Plane Vs. Cross Wind

Guest db99wj

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj
Not wind shear, but a very strong crosswind. Obviously stronger than the demonstrated crosswind component for the aircraft and that particular pilot.

I stand corrected, but I cannot correct the title!

Guest Boomhower

I've heard talk about our company plane having to land that way in certain places. One that comes to mind is in KY.............I just flew to TX 2 weeks ago and the cloud cover there was so low one day that we dropped out of the sky at 400 ft. and there was the ground :cheers:. Then when we landed at 300 + MPH on a wet run way, the anti-skid kicked in on the landing gear locking up one wheel at a time and jerking the plane from left to right as we slowed down. That was real pucker moment and I'm pretty sure that I pinched off a chunck of the seat on the plane.

Guest bulletproof

I know what that is like. The plane I was on landed in a 70 mile an hour thunder storm in Kansas City and the right wing went up in the air just like that one. What made it really bad was the yahoo next to me threw his cup of coke into my lap.

Guest canynracer

HOLY CRAP!!! that pilot needs a freaking metal...just for keeping that wing off the deck..holy hell I pooped FOR the passengers!!

Guest db99wj
HOLY CRAP!!! that pilot needs a freaking metal...just for keeping that wing off the deck..holy hell I pooped FOR the passengers!!

Didn't a couple of FredEx planes play footsie or I guess wingsie out at Memphis Int. last week?:shrug:

Guest db99wj
not that I heard.......and no, I am not protecting, I REALLY didnt hear that..LOL

Found it, not really FedEx problem, it sounds more like a controller problem.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23400554

FAA probing FedEx planes' near missThe Associated Press

updated 11:03 a.m. CT, Fri., Feb. 29, 2008

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Two FedEx jets got too close to each other on takeoff from the Memphis airport last week because of confusion over flight numbers for the planes, a Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman said Thursday.

The incident, which the FAA classified as serious, air traffic control error, remained under investigation.

The air traffic controllers union blamed the incident and other recent mistakes by controllers at Memphis on short staffing and forced overtime.

Kathleen Bergen, an FAA spokeswoman in Atlanta, disagreed. "We have never found fatigue to be an issue in any of the errors that have occurred at Memphis," Bergen said.

On Feb. 21, two FedEx jets flying in the same direction on takeoff came within 200 feet vertically and three-fourths of a mile horizontally to each other, Bergen said. Big jets in the Memphis area are supposed to keep a distance of at least 1,000 feet vertically and 3 miles horizontally.

"Those airplanes were extremely close together and that's just seconds away from the two of them hitting," said Ron Carpenter, local president of the National Air Traffic Controllers Association.

Bergen said the flights had similar numbers _ 527 and 257 _ that caused confusion sending one plane on a wrong turn shortly after they took off at the same time on separate runways.

The incident began with the pilot of one plane getting on the wrong radio frequency "and accepting instructions intended for another aircraft," Bergen said. FAA rules require pilots to read back flight instructions and for controllers to make sure they were properly received.

"The controller didn't recognize the error on read-back," Bergen said.

Bergen said the controller was decertified and will be retrained. The pilot's error was still under investigation.

FedEx declined comment, noting the investigation was ongoing.

You know you are covering...you drink the purple and orange :shrug:

Did you know that between the E and the X (Ex)makes an arrow? You can kind of see it in my example, it points ---> way.:biglol:

Guest canynracer

I knew the arrow...and I drink purple and silver actually, orange is express, I work for services :shrug:

and this is the first I have heard of it...I am a computer nerd, they dont tell us anything :biglol:

Man, that's one heck of a crosswind. Looks like it was gusty as well. The pilot had it set up correctly, but then either over-corrected just before touchdown or caught a gust at just the wrong time.

I could not tell if the pilot was trying to slip on approach, sometimes when coming out of a slip, the tendency is to over-correct (at least with me that is...)

I've seen some situations where the nose is basically 90 degrees off the centerline. You can fly straight like that, but that moment when you kick the rudder over to get the tires pointed the right way is one of those that separates they boys from the men. Three things can happen, 2 of them bad: 1) you land well; 2) what happened to the dude in the video; 3) you shear the gear off (maintenance hates when you do that.)

Time to try another runway or head for the alternate.

Guest someguy12341

Reminds me of a story a coworker told me of when he worked at FedEx... Riding on a jump-seat (in the cockpit) flight back to Memphis from SC, DC-10, he wakes up during the descent to the following: The pilot is flying off instruments, it's blinding rain and crosswind, and the co-pilot is leaning forward towards the windshield saying, 'Still can't see it yet, nope, nothing yet...' Evidently looking for the runway. (He turned pale just telling me the story.) They get down to about 250 feet, see the runway about 250 feet to the LEFT, and both pilots go, 'sh*t, there it is!'. The pilot jerks the plane over, sets it down perfectly, and they brake to a stop right at the end of the tarmac. High-fives all around. The pilot then looks over at John and says, '99% of the time, we're WAAAAY overpaid. Nights like tonight, we earn our money.'

No argument here. BTW, both pilots are former Navy; Captain is former Blue Angel.

Guest jackdog

similar thing happened to me about 12 years ago coming into DFW. Left wing tip could not have been more than 3 or4 feet off the deck. Scared the crap out of me. As we were de-boarding the pilots were standing by the cabin door, They looked visibly shaken. Pilot said ne got hit with a wind shear gust just before touch down. Wierd because it was clear and sunny and the flight up until that moment was smooth as silk.

Guest Boomhower
300?

That's what the handy little tv screen at the front of the plane said as we touched down. :koolaid:. I'm no pilot, just a passenger.