Learning to shoot all over.

Guest Bruce

I have a new sw9ve and haven't owned a handgun in a very long time and the holster I like is only for right handers and I'm left handed and was wondering if any of you have tought yourselves to shoot with both hands?

And also when I was younger I always shot with one eye closed and am going to learn and shoot with both eyes open and would like to hear from all of you on how you shoot.

Thanks, Bruce

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer

I practice both hands, one eye, and both eyes open...I constantly change it up...I shoot min 300 rds everytime I go...I also shoot my 9ve... I would suggest practice all around.

as far as the holster, which one is it? I am sure they make a left handed version...and there are enough dealers on the board to help locate what you need

congrats on the new gun!!

Guest jackdog

Three years ago I had a damaged left shoulder, so I was forced to go to my right side. Today both shoulders are well but I've continued to shoot right handed. I can actually draw and fire from concealment just as fast with either hand. I've always short with both eyes open and I think this made the change a lot easier.. Shoot is the only thing that i can do well with my right hand.

I am left handed but carry on the right side. The reason for this is being in the car it would be near impossible to draw left handed and get a aim at COM with the gun in my left hand. This of course a car jacking scenario. So because of this the gun now feels better on my right side and I doubt this will ever change, well except for at the range when shooting single action revolvers.

When I do practice drawing and firing the first shot or two is from the right hand in a point shooting manner, when the gun comes up into a two handed grip I switch to left handed shooting. It all feels very natural to me now. I am sure though some of you more able gunnies can point out how what I am doing is wrong.

For the most part I always practice shooting using both eyes. for me it was not hard to learn this skill.

I am left handed but carry on the right side. The reason for this is being in the car it would be near impossible to draw left handed and get a aim at COM with the gun in my left hand. This of course a car jacking scenario. So because of this the gun now feels better on my right side and I doubt this will ever change, well except for at the range when shooting single action revolvers.

When I do practice drawing and firing the first shot or two is from the right hand in a point shooting manner, when the gun comes up into a two handed grip I switch to left handed shooting. It all feels very natural to me now. I am sure though some of you more able gunnies can point out how what I am doing is wrong.

For the most part I always practice shooting using both eyes. for me it was not hard to learn this skill.

actually, a guy named Bruce Fairbairn advocated doing JUST that..shooting with both eyes open at a clear and immediate target. If you're not familiar with him I can elaborate...he was in charge of the police force for Shanghi China for a few years and responsible for training his officers. in the time he worked there they had over 170 incidents where the officers were required to use their sidearms. I'd say he knew a fair bit about defensive shooting tactics!

as for folks telling you how you're doing it wrong... heh. find a system that works for you. if you can find something wrong with it..change that..but stick with what you find to be comfortable and workable!

pistol tactics are kind of like a shirt...my tactics may not fit you..yours might not fit me.

before you listen to someone about that..ask yourself this. "has this person ever had to defend himself with his pistol".. real world knowledge and experience counts quite a bit here.

as usual, this is just my 2 cents and you can take it for what you paid for it :tinfoil: