Steel match for pistols, shotguns for fun

STEEL and SHOTGUN

Music City Tactical Shooters will be hosting a Pistol Steel Match & Shotgun Side Match on Saturday July 16th in Dickson, TN.

76 rounds for pistol (minimum) and 36 shotshells (no slugs).

The steel match will be scored IDPA-style with unlimited magazines.

From head plates and poppers to plate racks and Texas Stars, it will certainly be a fun challenge for any shooter (and quite possibly entertaining as well). :)

For the Course of Fire description, check out http://www.mctsclub.com/07162011_mcts.pdf.

As always, you can find directions to the range and more information about MCTS at www.mctsclub.com.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG, this is a dream come true match! I LOVE SHOOTING STEEL!

I assume the shotgun match is optional or you wouldn't call it a "side" match, right?

What kind of shotgun do most use for a shotgun match? The tactical style like for home defense? A skeet gun? Or will any ol' hunting stlye shotgun work?

Sounds interesting. If I can work up the nerve to show up with my Mossberg 500 at a skeet range to go up against those expensive over/unders, I can take a lil' ribbing from you guys about it too.

Anybody care to recommend a load?

Any shotgun will do. Some are better than others but anything will work. Two divisions for shotguns: pumps vs pumps and semi auto vs semi autos. Hope everyone will have fun!

As many times as I've heard you say you %$#@ HATE shooting steel, you sure have a sick sense of humor when it comes to course design. I mean that as a compliment, of course. This looks VERY challenging, my hat's off to you. You've outdone yourself, sir.

Edited by BigK

This is no way as sick for hardness as the last steel match in December. I was cursed at. It was 41 round count and most of the shooters went over a hundred or had to go to Walmart for more ammo. Look at the cof of last year's match. I hate steel but not scared of it. I know my limitations.

Whoa, I looked back at the 12/18 course of fire and you weren't kidding. That looks tough. Stage 2 was just sick and wrong..."Shoot on the move without hitting Non Threats!"...really?!

I can see how that might leave a bad taste in your mouth for steel shooting, LOL.

BTW...I've seen you shoot, I know you ain't skeered of steel. Personally, I like it for the instant gratification it delivers. Oh, and not pasting targets.

Hey Robert I think this is what you are asking.

SSP 10 round max mags, must fit in IDPA box DA, DA/SA, Striker, 1911 single stacks. IDPA gear placement, iron sights. (Combination of SSP, Production and Single Stack) Minor PF

ESP hi-cap mags, race holsters, pouches, belts, iron sights, Major PF

CDP hi-cap mags, race holsters, pouches, belts, comps, optics, Major PF

Hey Robert I think this is what you are asking.

ESP hi-cap mags, race holsters, pouches, belts, iron sights, Major PF

This is the third time someone emailed me about Major PF for ESP or mentioned it in a thread. 147 gr FMJ out of a G17 at 1125 fps is boardering on KABOOM. I have yet to see anyone's steel match utilize PF. Greg put these RUN & GUN rules to my COFs by my request and I did not know that it contained PF rules. If you are shooting full cap magazines from a glock/M&P type gun without compensators or optics, this will be fine for ESP. I will do better on my oversight in the future.

Guest Oldretiredsarge

Ok..can somebody help me out here? I am wanting to shoot this, but confused on the number of mags that i should have. I have 2 options..Kimber 45 (single stack of course).. and a Glock 34...any help is appreciated..thanks Warren

No limit on the amount of magazines, carry as many as you wish.

One course of fire(COF) is 32 rounds minimum. Shoot until all steel down.

Then there is the "Texas Stars":devil: COF--only 14 rounds. No telling how many it will take me :lol:.

You can shoot in the 10 round class but I bet no one does. I am shooting my M&P, 17 rounds, one mag in gun two on belt and another, just in case, in my pocket. LOL!! May have to get another mag holder and a couple of mags. They said people had to leave and get more ammo during last years match.