.22 conversions for 1911

graycrait

Over the years I've had 4 or 5 AA conversions for Glocks, someone always got them away from me and it got easier to let them go as I never did really like the fact that a Glock with the AA weighs about 12oz. I've been reading about the available (the new Bob Marvel AA II is not available as far as I know and the wait for one even if available would likely be long I think) conversions and I don't need a Marvel Precision Unit 1.

It looks like a choice between Tactical Solutions 2211 or the Marvel Precision Unit 2. Does anyone have experience with either? Maybe both as a comparison?

I'm leaning towards a Tactical Solutions 2211 for my 1911 frame.

Lastly, does anyone have a Tactical Solutions .22 conversion for the Glock 17/22? How do you like it?

Craig in Clarksville

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

Hi Craig

What is wrong with the Advantage Arms "target" version of their 1911 conversion kit? Do you just think it would be too light?

The AA barrel and sights lock to the frame and only the light-weight slide moves to eject/load.

I got one around Christmas and it seems to work OK as best I can tell.

Trying to order direct from AA, the website said backordered 6 weeks or something, but I found this big place in TX that had em in stock a little less than retail. Got it 2 or 3 days after placing the order, UPS ground IIRC.

Not trying to talk you into it, just sayin you can probably get one pretty quick if you want one. Lemme know and I'll look up the name of that merchant.

1911_22.jpg

Lester Weevils,

I have read a lot about the AA 1911 conversion. The weight of the 1911 conversion doesn't bother me as much as on the Glock as the 1911 frame I have is steel so the weight should be in the 25 oz range with the AA I suppose. The AA Target looks like the sights stay fixed and the slide moves much like a S&W Mdl 41 and some other target grade .22 pistols.

Send me the link to the big outfit in TX, I may just get one and be done with it. My experience with AA conversions operational qualities is pretty positive.

Craig in Clarksville

Guest Big-A

I had the marvel conversion the cheapest model. Hands down the most accurate 22 pistol i ever shot. Let a friend talk me into trading it for a mossberg 835 with ammo. Marvels are really good shooters and mine wasnt that light.

Guest Lester Weevils
Lester Weevils,

I have read a lot about the AA 1911 conversion. The weight of the 1911 conversion doesn't bother me as much as on the Glock as the 1911 frame I have is steel so the weight should be in the 25 oz range with the AA I suppose. The AA Target looks like the sights stay fixed and the slide moves much like a S&W Mdl 41 and some other target grade .22 pistols.

Send me the link to the big outfit in TX, I may just get one and be done with it. My experience with AA conversions operational qualities is pretty positive.

Craig in Clarksville

Hi Craig

I'm rather distrustful or even paranoid about online ordering from outfits I've never heard about, but I googled this company and couldn't find anybody griping about em, and they fulfilled my order fine.

https://www.cmcgov.com/store/pc/Advantage-Arms-1911-22LR-Target-Conversion-Kit-IN-STOCK-214p603.htm

Dunno if they are really a company that really specializes in selling to govt depts, or a fly-by-night wannabe, but they shipped the product and didn't rip me off anyway.

I have Kimber and it is the most accurate 22 pistol I have shot. I did have to fit the conversion to the frame of my 1911 because it was too tight to cycle on my Metro Arms. There was a little clearancing on the frame to get it to work but that kept the clearances to a minimum which evidentally helped accuracy.

It is accurate enough I can easily tell the difference between quality ammo and cheap ammo. With quality ammo I would be willing to bet the conversion will shoot around 2" at 25 yards, plenty accurate to practice.

Dolomite

General discussion and comments on several 1911 .22 conversions

Best upper-end .22 conversions for 1911's - 1911Forum

Marvel Unit 1 vs Marvel Unit 2

The M-1911 Pistols Organization E-zine

A 1911 forum discussion over about 5 years on .22 conversions.

The M-1911 Pistols Organization E-zine

Lots of threads on .22 conversions for 1911s

The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - Conversion Kits

One of the posters on this thread has 7 .22 conversions, 5 for 1911s and 2 for CZs. He does not have a Tactical Solutions or an AA. He has 3 dozen 1911s and 8 CZs.

Which 1911 and .22lr conversion kits - 1911Forum

Jeff Quinn did a Ransom Rest test with the TacSol TSG 2211 at 25 yrds Tactical Solutions 2211 .22 Long Rifle Conversion for the 1911 Semi-Auto Pistol

Guest Lester Weevils

I got curious about conversions and have acquired a Beretta 92 factory conversion, a CZ factory conversion for CZ-85 combat, and the AA 1911 conversion.

They all give about the same accuracy in my hand as a Ruger Mark II slabside target. But that is not especially accurate. I used to be able to shoot the Mark II pretty accurately, but for some reason, probably old age, the .22 accuracy isn't what it used to be. Not that it was ever especially good, but in the past it was better than today.

However, they are still fun to shoot. A few years ago the Mark II had noticeably smaller groups than centerfire pistol, but nowadays the .22's have about the same accuracy as centerfire. Not that the centerfire accuracy has improved any.

I got curious about conversions and have acquired a Beretta 92 factory conversion, a CZ factory conversion for CZ-85 combat, and the AA 1911 conversion.

They all give about the same accuracy in my hand as a Ruger Mark II slabside target. But that is not especially accurate. I used to be able to shoot the Mark II pretty accurately, but for some reason, probably old age, the .22 accuracy isn't what it used to be. Not that it was ever especially good, but in the past it was better than today.

However, they are still fun to shoot. A few years ago the Mark II had noticeably smaller groups than centerfire pistol, but nowadays the .22's have about the same accuracy as centerfire. Not that the centerfire accuracy has improved any.

Ammo quality is your problem, not you or your age.

I have noticed a slow, but steady, decline in the quality of rimfire ammunition. It seems the hardest hit is the bulk ammo. Federal was the standard even up to a few years ago but now is miserably innaccurate. Bulk Remington hasn't ever been really accurate from what I remember. Winchester that once sucked now seems to be the top dog in bulk ammo but not by much.

I would try some CCI offerings to see if that improves your accuracy. If not then try some Federal Automatch, it has declined since it was introduced but it is still better than most.

Dolomite

Guest tbone

The Advantage Arms unit is my recommendation to you. I have one mounted on a Springfield frame and it runs like a top. It is the only unit I know of that locks the slide back on the empty mag. I like that feature because it lets me train realistically. It gobbles Remington Golden Bullet, which can be found easily at Wall-Mall. It is a great unit and I am thrilled with mine.

Guest Lester Weevils
Ammo quality is your problem, not you or your age.

I have noticed a slow, but steady, decline in the quality of rimfire ammunition. It seems the hardest hit is the bulk ammo. Federal was the standard even up to a few years ago but now is miserably innaccurate. Bulk Remington hasn't ever been really accurate from what I remember. Winchester that once sucked now seems to be the top dog in bulk ammo but not by much.

I would try some CCI offerings to see if that improves your accuracy. If not then try some Federal Automatch, it has declined since it was introduced but it is still better than most.

Thanks Dolomite

Nothing would thrill me more than blame bad shooting on the ammo. Maybe that is a factor. Dunno.

Been mostly using CCI mini-mag 36 gr hp. Have read that CCI mini-mag 40 gr solid point has better accuracy. I usually use 36 gr hollow point because walmart sells it not expensive.

Wonder if even mini-mags occasionally have QC problems? Mini-mags usually don't jam much. However, one visit to the range this year, all the .22 pistols decided to be jam-o-matics on the same day and the only variable seemed to be whatever batch of mini-mags I was shooting. Obviously on other non-jam-o-matic range trips, I was shooting different boxes of mini-mags.

Also, wonder if CCI sells different quality ammo to walmart? That would be nutty if true. One would expect that mini-mag from any store would be equivalent, but maybe not?

Never tried expensive target ammo. Long ago the Mark II slabside seemed most accurate with Rem subsonic 40 gr lead or Win T22 40 gr lead. Or in general, standard-velocity 40 grain solid bullets.

Haven't shot Rem subsonic lately, but this year tried a new brick of Win T22 that doesn't seem to work "exceptional" as I recall from years ago.

Last year chrony'd some cci mini-mag 36 gr hp, federal bulk pack 36 gr hp, and Win T22 40 gr on the Mark II. The mini-mag had highest avg velocity, but the federal had the lowest standard deviation. Maybe ought to take all the .22 pistols and lots of ammo brands, chrony many combinations and see if there is any useful info to be gained.

====

Whatever the cause-- A few years ago it was not over-ambitious to shoot .22 at 12 yards using 8.5 X 11 inch sheets with 4 targets per sheet. The groups were not fabulous, but you could see 4 distinct groups on a single sheet of paper.

Nowadays at 12 yards, I can hit virtually all shots somewhere on a 8.5 X 11 inch sheet of paper with either the .22s or centerfire, but the variability is so big that I have to shoot maybe 40 rounds of .22 before a definite group is visible. A definite group develops quicker with 9mm or .357 mag, but that may just be because the bullet holes are bigger.

Here are 12 yard targets shot the same day a couple of months ago with three different .22 conversions. All three targets mounted side-by-side. Fire 10 rounds from gun A, then fire 10 rounds from gun B, etc.

Each target got the same number of rounds from each gun. If a target looks like it has fewer holes, probably because more bullets went thru the tear-out regions.

MAYBE the Beretta 92 .22 adapter is slightly more accurate because it is the lightest gun and is easiest to aim without wobbles. Or maybe it fits the hand better. Dunno. The 92 adapter is the least "locked down" barrel of the three and has enough "wiggle" that I would have expected the 92 adapter to have the worst accuracy of the bunch.

I need to get an expert to shoot these pistols and find out what they can actually do.

Beretta 92 Factory .22 Conversion

Beretta92_22_Target.jpg

AA .22 Target adapter on MetroArms American Classic II frame

1911_22_Target.jpg

CZ Kadet Adapter fit to a CZ-85 Combat

CZ85_22_Target.jpg