I've worn out a Glock extractor or firing pin, then the 's' has hit the fan, dried, crusted, and turn to dust that has decomposed back to carbon elements:D

Great topic.

Yeah it's a thought provoking topic. I mean we all talk about grabbing our B.O.B. and getting out of dodge, and usually grabbing a gun or three, but I haven't really seen long term care of those guns discussed. I'm with ya on spare parts. If you've got a good gun and you get to the point of having to replace items that are worn out just from use, not only must you have had a massive supply of ammo but that means some serious doomsday stuff has gone down. Then again, you always gotta keep Murphy's Law in mind. :)

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the whole thing. If I really had to bug out with what I could carry, it would probably be my AR carbine and my M&P 9. I would at least grab enough stuff to make up a basic field cleaning kit, and a spare bolt for the AR. If it's bad enough to run from my house, it could very well include a short life expectancy. In the event of a full blown nuclear war, I would be more inclined to run toward ground zero, not away from it.

Guest 6.8 AR

I have never had a failure in any of my Glocks, so one or two of those would come with me, and

one of my AR's, likewise. Boresnakes for each and buis. But like Mike said, preparing for something like

Armageddon is difficult to grasp. Carrying something out the door you won't have to think much

about is the choice for me. I have several lever guns, also, and one of those might end up with me.

Or my AK and an ammo can.

In a survival setting I think things that may seem temporary are going to become more permanent

the longer they last and you're going to need something more than a reliable gun quicker than you

might think.

The stuff I listed already weighs a ton. Frugality will be a must.

Guest nicemac

In a real s-h-t-f situation, there will eventually be guns and ammo laying around on the ground. Just pick up what you need/can carry.

Guest Bronker
In a real s-h-t-f situation, there will eventually be guns and ammo laying around on the ground. Just pick up what you need/can carry.

This.

That's why I'll bug with a 9mm Glock. Considering all options, it makes sense. Reason being, I feel like 9mm is to be the most common pistol caliber, even in international circles. Then there's the point that so many LEA's carry the Glock frame, as well as the 'wannabe gangstas' and general enthusiasts (me)...there likely will be lots and lots of parts / accessories around one way or another.

All of my bug-out/in options center around a 9mm Glock.

keep it clean and oiled,and it should take care of you, also keep something that parts could be found if you did have to have them. most good guns will hold up under a lot of hard times. i try to stay with military rifles and pistols but i also trust my xd40's. if you have good guns and ammo you can get the rest if it came down to it

Guest bkelm18

Yeah, I guess if you really get down to it, a complete dissolution of society (a la "The Road") is pretty far fetched and probably beyond the realm of the level of preparedness we need to be concerned with. An EMP pulse or a solar event are far more likely. Society will still exist, at least for the time being, and maintenance and repair should be fairly easy. If you get to the point of pushing a shopping cart for hundreds of miles while evading cannibals, I suppose as Bronker put it, it's hit the fan and gotten crusty.

ETA: Yes I realize saying "EMP pulse" is redundant. I know someone will call me on it sooner or later. :screwy:

Edited by bkelm18
Guest Bronker
...An EMP pulse or a solar event are far more likely. Society will still exist, at least for the time being, and maintenance and repair should be fairly easy...

Aah, you must have read "One Second After". I've read several post-Apocolyptic fictional (or is it?) accounts of such events. That one scares the crappiola out of me. Very feasible. My thoughts are however, if that is even a remotely accurate account of what would happen, then a man who has a few functioning guns, plenty of ammo, and a month of staple rations, is already light-years ahead of the masses. I have to keep reminding myself that if SHTF does occur, then my mindset alone...let alone level of preparedness...puts me in the top 2% of Americans that will have any inkling of what to do to survive. The other guys in that 2% are not going to be warring against each other. They will be as busy as you trying to survive. It's the 98% of the unprepared, panicked that we'll have to worry about.

Sorry, Bkelm18 for diverting the thread. I just had this thought.

Guest bkelm18
Aah, you must have read "One Second After". I've read several post-Apocolyptic fictional (or is it?) accounts of such events. That one scares the crappiola out of me. Very feasible. My thoughts are however, if that is even a remotely accurate account of what would happen, then a man who has a few functioning guns, plenty of ammo, and a month of staple rations, is already light-years ahead of the masses. I have to keep reminding myself that if SHTF does occur, then my mindset alone...let alone level of preparedness...puts me in the top 2% of Americans that will have any inkling of what to do to survive. The other guys in that 2% are not going to be warring against each other. They will be as busy as you trying to survive. It's the 98% of the unprepared, panicked that we'll have to worry about.

Sorry, Bkelm18 for diverting the thread. I just had this thought.

Oh it's alright. I started this thread for a discussion, I wasn't really looking for pointers per se. I agree that being prepared is a top priority, but I imagine there's such a thing as being too prepared? I've actually never read "One Second After", it's on my list though. Just through my own personal musings, some form of electrical disruption seems to be the most likely "spark" that will cause pandemonium and would necessitate a need to "survive". Of course all this preparation only ensures that nothing will ever happen and it will all have been in waste. :screwy:

i have 2 ww2 sniper rifles for long range k98 and a mosin nagant,vz58 and a mak 90 for up close and some sks for their back up but i am looking at ar's also.after 21 years in the military i want one because the ammo will be easy to come by.

Guest nicemac
This.

That's why I'll bug with a 9mm Glock. Considering all options, it makes sense. Reason being, I feel like 9mm is to be the most common pistol caliber, even in international circles. Then there's the point that so many LEA's carry the Glock frame, as well as the 'wannabe gangstas' and general enthusiasts (me)...there likely will be lots and lots of parts / accessories around one way or another.

All of my bug-out/in options center around a 9mm Glock.

Handgun is nice, but you need a rifle to really protect yourself long term.

Handgun is nice, but you need a rifle to really protect yourself long term.

I think it's safe to follow the military's logic. If you have to be in defensive mode everywhere you go (inside and out), you just can't beat an M4 style carbine. I would certainly have a pistol with me too, but I wouldn't depend on it as the ultimate defense weapon. One guy with a 30/30 can eat your lunch.

I like the idea of bore snakes. I'm not prepared at all for a SHTF situation but I really don't think it would matter how prepared I am. I live in the city, if it happens I'm going to be boned no matter what. I highly doubt there is anything I could do.

Guest nicemac
For survival maintenance and cleaning you just can't beat the OTIS system. I have one on each of my MOLLE packs.

I bought a Saber AR last year. An OTIS kit came with it. I wasn't familiar with it before that. Great concept.