need help finding good 9mm

so im new to the whole pistol thing i have had a Ruger p95 it was an ok gun wasn't a fan of the trigger pull..... so i am looking for a different one in the 400-500 range what would be the best gun for me to get? in terms of most reliable, and best built

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no shortage of good choices out there. My advice would be, if possible go to range where you can rent handguns an try out different models and see what fits your hand best. I personally like the Glock 19, S&W M&P, and the Ruger SR9c is also a good choice at a great price.

Guest bkelm18

I don't know about being better built, the P95 is a tank. However I recommend M&P, XD, Glock. All can be found under $500.

I feel bad about the ruger but last time you had a lower budget and it fit that requirement :eek:

Ok, so talk to us. You have been on here talking revolvers, and now you say the ruger trigger pull is not so good (I agree!). In that case, have you fired ANY single action semi automatic pistol? Most double acton, "safe" action, and DAO guns have a garbage trigger unless you spend some $$$ or time or both getting it fixed (either doing it yourself or paying a pro).

So, at this point I would like to steer you toward a 9mm 1911 clone, but I hesitate to do that without some feedback on your part. If you want a decent trigger, that is *close* to even an average revolver, this is the way to get there.

In which case I would highly recommend the FEG 9mm "hi-power" up for sale in the current TGO for sale area. I am pretty sure its a single action, you will need to make sure of that, but it may be a good choice for you since you have to buy from an individual anyway...

im just confused like i said im new to pistols i would prefer a double action i just dont know what gun fits what im looking for which is a good 9mm with a decent trigger pull will fit my baseball mit sized hand and is reliable

im leaning towards ruger sr9 seems like a good gun and has lots of great reviews

Pick one up at a store, feel of the trigger pull, see if you like it. If I remember this one, its a typical DA with a less than stellar (again, compared to a revolver or good SA auto) trigger and probably only marginally better than the one you just sold.

i like the sr9 but if its trigger pull is the same as the p95 im not really interested i know it can be fixed but it can get pricey i would just like one i could go buy and have a good gun without having to modify it or have work done to it

Guest rebeldrummer

Just my opinion....to each his own.

G17....CZ 85B.....XD full size.....SR9.......M&P (full size)

In that order...

But in order to stay within budget, some of those would have to be used obviously.

Guest rebeldrummer

Just my opinion....to each his own.

G17....CZ 85B.....XD full size.....SR9.......M&P (full size)

In that order...

But in order to stay within budget, some of those would have to be used obviously.

Guest rebeldrummer
sorry for the dumb question is the g17 trigger pull better than the sr9?

Newer dated SR9 triggers are good. They were not at first....I would say they are now similar to a Glock.

My SR9 was newer and it was nice. I couldn't tell much of a difference between the two.

sorry for the dumb question is the g17 trigger pull better than the sr9?

Not a dumb question at all I think it is better than the Ruger double action models since you have big mitts you will love the size check one out before you buy something else

I tell ya Outlaw. I have been looking at the CZ-75. Some of the folks on TGO have recommended it highly. BUT before my money could burn a whole in my pocket something else came up, now I'm saving change in the jar again.

im just confused like i said im new to pistols i would prefer a double action i just dont know what gun fits what im looking for which is a good 9mm with a decent trigger pull will fit my baseball mit sized hand and is reliable

Thats why I am asking. If you have not tried a single action semi-auto, you should before you toss away any more $$ at the problem. If that is what you want in a trigger, there are some inexpensive 9mm SA guns, mostly 1911 so they have goodly sized grips and frames and should be ok for larger hands.

If you *know* you want a double action, that is fine, so long as you understand that they have sloppy triggers (this means you can pull on the trigger, and it moves, but the gun does not go bang, so you pull it some more, and after a bit, it finally goes off. Worse, many models have a bit of travel that is spongy and does nothing internally, then after bit the sear engages and the weight/pull resistance/etc changes in the middle which throws off your aim and takes a lot of getting used to). Again, most DA guns are, give or take a bit of slop, on par with the ruger you had or have (did you sell it??). The one you had/whatever is worse than average but not by all that much! Try it, go to a shop, pick up any DA semi-auto, cock the hammer, then test the trigger pull. Then try the same with any single action semi. It will really help you make a decison!

yeah i have held the cz75 but i just cant seem to find one thats not halfway across the state i like them alot im either goin with a cz75 or g17 just have to go check the g17 out and see if i like it

Glock triggers are pretty bad. Light pull, but longer, by design the trigger IS the safety so they made you have to pull it a very long distance before you get a bang -- this is true of every "safe" action design that I have picked up -- recognize these by the safety lever in the middle of the trigger.

The CZ75 is a "typical" DA, a fine gun but the trigger isnt anything special.

Thats why I am asking. If you have not tried a single action semi-auto, you should before you toss away any more $$ at the problem. If that is what you want in a trigger, there are some inexpensive 9mm SA guns, mostly 1911 so they have goodly sized grips and frames and should be ok for larger hands.

If you *know* you want a double action, that is fine, so long as you understand that they have sloppy triggers (this means you can pull on the trigger, and it moves, but the gun does not go bang, so you pull it some more, and after a bit, it finally goes off. Worse, many models have a bit of travel that is spongy and does nothing internally, then after bit the sear engages and the weight/pull resistance/etc changes in the middle which throws off your aim and takes a lot of getting used to). Again, most DA guns are, give or take a bit of slop, on par with the ruger you had or have (did you sell it??). The one you had/whatever is worse than average but not by all that much! Try it, go to a shop, pick up any DA semi-auto, cock the hammer, then test the trigger pull. Then try the same with any single action semi. It will really help you make a decison!

thanks for your help yes i sold the p95.... im new to pistols so the problem with the trigger pull was that it was causing me to pull the gun therefor it caused me to shoot inaccurate and inconsistent