New to me Taurus 709 Slim

Guest Oaklands

Guest Oaklands

I picked up a used Taurus I bought from a guy off the XD Forum today. I was hoping it would make a good pocket carry gun for me. Off to the range to pick it and of course I took some ammo with me.

The gun is very impressive. I have not been a big Taurus fan but this is one nice gun. It has adjustable sights on it which I did need to set. It was firing a little low and to the left for me. After fine tuning it the target was mine. The recoil is much lighter than I expected from a lightweight gun. I ran Federal, American Eagle, S&B and Federal Hydra shoks through it.

The only problem I had was at about round 120 or so I started to get some FTE and FTF issues. This was on the S&B ammo which has a harder primer than most other ammo. The gun was a little dirty when I got it and after 120 rounds of this cheaper ammo it was very dirty.

All together I really enjoyed firing the gun and am happy with my purchase. I bought a $12.88 blackhawk pocket holster for it and it hides quite nicely in my cargo shorts.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a used Taurus I bought from a guy off the XD Forum today. I was hoping it would make a good pocket carry gun for me. Off to the range to pick it and of course I took some ammo with me.

The gun is very impressive. I have not been a big Taurus fan but this is one nice gun. It has adjustable sights on it which I did need to set. It was firing a little low and to the left for me. After fine tuning it the target was mine. The recoil is much lighter than I expected from a lightweight gun. I ran Federal, American Eagle, S&B and Federal Hydra shoks through it.

The only problem I had was at about round 120 or so I started to get some FTE and FTF issues. This was on the S&B ammo which has a harder primer than most other ammo. The gun was a little dirty when I got it and after 120 rounds of this cheaper ammo it was very dirty.

All together I really enjoyed firing the gun and am happy with my purchase. I bought a $12.88 blackhawk pocket holster for it and it hides quite nicely in my cargo shorts.

Low & left is normal for the 709, according to reports I have read. Been wanting one

myself, and as soon as finances permit, I intend to make that happen. Been fondling

this little gun at gun shows, wife likes it as well.

Enjoy your new toy, LOL.

I've been a Taurus fan for a long time and have had and still have several of them. I've been wanting a 709, but just seem to always get something else. I'm glad it works well for you. Makes my desire a little more likely.

As to the FTE/FTF issues...I would attribute them to the ammo. S&B seems to be just not as clean burning powder as others. I really like it, but every pistol I use it in seems to get inordinately dirty very quickly. Then come the problems. Even my G19 gets a little gummy with it.

So enjoy the 709 and use a different brand in it.

Guest Oaklands

I have some other ammo I will save for it. Unfortunately, I just bought 900 rounds of S&B on a special someone was running. It has always ran well in my other guns. I'll just keep some Federal and WWB around for the Slim.

Looks like we're in the same situation. I bought a 1000 rounds last year. And it is good ammo. Just runs a little dirty. My G30 runs good with it, just gets dirty pretty quickly. And the CZ Rami just loves it. So far, it's the most accurate load in it.

Guest Oaklands

I've had excellent luck with S&B in the past. Like you said, it is dirty but accurate. I shot some through X Conversion kit I bought for my Sig P229 and had no problems at all.

Guest whtsmoke

Yes the 709 does shoot low and left for most people, you have a few choices, file the front sight down, take it off and install a hi-viz universal long bead sight, or they do have replacement fronts that are lower at taurus, you will need to talk to Susuan as she knows whats up. I filed my front down and am going to the range tomorrow to see if it is on and i also have the hi-viz sight also that I can put on, will post the results here.

Guest whtsmoke

Went to the range this morning to see what the 709 would do after filing the front sight down, it nows shoots dead on center mass but a little bit right but not much i think that might be me pulling it a bit. From the slide to the top of the front sight is .115 inches. I might try the other fiber optics sight to see what the difference would be.

Guest whtsmoke

filed off .060 inches, doesnt sound like much but it is, the rear sight is adjusted to max elevation also. I could take it down more and lower the rear elevation but for now its going to stay like it is. I was shooting 115 grain fmj's and want to try 124 grain fmj as this is wha they rec. in the manual. Ah yes more testing equals more shooting couldnt be any better.

Guest cobaltac184

I have one for sale....not looking on making a killing...my girlfriend loves it, but I am moving on. If you want it, message me back, I can work with you. oh and by the way...TROPIC LIGHTNING LEADS THE WAY!