CDL info

Note that actual manufacturer's GVWR is the criterion, NOT the plate that the owner put on it./QUOTE]

Can you help me find the TCA reference to that? Not trying to be argumentative, but my experience has been the exact opposite and I'd love to know the actual law. I see this very subject debated a lot on pickup truck boards, whether or not the manufacturer's GVWR has any legal meaning. In my experience, it has not. The officer's in TN, KY, and GA have all looked at the weight the truck was tagged for.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note that actual manufacturer's GVWR is the criterion, NOT the plate that the owner put on it./QUOTE]

Can you help me find the TCA reference to that? Not trying to be argumentative, but my experience has been the exact opposite and I'd love to know the actual law. I see this very subject debated a lot on pickup truck boards, whether or not the manufacturer's GVWR has any legal meaning. In my experience, it has not. The officer's in TN, KY, and GA have all looked at the weight the truck was tagged for.

Well, look at my link above, "do I need a CDL". It plainly states that manufacturers GVWR is the determining factor as far as the CDL requirement.

Not debating that LEOs look at the plates, but the DMV will sell you whatever plate you ask for, I know this for a fact from owning International step van for FedEx Ground. Which leads me to quick story:

Most of the guys in the Ground fleet put H2 or H3 tags on their step vans, because that's a good bit cheaper than H1 (I believe I remember the designations right, that H1 is over 16K or so, but no more than 26K, something like that). I've may have forgotten exact weights with tag designation, but point is, any given day depending on random loading, your step van would really need the H1 (heaviest) to be strictly kosher. Of course, doesn't usually matter cause we don't have to stop at scales, So one day guy (best I remember was doing Tazewell area) got into it with a county mountie over something, and the LEO makes a stink and does full investigation of his paper work and whatnot, one thing leads to another and he DOES get the thing weighed, and it exceeds the H2 or whatever he had it tagged for. Don't remember the outcome, maybe some fine, or he had to go to DMV and get correct weight plates or what.

The guys that ran the bigger bulk trucks (straight trucks) generally went ahead and bit the bullet and got the heavier tags, as there was a history of their being checked. You'd think FedEx itself would require this to be correct, but you'd be wrong, since they only sit down on things on their contractors that would bring THE COMPANY into liability, couldn't care less as long as it only bites the contractor.

Anyway, I think the point is, you don't have to tag the thing for what the manufacturer's GVWR says, but then again you can't legally run heavier than the tag you bought either. Although it's not like you'll be put under the jail for it or anything, and likely never even be brought to bear on it. Cause as you say, unless the LEO that stops you is a DOT guy who might really know the score, your rank and file LEOs don't.

But the CDL part of the equation (FedEx ground guys didn't need one either, 'cept for the semi drivers of course) seems pretty clear,that it's the manufacturer's GVWR that determines that if push should come to shove.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Well, look at my link above, "do I need a CDL". It plainly states that manufacturers GVWR is the determining factor as far as the CDL requirement.

Not debating that LEOs look at the plates, but the DMV will sell you whatever plate you ask for...

I saw the link, but I wonder if this might not be a similar situation to the ATF's FAQ sheet or whatever it is with regard to shipping firearms, where the quick- guide doesn't necessarily add up to the actual law.

As for the DMV, I know a lot of guys running 16,000 pound plates on farm trucks with GVWRs of around 12,500 lbs. :)

I saw the link, but I wonder if this might not be a similar situation to the ATF's FAQ sheet or whatever it is with regard to shipping firearms, where the quick- guide doesn't necessarily add up to the actual law. ...

Well, I knew (and found pretty quickly) that TN CDL requirements just mirror Federal ones. So I think that page on TNDOS is exactly accurate.

Commercial motor vehicle groups. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

- OS

Interesting. I appreciate the info!

No worries...I spent some real time with the Fed stuff when I got my CDL, 'cause I really anticipated being a total road gypsy for a few years, but wound up doing the FedEx thing instead, long story.

- OS