GA wants to take part of TN.

Guest TN.Frank

Guest TN.Frank

Fox News is reporting that GA is trying to move their Northen boundry line to the middle of the TN.River. They say that "back in the day" the lines weren't put where they were suppose to be(35th parallel or some such) and that if they were moved to the "correct" place it'd be in the middle of the TN.River.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest darkstar

It's pretty bad down in the Atlanta area with the drought. I lived there for about 2 years and have many friends in that area so I've been keeping up with what happens down there. The problem for them is that they have allowed unlimited development in the metro area for years and years. I'm all for making a buck and developing property but when you have unlimited growth you are going to have problems with natural resources. This is whats happening there today. I find it funny that the Georgia legislature is now accusing Tennessee of "hoarding" (thats what the state rep from GA. called it last night on the news) water. If those idiots had maybe considered that a limited amount of resources existed before going nuts with all the development, they may not have this issue. But the powers that be decided the hell with it, went ahead, allowed massive growth (and I'm sure profited from it) and now they want to change the state border. Hmmmmm....where was this concern for an allegedly miscalculated border before this current drought crisis? It's a land grab pure and simple. Again, I'm not against growth and expansion and making a buck but don't go crying and gnashing your teeth when your idiocy is to blame.

I can't believe no one here caught this before. I heard about it about 2-3 weeks ago.

Seems like a surveyor messed up back in 1818 and the GA state line is a mile further south than it should be. I believe there has been legislation in GA to try to get it changed.

Here's an excerpt from the AP story:

"Some influential Georgia politicians have suggested using old-fashioned horse trading to broker a water deal, saying Georgia should offer a high-speed rail line from Atlanta to Chattanooga in exchange for rights to the river. But Tennessee's governor said he was unaware of the Georgia legislation until he was told of it by The Associated Press earlier this week."

Bredesen found out about it earlier this month from another AP story. His response: "This is a joke, right?"

Here's a CNN posting of one of the AP stories from 2/8/08:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/08/drought.state.line.ap/

It should be interesting... Note in the article that not only would GA get part of the TN river, but Mississippi would get part of Memphis.

**BRENT**

Pretty funny reading really, well aside from a drought.

Do you also realize half of Memphis would also end up in Mississippi if the re-bordered the state on the 35th parallel?

I think Georgia will not let up on this and will sue over it. I doubt they really want the real estate but rather their goal being to have access to the Tn. river and water.

I bet if TN offered them a pipeline they would stop trying to landgrab and would take the offer. I dare say that is their goal.

What is in it for Tennesseans?

Mississippi doesn't want any part of Memphis that they would get, the part of Memphis that borders Miss. well isn't the best to say the least!

If you go a 1 1/2 up from the stateline of MS it will take you to Shelby Drive in Memphis, the Road that borders the southern edge of the airport. Not the best area of Memphis by any stretch of the imagination, I would guess MS would pass on getting that area!

Edited by db99wj
Guest TNDixieGirl
If you go a 1 1/2 up from the stateline of MS it will take you to Shelby Drive in Memphis, the Road that borders the southern edge of the airport. Not the best area of Memphis by any stretch of the imagination,

Which is EXACTLY why I started carrying when I began working over here. Arrive here in the dark every morning and it's downright spooky.

Guest TargetShooter84
I heard a guy from TN on Boortz a few weeks ago telling Neal that we'd mobilize the Vol navy to stop any GA invasion. :)

I totally agree! Lets recruit the boaters and enlist them to the Vol Navy and we'll use our spear guns and invade those land grubbers that are going to invade our rivers and we'll be waitin' on them and when we see them...Ka-Ching!