Bought a 10-22 a few weeks ago.

K191145

At Walmart for $182 minus the tax and paperwork fee. I hadn't had a decent .22 rifle in a while and I always wanted a 10-22. I also picked up a 28 round mag and two boxes of Federal ammo for $9 per 500. I had a couple of malfunctions in both the factory and 28rnd mag but that was rapid fire and I thought the cheap ammo might have something to do with it but I'm satisfied and really like it. I bought the carbine. It's very accurate after a slight sight adjustment but I would like to buy a nice small scope.

Any recommendations on a scope?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EasilyObsessed

To fix the extraction problems I would suggest the following:

1. Polish the bolt.

2. Get a recoil buffer, it will also quiet the gun down. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=554518&t=11082005 I think there is a cheaper one out there, IIRC I paid around 4 or 5 for mine...but Im too lazy to browse rimfirecentral.com right now :)

3. Throw in a VQ Extractor. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=363360&t=11082005

Out of stock there but you should be able to find it at a variety of places.

4. Consider ditching the aftermarket magazines or step up to the Tactical Innovations magazines.

For a scope...I have a Mueller APV on my 10/22 and it is fantastic scope for the money. Mizzo Mule Guns (http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/) is great to deal with. The APV may be a little overkill for what you are wanting...it is a 4.5x - 14x scope. If you want something cheaper, I have a Tasco Varmint 2.5x - 10x that has been decent for the money (Around $60 new IIRC).

What kind of scope specifically are you wanting? Price range? Adjustable? Max magnification? Min magnification? Red dot/holographic? Illuminated reticle?

Guest EasilyObsessed

Some more things to add just because I enjoy 10/22's :)

Spend a few hours on rimfirecentral.com if you havent already.

Removing that barrel band, or using a dremel to modify it so it does not physically touch the barrel, will get you a noticeable improvement in accuracy. You can send off your barrel to have it recrowned and the chamber modified to get another significant gain in accuracy, or pick up a .920 bull barrel and stock. Green Mountain barrels are great quality at an ever better price (as low as $80 for a barrel last time I checked) and you can add a Hogue stock for about $60. The aforementioned mods with a upgraded trigger, should net you 1/2" groups or less at 25 yrds assuming you take you time putting it together.

Make sure you are using High Velocity ammo. Try out CCI blazers and see if you get any jams with those, or I have good luck with the bulk Federal "Match" ammo. Some really good stuff is the Wolf (yes, Wolf, their 22 is some of the best) or Eley ammo but it can be pricey.

Edited by EasilyObsessed
Guest atomemphis

The general consensus at RimfireCentral (all things 10/22 and rimfire) is the Mueller APV. For rimfire rifles, its as much as you need, and well priced.

Mine was 115 with 3" sunshade including shipping. Performs flawlessly and looks good. So my rec. is Mueller APV.

I went off the advice of reading a couple of hundred related threads at that forum before making a decision. I wanted to "do it once, do it right".

That being said, I'm in no competitions, nor relying on this to put squirrels on the table for dinner.

Guest atomemphis

4. Consider ditching the aftermarket magazines or step up to the Tactical Innovations magazines.

I 100% agree with TI Mags. I have the standard 25rnd mag, and will get the aluminum one for fun later this year. They are fantastic, easy to work with, and don't look cheap. (I don't like the clear ones).

I've upgraded lots on mine: Extractor, Autobolt Release, Bolt Handle, Mag Release, Stock, Takedown Screw, Bolt Buffer, Scope, etc.

I've got a new fancy-schmancy barrel coming by the end of the month.

Its great because you can do everything yourself, and its all pretty cheap. Next on my list is improving the trigger - removing some creep, and lightening the pull considerably.

I highly encourage reading the commentary over at Rimfire Central before you buy any aftermarket doodads - they'll help you avoid buying something you think looks cool from internet pictures that turns out to be cheap crappy plastic.

To fix the extraction problems I would suggest the following:

1. Polish the bolt.

2. Get a recoil buffer, it will also quiet the gun down. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=554518&t=11082005 I think there is a cheaper one out there, IIRC I paid around 4 or 5 for mine...but Im too lazy to browse rimfirecentral.com right now :)

3. Throw in a VQ Extractor. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=363360&t=11082005

Out of stock there but you should be able to find it at a variety of places.

For a scope...I have a Mueller APV on my 10/22 and it is fantastic scope for the money. Mizzo Mule Guns (http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/) is great to deal with. The APV may be a little overkill for what you are wanting...it is a 4.5x - 14x scope. If you want something cheaper, I have a Tasco Varmint 2.5x - 10x that has been decent for the money (Around $60 new IIRC).

What kind of scope specifically are you wanting? Price range? Adjustable? Max magnification? Min magnification? Red dot/holographic? Illuminated reticle?

Thanks for the info, I'll check into those sites. As far as a scope nothing real fancy, just a basic Tasco, or maybe I would pay around $100 for one. Maybe later I'll really put the works to it. I will polish the bolt though and check into the parts you suggested. Is it just me or is re-assemby of the bolt a pain in the butt? Probably just need to do it some more.

Guest EasilyObsessed
Thanks for the info, I'll check into those sites. As far as a scope nothing real fancy, just a basic Tasco, or maybe I would pay around $100 for one. Maybe later I'll really put the works to it. I will polish the bolt though and check into the parts you suggested. Is it just me or is re-assemby of the bolt a pain in the butt? Probably just need to do it some more.

If you are willing to go to $100...spent the extra $15 or so and get the APV. Ill post pics of my rifle in just a few. The optic is amazingly clear for the money and their customer service is exceptional. I got email responses from the owner of the company within 15 minutes and they stand behind their scopes.

I would especially recommend the APV is you plan on upgrading the rifle down the road.

Reassembling the bolt is easier once you get used to it. Use the tip of your finger to push back the bolt handle with your finger as possible to the spring. Dropping the bolt over the handle should be simple after that.

Edit: P.S. If you ever need help with anything (such as reassembling the trigger assembly the first time) feel free to drop me a PM and I can help you through it. It is a minor PITA the first time.

Edited by EasilyObsessed
Some more things to add just because I enjoy 10/22's :)

Spend a few hours on rimfirecentral.com if you havent already.

Removing that barrel band, or using a dremel to modify it so it does not physically touch the barrel, will get you a noticeable improvement in accuracy. You can send off your barrel to have it recrowned and the chamber modified to get another significant gain in accuracy, or pick up a .920 bull barrel and stock. Green Mountain barrels are great quality at an ever better price (as low as $80 for a barrel last time I checked) and you can add a Hogue stock for about $60. The aforementioned mods with a upgraded trigger, should net you 1/2" groups or less at 25 yrds assuming you take you time putting it together.

Make sure you are using High Velocity ammo. Try out CCI blazers and see if you get any jams with those, or I have good luck with the bulk Federal "Match" ammo. Some really good stuff is the Wolf (yes, Wolf, their 22 is some of the best) or Eley ammo but it can be pricey.

I'll do that with the barrel band and see how it does, and buy some better ammo. As for the aftermarket mag, I wasn't expecting much from it, just more shooting time between reloads. I checked out Tactical Innovations magazines and they do look superior. I also want another factory mag. I'm going to take it out shooting at a decent range, bench rest and all next week sometime.

I noticed there's alot of aftermarket modifications you can do with a 10-22. I definatly need to go to another gun show, it's been a while.

Guest EasilyObsessed

My first (but not last) 10/22:

Ruger1022.jpg

Green Mountain Barrel

Hogue Stock

VQ Trigger

VQ Hammer

VQ Extractor

Skeeter Bolt Handle

Skeeter Mag Release

Mueller APV w/ Burris Zee Rings

Harris Bipod

Auto Bolt Release Mod

Polished Bolt and Inner receiver

Tactical Innovations Magazine

My thoughts on this build...

I hate the Hogue stock...I should have saved another $40 bucks or so and picked up a decent wooden stock. At the time I was still in college and money was harder to come by. I also wish that I had gone with either a fluted barrel of the same length or a longer non-fluted barrel.

Got all the parts picked out for my next one, just need to find a receiver and bolt :)

Guest atomemphis

I went with the Bell & Carlson Anschutz style stock, and really like it. There is a pre-order for ER Shaw 20" Helical Fluted Barrels at GunKings right now - 149.95 shipped. Definitely a good barrel for a decent price.

Guest EasilyObsessed
Holy tactical .22 If you dont mind me asking whats a build like that add up to $$$?

That gun probably has around $600-$700 in it including the original rifle that was purchased new for around $200.

The next one will probably end up costing me a bit more but I have a goal of 1 MOA.:)

I second the ammo recommendations. Mine for some reason only shoots well with CCI minimags. Any other brand or type produces erratic groups, but the minimags shoot awesome. My Ruger 22 pistol is the same way except it likes Federal lead solids. 22's can be fickle when it comes to ammo. Good luck, you're going to love the 10/22!

Guest Engloid
Mine was 115 with 3" sunshade including shipping. Performs flawlessly and looks good. So my rec. is Mueller APV.

A 10/22 for $115 shipped? where?

I'm looking to get a 10/22 now. I may buy used if the price is right. I figure whatever I get I'll probably modify a bit, so condition isn't a big deal. I definitely want a scope for target shooting.

I second the ammo recommendations. Mine for some reason only shoots well with CCI minimags. Any other brand or type produces erratic groups, but the minimags shoot awesome. My Ruger 22 pistol is the same way except it likes Federal lead solids. 22's can be fickle when it comes to ammo. Good luck, you're going to love the 10/22!

I'm going to pick up some different ammo this week and see how it does. Thanks for the recommendations.

Guest atomemphis

try to get 3-5 different brands (if possible) and shoot groups of 5 or so per ammo, and you can measure consistency. the ones that group tightest should be the only ammo you buy from now on for that gun.

and contrary to popular belief, the ammo doesn't have to be expensive to group well. Some just fit your gun better than others.