Introduction of the new Ruger LCP .380

Guest jackdog

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The height and width of the Ruger is larger than the Kel-Tec, but not by a lot. Neither is a good idea for a back pocket gun, but looks OK.

Listen to the audio at http://www.downrange.tv/shotshow2008/?p=11 and look at http://www.ruger.com/LCP/index.html. They talk about their innovation. But it looks almost exactly like a P3AT gen 1.

Price is supposed to be around $330. So it looks like a more expensive, older design ripoff of the P3AT.

But who knows? I'll wait for some field reports. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kel-Tec drop their prices a bit.

Guest bkelm18
Whats the difference is an P3AT and a PF9?

Well, obviously other than the PF9 being chambered for 9mm (P3AT is chambered for .380 Auto), the PF9 is a wee bit larger, borderline too big for pocket carry IMO. The PF9 also has a slide lock while the P3AT does not.

PF9

Calibers: 9mm Luger

Weight unloaded (no magazine) : 12.7 oz.

Loaded magazine : 2.8 oz.

Length : 5.85"

Height : 4.3"

Width : .88"

Barrel Length : 3.1"

Capacity : 7 + 1 rounds

P3AT

Calibers : .380 AUTO

Weight unloaded lbs. : 8.3 oz.

Loaded magazine : 2.8 oz.

Length : 5.2"

Height : 3.5"

Width : .77"

Capacity : 6 + 1 rounds

Edited by bkelm18
Guest TNDixieGirl

Now for the really dumb question, which is bigger, 380 or 9mm? And is 380 bigger than .22? I already know 9mm is bigger than .22 because I have both of those already.

Nothing is obvious to people that haven't owned guns their entire lives.

And I don't mean that to sound as pissy as it does, but I didn't know how else to say it. :D

Guest bkelm18
Now for the really dumb question, which is bigger, 380 or 9mm? And is 380 bigger than .22? I already know 9mm is bigger than .22 because I have both of those already.

Nothing is obvious to people that haven't owned guns their entire lives.

And I don't mean that to sound as pissy as it does, but I didn't know how else to say it. :D

The 9mm and the .380 Auto use the same size bullet (part that shoots out of the gun), however, the case length behind that bullet is shorter on the .380 than on the 9mm, making the .380 less powerful than the 9mm. I believe the .380 auto bullet and the 9mm bullet are both actually .357 inches wide, which is quite a bit larger than a .22, which is of course, .22 inches wide.

Guest TNDixieGirl

Boom that is the most PERFECT link I could ever ask for. I have zero knowledge of different calibers and that helps me tremendously to see them side by side like that. Thank you.

It looks to me as if a .380 is just a short 9mm.

Sorry for the hijack guys.

Guest bkelm18
Thanks bkelm, that helps explain alot. Makes my decision easier too.

Calibers are quite confusing at times. The .357Magnum, .38Special, .380Auto, .357Sig (I think), and the 9mm Luger (9mm for short) all use the same size bullet. Only difference is the case size/length.

Calibers are quite confusing at times. The .357Magnum, .38Special, .380Auto, .357Sig (I think), and the 9mm Luger (9mm for short) all use the same size bullet. Only difference is the case size/length.

They all can use the same size bullets, but the .38special and .357magnum are designed for .357" diameter bullets, and the .380, 9mm, .357sig, .38super, etc are designed for .355" bullets (the .38super commonly uses .356" bullets, as well).

It's pretty much a wash, what's a few thousanths between friends? :D

I wouldn't be surprised if you could load a 158gr .357" projectile into a 9mm case... I've heard of it being done.

Since I just bought a new P3AT, I figure Keltec should lower the price by at least a $100 bucks or so any day now.:eek: I like Rugers but I don't think they are going to corner the market with their knock off.