Sights for a AR

I am going to buy a S&W M&P15, I was looking at the M&P15OR (optics ready). I wanted to mount a eotech 512 red dot on the gun, and I was going to mount a front and rear flip-up sights as a back-up, just in case the red dot goes out. I looked at some AR's with a fixed front sight through a eotech and I keep wanting to line up the dot with the front sight post, and I think I would be better off flip-up front sight and keep it down unless I need it as a back-up. I have not shot a AR with a eotech on it and do not know which will sight will work best. What sights do you use on your Ar's, fixed or flip-up? I am going to use this gun for plinking and the occasional match. Thanks, Charles

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles,

I have a Bushmaster flat top with fixed front sight. My Eotech is mounted on the upper and perfectly co-witnesses with the front sight. After shooting through it a few times, I never see the front sight. You become focused on the target and never see the front post. I use a folding rear sight behind the Eotech. Shoot one first and see which you like best before spending the extra money for the flip up front.

Good luck with it.

I looked at some AR's with a fixed front sight through a eotech and I keep wanting to line up the dot with the front sight post

Westwind,

That's really what you want to do if you have a fixed sight rifle. If the Eotech fails, you don't want to have to fool with ripping it off. The reticle won't be there anymore so just shoot normal. If you do use back up sights they should align just like the fixed ones anyway. Everything is in alignment that way. Of course you could spend the big bucks on the quick detach mounts but you still have to stop what your doing and "quickly" detach a dead or malfuntioning holo. Its all in what you want to spend. A flat top receiver with a standard A2 front sight post works really well and all you have to add is a rear sight behind your Eotech. I practice shooting my somewhat different version upper without the holo all the time. Its also nice to know if the holo fails, I just keep shooting.

Check it out, its the UTE (universal tactical entry) from Rock River.

IMG_0509.jpg

Thanks for all the replies and advice, but after looking through a couple of AR's with fixed and flip-up sights with Eotechs mounted on them, I decided to go with flip-up sights. I think I will be happier with them, if did not like the fixed sight I would be stuck with it but with the flip-up I have the option of leaving it up or down. If after shooting the gun and I think I would rather have a fixed front sight I can always buy one. I ordered a S&W M&P15OR today, hopefully it will be here tomorrow. Thanks, Charles

• 2 weeks later...

I have a fixed-top AR-15A2 Carbine with an EOTech on top... I've never had the EOTech go out on me, but just in case, I can still use the iron sights if I need to. I wish I had a removable top AR-15, but the fixed top actually works pretty well for me, as it is very easy to use the EOTech without any cheek relief. I love the EOTech sight and highly recommend it. :shake:

I have a fixed-top AR-15A2 Carbine with an EOTech on top... I've never had the EOTech go out on me, but just in case, I can still use the iron sights if I need to. I wish I had a removable top AR-15, but the fixed top actually works pretty well for me, as it is very easy to use the EOTech without any cheek relief. I love the EOTech sight and highly recommend it. :koolaid:

I got the M&P a couple of weeks ago and mounted a Eotech 512 on it lst week, so far I am happy with it but I have not shot it yet.

100_0639.jpg

100_0638.jpg

Guest flesheatingvirus

I love the Eotechs. I used a Troy flip up front sight on an AR that I used to have, but I haven't tried it on my M4gery yet.