Crawdads...

Guest raflomo

Guest raflomo

How many of ya'll catch them?I been looking into it and only done it once when I was a kid.I don't remember what it was like 25 years ago.I am wanting to let my boy try it out.I was just wondering how you keep them.I know I read somewhere to plan on catching 30 per person if you plan to eat them.That seems like an awful lot to get at one time.I would appreciate some tips if you have any...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are planning on eating them, call Steamboat Bill's in Hendersonville, he will order some for you. :P

I used to catch them in creeks when I was a kid, my daughter has caught a few in the creek by our house. The ones around here aren't big enough or prolific enough to try and make a meal of. You can catch them and keep them in a bucket or cooler of water. Catch a few big males and you can fight them against each other. They eat minnows and worms.

Guest Bluemax

I'm not sure where Chester County is but if it's anywhere near E TN your gonna starve to death trying to make a meal off of crawfish caught in TN. There are places to buy crawfish while in season ends in June I think. There is a place in Knoxville called the Shrimp Dpck which sells them live while in season and will also furnish a cooker. Let me know if yiou need a good recipe

I second Steamboat Bill's. We ordered some from him for a tailgate and was planning on boiling them on our own, but he gave us a deal too good to pass up on some cooked ones. They were just right, and the price was excellent.

Well, I guess you can disregard the above. I just googled to see where you are, but if you happen to be in the area, try Steamboat Bill's.

Guest Bluemax
If I fish with them, I use them alive, Carolina rigged. Be ready, because when a "smallie" hits....they hit with an attitude!

Boil a few of them bugs with some Serious cajun spice and I will out hit any smallie.....I GARANTEE HEET... OOH WEE !!!!

Every year, 40 pounds of mudbugs, ice cold beer, corn, sausage, red taters and whole mushrooms and about 20 couples trying to consume more than is humanly possible. Just thinking about this makes me ready for summer time.

Guest BungieCord

I catch them in minnow traps:

geesminnowtrapthimb.jpg

Baited with bread, they tend to attract minnows. Baited with meat, they tend to attract mudbugs. A hotdog works well. Just toss it in a rocky section of a creek that's deep enough to submerge it. And don't forget to purge them first if you plan on eating them.

Guest HvyMtl

"You get a line, and I'll get a pole, honey...

You get a line, and I'll get a pole, babe...

YOu get a line, and I'll get a pole,

And we'll go fishing at the crawdad hole

Oh honey, baby, mine!"

At least I think that is the way the song goes...

Say, aren't some of the local crawdads on the endangered list?

Go with the professional places to buy.

Guest BungieCord
...Say, aren't some of the local crawdads on the endangered list? ...

If they ain't, as soon as I find 'em, out, they will be.

Guest raflomo

you boys talking bout all the taters and sausages and such is making me hungry for 'em.The only ones I ever had were the the lousy chinese buffets where they taste like muddy water.I did however find some at one that were good.Thats why I am considering buying some to cook.

......................I need some recipes now.....

Everytime we go to a creek that's about 2 miles from the house I catch some by hand. I have fished with them a few times with good luck but ususally just release them.

My cousin and I got into a pretty good fight when we were kids because he killed some that I had caught at a local spring.

;)

Guest dthurston

Reccipes are simple. For spicy.

I use Old Bay crab and seafood seasoning. ( They make a liquid boil that I prefer in the water)

Lemons cut in quarters...

Bring this seasoned water to a boil.. Next I start with the Vegatables... Timing is important.

corn on the cob, and small red boiling potatoes go in first. Let them get going as they take the longest to cook.

Follow up with onions if you want them.

Next I follow up with whole mushrooms and sausage.

Once the Veggies are done remove and sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning.

Add additional seasoning and lemon to the boiling water.

Add live crawfish and boil for ten to fifteen minutes... Add additional spices as needed for taste.

Now pinch tail and suck head.

Oh figure 10 lbs per person... more if any are Cajuns..

Dave

I use old bay's and Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning in the water and a few lemons cut in half and squeezed in the water. You can add a little cider vinegar and beer.

Google "Low Country Boil" and follow the recipe that looks best for what you like.