New-to-me Millet DMS-1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Dolomite! I've heard the same, and have been looking for a good deal on this scope for a few months now--and it goes to show that if you wait and wait and wait good things are bound to come around.

Edited by Jon_L
Guest GunTroll

Whats the scoop on the reticle? Is there some sort of built in BDC or something. From the photo it doesn't look so but I thought there was from the product description.

Also what do you think of the eye relief? How much would you say is there?

It's hard for my to say about the eye relief. I have a mild astigmastism so it's a bit buggy with me. Can't say whether or not I'll be able to use it until I get out to the range, aswell. Ah, so I forgot to mention that this is going on my wife's rifle when I get it re-done (it has an A2-carry handle upper, so I need to get it flat-top'd).

But the web says: 3.5"

Edited by Jon_L
Guest GunTroll

3.5 is generous enough for me. I'm in the market for one. Not sure what brand I'm leaning however. I have about a $250 budget total. Good thing I get dealer cost :D .

3.5 is generous enough for me. I'm in the market for one. Not sure what brand I'm leaning however. I have about a $250 budget total. Good thing I get dealer cost :D .

Ah... American Defense mount, and a blister pack scope from the Bass Pro :)

Guest GunTroll

I was implying $250 just for the optic. Mount would be separate all together. I'm liking the Leupold Mark AR or the Nikon 223 1.5 - 4 powered scopes in addition to the Millet DMS. Both are easily within the $250 budget.

What do you plan on using it for?

Longest expected shot?

I liked having a 2x-7x scope for longer shots with a mini red dot offset for close in work. Now I only use a Millet Zoom Dot. It automatically adjusts to ambient light without any input from me. The knob adjusts the dot size from 1 to 10 MOA. It worked well enough that on its smallest dot size 500+ yard shots were easy.

Dolomite

I was implying $250 just for the optic. Mount would be separate all together. I'm liking the Leupold Mark AR or the Nikon 223 1.5 - 4 powered scopes in addition to the Millet DMS. Both are easily within the $250 budget.

Got it. The "total" part threw me off.

Guest GunTroll
What do you plan on using it for?

Longest expected shot?

I liked having a 2x-7x scope for longer shots with a mini red dot offset for close in work. Now I only use a Millet Zoom Dot. It automatically adjusts to ambient light without any input from me. The knob adjusts the dot size from 1 to 10 MOA. It worked well enough that on its smallest dot size 500+ yard shots were easy.

Dolomite

Small game hunting. Mainly coyote within semi thick woods here near my home. Nothing too wide open. Of course I'm not opposed to the tactical way of thinking with a lower powered scope that still has some zoom for a bit more precision. But mainly coyote in the woods.

Got it. The "total" part threw me off.

I can see that.

This is just me (and my eyes), but hunting anything in the woods means you may need to place a shot with an obstructed view. If I can make out his elbow, I know where the vital zone is. I've been a fan of 3-9 hunting scopes since I was a young guy with perfect vision.

So, guys, as a complete newbie to scopes I've got a question for the more experienced; how do I zero in a variable zoom scope? Do I have to zero in for every level or what? And as for scope terms (A.K.A. "slang")I know none od them so if you make it appear in English I`d owe you a million. :D

So, guys, as a complete newbie to scopes I've got a question for the more experienced; how do I zero in a variable zoom scope? Do I have to zero in for every level or what? And as for scope terms (A.K.A. "slang")I know none od them so if you make it appear in English I`d owe you a million. :D

A good scope should hit the same spot no matter the magnification. At 50 yards for 5.56 just use 4x on the Millet. You can check it by backing it down 1x at a time. The scope should hit the same spot, however don't forget that with less magnification your reticle takes up a larger area on the target thus making it a little more difficult to be putting the reticle in the exact same spot. Some scopes will only mil out at a certain magnification, so if you're doing hold over shots at long range there might be a magnification that is recommended. This is a non issue with the Millet because it's not a BDC reticle.

As far as zeroing.... that scope should be on paper already since I zeroed it on a flat top AR :tough:

So, guys, as a complete newbie to scopes I've got a question for the more experienced; how do I zero in a variable zoom scope? Do I have to zero in for every level or what? And as for scope terms (A.K.A. "slang")I know none od them so if you make it appear in English I`d owe you a million. :)

This explains it pretty well. The scope has some ranging capability...

http://www.millettsights.com/downloads/DMS_Manual_1LIM_WEB.pdf

You might see the front post sight in the optic until you get past 2-2.5x. If you want to have the clearest view I'd get a low profile gas block or a picatinny gas block and toss a flip up iron sight on the front.

I'm thinking about getting one of these with quick mounts. It will share a rifle with an Aimpoint on a lower 1/3 mount. Since the Millet mount needs to be high enough to clear a folded Magpul MBUS rear sight, I'm thinking about just going with the same lower 1/3 height with the scope. That should get the front sight mostly out of the way.

You might see the front post sight in the optic until you get past 2-2.5x. If you want to have the clearest view I'd get a low profile gas block or a picatinny gas block and toss a flip up iron sight on the front.

I'm rebuilding the upper that this scope is going on, and a folding sight is on the list. It's piecing together agonizingly slow, but I can't complain if I'm getting somewhere.