ORSA 3 Gun June 19th

There's a 3 gun match this Sunday at the ORSA range in Oak Ridge. Go to ORSA 3 Gun for details. Matches start at 10am, registration starts at 9am. $10 for members / $15 for non-members. Must have chamber flags which are available for $5.

The side entrance gate will have a combination posted on it.....you turn off the turnpike by a park...go down the road behind the park and gate is on the right.

It's a lot of fun and a great group of shooters. First timers always welcome!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked but did not see any round counts, type of ammunition required for rifle and pistol. I did see what was necessary for shotgun though. I would love to do one of these but I have never been to one and may want to come watch, is that acceptable?

If you click on stages, there is a round count posted. Most people shoot .223, 9mm, and birdshot 12ga. You can run a .22lr for pistol or rifle also I believe. If you want to run .45 and .308 you'll be in the heavy metal class. The advantage of this is the deductions are less for misses than with 9mm. This kinda levels things out as the recoil is more on higher calibers. Of course you can come watch, but I think you'll want to do it when you get there...lol. The guys are very friendly to new shooters and it's not a high pressure or super competitive deal so don't be nervous. They will walk you through everything in the morning and make sure you are comfortable. If you want to shoot, make sure you have a secure holster for your pistol like a Blackhawk Serpa.

Secure holster? My galco leather holster will not work? Or do you mean one that secures the weapon from getting away?...

I have not shot in awhile but I would love to shoot on something a little different than a square range, where I have to think some.

Your galco holster will probably be fine. You may/will be running from point to point with a loaded pistol in your holster so you do NOT want the gun falling out. A positive retention, ie thumb snap or locking doodad is not a necessity in the holster. Most IWB holsters are adequate for good retention of your pistol. OWB's can be fine too. Put your unloaded pistol in the holster, holding just the holster, turn it upside down. If the pistol doesnt fall out your good to go.

They are usually done around 2pm. The match tomorrow is gonna start a little late because the organizer couldn't get the stages setup today due to the weather. He's going to set them up in the morning. I'd say we'll be off and running by 10:30 though.

I've seen everyone from younger guys to 50+ year old men out there with just about every type of gun and skill level. Come on out....my first time wasn't too long ago. I was nervous a little too but was really glad I got into it. Shooting under stress is so much different than plinking at the range. I learned real quick that I wasn't as good as I thought I was. I also learned quite a bit by watching the more experienced guys run the stages.

Edited by Kenstaroni

Guys, the folks out at ORSA are super friendly. I did not get to shoot as I was bringing a buddy and would not be able to stick around long enough, but I am already budgeting for some ammo for next month.

Ken, thank you sir for welcoming me and answering questions. I really appreciate you posting this up here and squaring me away. I have GOT to get out there for some fun, I am sure I will bring some good comic relief to what you guys are used to. I cannot thank you enough!

I'll make sure I check this forum frequently to look for the next date, dude. I'd love to come in and watch, possibly participate if they allow S12s.

ETAsk: do they allow rimfires to compete? My brother is interested, but likes his 10/22 the most :)

Edited by Jon_L