Guest CrazyLincoln
I have a customized, blackened-stainless S&W X-frame 500 Magnum with a 4" barrel, threaded for a custom sound-suppressor.

LOL. And let me guess, if he did manage a seal, the barrel would have to 4" so the 10ft supressor was manageable. And surprise! they make a holster for it! I think the company is Morawn. If you dual carry, they have the added benefit of functioning as stilts, so you can get a job hanging drywall in those less desirable parts of town.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phantom6

The abusive poster from packing.org mentioned above sounds like he could be closely related to Lt. Gecko, the Mall Ninja. Twin son from a different mother perhaps? :up:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SMSTRICK

Everyone has a opinion I guess, so this one is mine. A CCW Badge is the most ridiculous thing that I have ever seen. When I first saw it advertised , I thought that it was a joke. If anyone has even a ounce, or shred of human dignity, the CCW badge would never even become an option......I saw someone with one recently at Advance Auto , and he drew so much attention to himself that it was like a freak show. It was really pathetic........Sorry if I have offended anyone,......but I really think that the CCW badge is rediculous . When I see it,...the first thing that comes to my mind is that there is a grown up either trying to empress someone else (or himself,) or is trying to make himself feel important by trying to send the impression that he is a cop. The CCW badge displayed sends and projects a illusion of authority, which is unneccessary as a law abiding citizen with a permit.

If I were to be offered MONEY to go out in public for one day wearing the badge, I would not do it because I would humiliate myself and make myself look like a total idiot.

• 1 year later...
Guest Whiskers

A few years ago I remember someone saying that they carried a pair of cuffs on their belt... (I don't think he was a LEO) to keep from causing panic if someone saw his gun. Hmmmm.... that could be considered as impersonating an officer.... could it not?

Guest Wiggy

The best argument I've heard for wearing a badge is to calm down the sheep while open carrying.

It doesn't give away your carry status, because you're already open carrying... Of course, the sheep don't need to be calmed if you're CCing, and the calming effect is only there because you're basically impersonating an officer.

The way I look at it, if someone was that worried about spooking the sheep, they could just use some super tactical high speed adhesive material (duct tape) and tape their HCP to their belt. :) That way EVERYONE would know that you did indeed have a permit and that you didn't just buy some tin badge off the web.

I think the badges are pretty spiffy if you like to collect 2A stuff. I would never recomend them for wearing in public, and even though I support open carry, I wouldn't recomend that if you aren't thick skinned enough to handle the attention it may bring without hiding behind a fake badge.

Edited by Wiggy
Guest Tn.Mitch
are these legal to have?? they really do look like a cop would be pissed if he saw you carrying one

Your right about cops being pissed about it,as it is now ,its all they can stand to see one of us Ocing much less wearing a HCP badge,They would blow a fuse for sure,in there minds,they belong to a group,a small group of guys who are LEO;s and thats true.they have the power,They trained,went to a academy to be one....then along comes Joe Q. Public wearing a 1911 straped to his hip,and the LEO cant stand it,he thinks hes the only one with the right to carry a gun,especially OC,well he better just get use to the idea,because there more of us daily,and growing,by the hundreds everyday,end we aint going away.I open carry when everr.and where ever I want to as long as its not a no gun zone or a posted area.If the Hendersonville PD wants to stop me everytime they see me to check my permit,thats fine,but if theres any harrraeement on there part,I will be at city hall or the PD the very next day with names and badge #s theyt have had there 1 chance with me.and it over now,no more mister nice guy,.I have rights and I know them.If they dont want to see any guns,they need to change thje state to CCW or just get a grip and grow up.Im not a LEO dont want to be never have,I dont act like one,or carry a badge,but I didd jump through all the hoops that the state of Tenneesse put in front of me to get my permit,I have it,Im one of the good guys,I have the right to carry any way I please in this state and I will do so,uintil the time that the state law says different,not some red neck cop.They need to be out chasing the bad guys and stay outt of the donut shops.Bwtween them and the sheep,they make you feel,like your breaking the law or something...Jeezzzz.

,in there minds,they belong to a group,a small group of guys who are LEO;s and thats true.they have the power,They trained,went to a academy to be one....then along comes Joe Q. Public wearing a 1911 straped to his hip,and the LEO cant stand it,he thinks hes the only one with the right to carry a gun,especially OC,well he better just get use to the idea,

I think that's a little narrow sighted. No offense, but it's more cop bashing BS. Yea some of you guys that live in small towns might have some hick bubba cops that get bent out of shape, but I deal with cops everyday from different agencies and most of them could give a **** if you have it duct-taped to your forehead so long as you're not pointing it at them or someone else.

I think that's a little narrow sighted. No offense, but it's more cop bashing BS. Yea some of you guys that live in small towns might have some hick bubba cops that get bent out of shape, but I deal with cops everyday from different agencies and most of them could give a **** if you have it duct-taped to your forehead so long as you're not pointing it at them or someone else.

Not to hijack this thread.....but I think you make a good point.

I have thought about starting a thread on this, but see it going to heck in a handbasket.....and hope it doesn't happen in this thread.

But I think there is (or at least can be) a BIG difference between LEOs in larger areas and those from more rual areas.

In larger areas, may go through the academy before they ever hit the street. They deal with the public more and therefore even acting like a butt .1% of the time could amount to several complaints. Complaints to supervisors that are more worried about the department as a whole and have to answer to ones above them. Some of which at least feel responsiable to the citizens.

In smaller areas some LEOs may actually walk in off the streets and work for months before going to the academy. Their only knowledge of the law is what they think it is. The deal with few people...and it is usually the same ones over and over (yes large depts have the "regulars" as well) and those folks have little credit when it comes to complaints. When they do deal with someone knew they may just seem them as future "regular". There really isn't very many layers of supervisors. With a small population there is usually a small amount of complaints. Also...not like there are a bunch of good canidates beating down the door to replace one that might be let go.

Now...I am not trying to make a blanket statement about LEOs or even a blanket one about those from large or small departments. But I do think there is a difference. I have rode along with LEOs from small departments larger ones and with the THP....all I can say is I did see a difference between all 3 in my experience.

Guest db99wj

Good post and I agree. This topic has been touched but never really discussed at length on here. I mentioned in one of the LEO threads that i have had experience with small town (15K population at the time and 5K population) to THP, to large metro areas (Memphis). I could see where small town LEO's reacting/acting differently to the same situation due to experience. I still think, for the most part, and the percentage is probably around 99% of all LEO's are good, follow the laws and are fair. The 1%, like in all professions, can really give the rest a bad name, especially when they are high profile and in the "public eye".

Edited by db99wj
Guest db99wj
I would also agree with the 99% are good rule.

Trouble is with a smaller dept in a smaller population you are liable to run into that 1% more often....:)

Great point, you got 4 guys at the department....

What I think you run into is if you're in a small town where everybody knows the Sheriff and Deputy Bob they probably aren't gonna mess with you.

You live in a small to medium town with a small department of 20 or less officers you are going to run into some "bubbas" and some "I AM THE LAW" types for certain.

When you live in a major city like Knoxville, Nashville, or Memphis most of the cops have more pressing matters to attend to than to jack with the guy OCing with a 150 dollar holster and a 1911. They know better because they know that's not how the gangs they deal with act and carry.

Fallguy, how would you like to do a thread review? I'll bet you lunch that most of the members here and passed on stories of OC issues with PD are from smaller towns.

Fallguy, how would you like to do a thread review? I'll bet you lunch that most of the members here and passed on stories of OC issues with PD are from smaller towns.

No thanks....two reasons. One you're probably right (although I do know of the famous case of Knoxville PD officer who came from Ohio and they guy at Wal-Mart) but Secondly...and the main reason...I'm not going back through a bunch of OC v CC threads....lol

I actually got a letter from some one (some police organization) this weekend asking for money and if I sent it in I would get a badge and a wallet to hold it in. I nearly died laughing at the counter in the kitchen. My wife asked what was so funny and I showed it to her. She laughed.

Guest crotalus01

Botttom line for OC (to me) is if you are in an area where it is fairly common the cops are going to leave you alone 99% of the time. I have never even been asked for my HCP in Memphis, much less hassled.

When I am driving to the dropzone and go through Oakland and Somerville I tend to CC.

OC vs CC is like islam vs Christianity - everyone thinks their way is the right way and theres no convincing otherwise.

I DO think almost all of us here think those badges are a bad idea for whatever reason...

Guest mustangdave

I've seen those silly badges for SALE at the local GUN SHOWS...Thought about getting one to add to my collection in the Curio Cabinet...to go with my US NAVY MAA and BASE SECURITY badges...woohoo

Guest mustangdave

I am seriously scared for you....a "cop" in Daisy Dukes...that just ain't right...well it could be IF the "cop" in question was the appropriate gender.