Mid-South Airshow and CCW

I sent an email off to the Mid-South Airshow people to ask them about CCW at the show to see what kind of response I would get. They were very nice in their response but I was told that weapons were prohibited plus homeland security would be there. Not sure if it was meant that they would provide security for the whole show or just oversee everything.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Dept. of Homeland Security will be at an airsoft show?

That tells me one of two things:

1. The promoter is full of crap, and DHS will not be there.

2. If in fact DHS has a light enough work load that they are working/overseeing/attending an airsoft show, I call for the immediate reduction in their budget for funds, equipment, and personnel.

Wow. Dept. of Homeland Security will be at an airsoft show?

That tells me one of two things:

1. The promoter is full of crap, and DHS will not be there.

2. If in fact DHS has a light enough work load that they are working/overseeing/attending an airsoft show, I call for the immediate reduction in their budget for funds, equipment, and personnel.

Im confused, I thought the OP was talking about Midsouth Airshow and I can see why homeland would be there for that.

Guest db99wj

I would say no, it is not allowed. the show is located on the Millington Navel Base here in Shelby County and it is a fully secure base, according to our office manager who retired from there and her husband is still working there.

Memphis Air Show 2011 - Memphis Airshow 2011

The Blue Angels will be there along with a FA-18 Hornet Demonstration, F4U Corsair, FA-18 / F4U Corsair Legacy Flight, F-16 Viper Demonstration, F-4 Phantom, F-16 / F-4 Heritage Flight, Canadian CF-18 Demonstration, Skip Stewart, Red Bull Air Force, Kirby Chambliss, Chuck Aaron - Helicopter Aerobatics, Red Bull Skydivers, Michael Goulian, Gene Soucy / Teresa Stokes WingWalking, Matt Chapman, Michael Wiskus, Red Eagles, Jason Newburg, Jan Collmer, Kent Pietsch. Ric Peterson - Master of Ceremonies.

Guest WyattEarp
I sent an email off to the Mid-South Airshow people to ask them about CCW at the show to see what kind of response I would get. They were very nice in their response but I was told that weapons were prohibited plus homeland security would be there. Not sure if it was meant that they would provide security for the whole show or just oversee everything.

it depends on the show, shows held on military grounds are screened with medal detectors and your camera and diaper bags searched by hand before admittance at the gates and firearms, weapons, knives and explosives in any fashion are prohibited (yet they sell the kids toy guns at the souvenir tents...:popcorn:...oh the irony).

I doubt that Homeland Security will be there, they military base will use Marines and Navy personnel, plus county leo's, and state troopers. I've been to about 200 airshows in my lifetime and I've yet to see Homeland Security at an airshow (but that doesn't mean they don't do airshows, just none I've been to so far).

if it's a public show on private property like the Smyrna Airshow, then it's doubtful they screened anyone. I don't know if they were waving the hand held scanners over anyone at the Smyrna Airshow, because I had a press pass, and I just flashed my little badge and was waved in without obstruction or being searched, but it would be at the discretion of the head honcho in charge of the airport whether to allow carry or not. But I've yet to see an airshow at a public airport allow carry either.

I would say no, it is not allowed. the show is located on the Millington Navel Base here in Shelby County and it is a fully secure base, according to our office manager who retired from there and her husband is still working there.

Memphis Air Show 2011 - Memphis Airshow 2011

The Blue Angels will be there along with a FA-18 Hornet Demonstration, F4U Corsair, FA-18 / F4U Corsair Legacy Flight, F-16 Viper Demonstration, F-4 Phantom, F-16 / F-4 Heritage Flight, Canadian CF-18 Demonstration, Skip Stewart, Red Bull Air Force, Kirby Chambliss, Chuck Aaron - Helicopter Aerobatics, Red Bull Skydivers, Michael Goulian, Gene Soucy / Teresa Stokes WingWalking, Matt Chapman, Michael Wiskus, Red Eagles, Jason Newburg, Jan Collmer, Kent Pietsch. Ric Peterson - Master of Ceremonies.

I would concur about the answer being no. You cannot legally carry a firearm onto any Military Installation, unless of course, you are checking it with the Provost Marshall's Office for secure storage, or you are an MP, or some other form of personnel authorized to carry a military issue firearm. I wouldn't even recommend taking it with you and just leaving it in the car because most military facilities have been known to randomly search cars, and have bomb and drug sniffing dogs take a quick crack at the random car, and when you are on federal property, guess what? your right to unlawful search and seizure goes bye bye, because you're there voluntarily so you forfeit your 4th Amendment right.

However that link you posted is deader than a doornail :(

but I'm gonna have to keep my eyes on this one, may have to take a trip down to Memphis in September and enjoy a good show. Give me a chance to take the new Canon 7D for it's inaugural airshow test run along with my well seasoned 100-400mm lens (on a crop frame camera it becomes a beautiful 640mm which makes for some incredible close-ups). The F-4 Phantom is a rarity, the F-16 Viper should be good, and the Blue Angels as always rock. Should be a good show. I had limited success at the Smyrna Airshow, and hope to get another crack at that F4U (partly cloudy and hazy skies made for tricky lighting).

Here's a few shots from the Smyrna Airshow this year.

USAF Thunderbirds

IMG8592-M.jpg

IMG8021-M.jpg

i-dtm99BZ-M.jpg

F4U Corsair

IMG9296-M.jpg

IMG9471-M.jpg

Edited by WyattEarp
  • 2 months later...
Guest WyattEarp

im still up in the air if I'm going to this or not Sunday. Forecast is calling for 30% chance of rain, which means cloudy skies, and terrible lighting for shooting an airshow. plus I feel like crap as I've come down with a terrible bought of bronchitis.

I really want to go, but if the skies are gonna be cloudy and it's likely to rain, it won't be too enjoyable.

When I went to the Smyrna Airshow earlier this year DHS was there including TSA agents. Although, you payed or presented your tickets as you drove through the gates there was no form of screening. We just parked and walked in. Inside is where I saw the TSA walking around showing a presence, I never saw them stop or talk to anyone.