Remora no-clip holster review (with Kahr PM9)

I took a leap of faith and bought a Remora no-clip holster for my Kahr PM9. Mine has the RFT option, which means that there is a thin layer of something stiff in the core between the inner and outer fabric for the upper half of the holster. Basically, if you insert your firearm, from around the trigger up to the mouth of the holster, it's stiff. The lower portion remains plyable. Yes, I know that sounds dirty, no jokes please. The width of the mouth can still be pressed closed, but it's not plyable like a regular fabric/neoprene holster might be. The purpose is to allow easier re-holstering because the insert keeps the mouth from being pressed closed while the firearm is drawn.

Now for the review.

Pro

The build seems to be quality. Nice stitching. No frayed ends or edges. A nice even quality build. the clipless design allows a truly customized cant, and even depth to some degree. You can't make it ride high if you like yours that way. It has to be low, but you can set it to exactly how low you want it to be.

It's grippier than a grippy thing that is grippy. I can wear my Kahr PM9 all day and it doesn't seem to move at all during a normal around-town kind of day. In and out of the car, up and down stairs, just general movement. I have worn it while doing yard work, including planting in the garden for about 3 hours. In this case, it did tend to slide up, but only by about1/4". Or maybe my pants slipped by that much. Either way, it was in no danger of suddenly falling out of my pants (See above comment about jokes).

I can wear it w/o having to cinch my belt as tight as I do with my XD on a CompTac Minotaur, but this could be down to the weight differnce of the XD and PM9 more than the holster.

It's tuckable (see con below) and ambidextrous. I'm a righty and it allowed my to experiment with the holster at 5 o'clock in a lefty configuration. I didn't care for it, but to each his/her own.

Con

When dropping your pants (for any of a multitude of reasons), you have to remember to grip it between your thumb and your waistband or it will fall. It's not really a problem and I find I'm already instinctively doing this.

It is tuckable, but because it's so grippy, you have to give your shirt a good tug to get it to untuck and expose the firearm if it's time for business. When doing so, I can feel the Remora slip up a little. Again, not so much that it will come completely out, but enough that I notice. The CompTac's kydex allows the shirt to slide off much more easily than the Remora's grippy skin. I haven't tried it with an undershirt where the Remora would be between that and the outer shirt. Not sure which one it would grip to more. It will certainly grip to skin much more than to clothing.

In the end, I'm happy with the product. It does the job well, looks good, has a quality feel, and was a reasonable price ($29.99 on their site for a #4 holster). I like it so much more than my High Noon single clip that holds a Ruger LCP.

Home of the Original Remora No Clip Holster

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about small world, or fate--my Remora should be here tomorrow! Just discovered them myself and ordered one for my PT745--can't wait to see how it does, and then maybe I'll get one for the PM9 as well. Thanks for the review!

So if I understand, you wear it like a normal IWB belt holster, only it's not actually attached to anything? Friction alone holds it in place?

Yep! Check out the link from the op, and there's some YouTube reviews as well. It's funny, a guy jumps up and down just to show how it doesn't budge--LOL!

It's like any other IWB, but not actually connected to anything. The friction from the outer skin along with the pressure from your waistband/belt keeps it in place. The inner lining is just black ballistic nylon, so your firearm won't stick inside. There's welting along the opening made from the rubber stuff, so you do get about 1/4" of grippy on the inside edge. That keeps the firearm from shifting around inside the holster. They also have mag holsters.

Mine just arrived today! I, too, have had trouble getting the right "feel", and thus far I really like the Remora. In just 30 min I basically "tried out" multiple carry positions and styles, heights, etc and think I've got two ways that feel really comfortable. The holster stays in place standing, bending, sitting, no probs. Love it! Will try it out for a couple of weeks out and about and then consider getting one for the PM9, too! Curiousgb, hope your wife likes it!

• 1 month later...

Update....

Close to 2 months into this thing and I still like it better than any other. Stays put. I did have it drop out of my shorts one day at home, but that's because my belt was too loose. Saturday...being lazy. No damage to the gun or the holster.

One problem to note. The mag release button can be depressed by the welted edge of the holster when squeezed by the belt. It has probably been this way for a while, but I just noticed it last night. Maybe it only happens when moving in a certain way. I'll have to add pressing up on the mag when drawing as part of my practice.