2011 College Football Season

Guest WyattEarp

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WyattEarp
Charlie Weis is leaving Fl. Ya can't blame him for moving to a better team Kansas

Kansas Jayhawks has hire Charlie Weis as football coach - ESPN

awesome!

Horrible hire for Kansas.

When a reporter asked former Florida State head coach Bobby Bowden about the hire he said, "You got to be kidding me. He's going to be the head coach?"

horrible hire? based on what? they were 2-10 under Turner Gill. They had 2 good seasons under Mangino, and for the longest time before that, were mostly irrelevant. They can't get any worse with Weis.

the KU Athletic Department is finally getting serious about competing for Big 12 Championships in football, props to them. for years, their basketball program was the darling of the school, and still is,

but after Mangino took them to the Orange Bowl and won against VA Tech, they've adopted a higher standard.

Great hire for Kansas.

Guest WyattEarp
Charlie Weiss pretty much already proved he can't oversee a college football team.

he was also at Notre Dame, where the standard is so ridiculously high, that he's the longest coach they've kept around the last 20 years, because they either run everyone off, or they leave to go somewhere else!

Kansas is a little less stringent with their expectations, 7-5, 8-4 will make Kansas proud. They might occassionally get to 9-3.

he was also at Notre Dame, where the standard is so ridiculously high, that he's the longest coach they've kept around the last 20 years, because they either run everyone off, or they leave to go somewhere else!

He was 35-27 @ ND - hardly a failure to achieve 'ridiculously high' standards. That would get you fired from almost any coaching job where they take football seriously.

And heck, he got worse as the years went by - his recruiting obviously blows as compared to Willingham. Either that or he cannot develop players.

Kansas is a little less stringent with their expectations, 7-5, 8-4 will make Kansas proud. They might occassionally get to 9-3.

Then he should be perfect. He's proved he's not a very good head coach and heck, his offense at UF was, well, offensive.

It's a real head-scratcher from Kansas.

Case in point: every single one of my UF friends (I grew up in Florida, so I know tons) is THRILLED that he's gone. Not a single person wishes he had stayed...

He was 35-27 @ ND - hardly a failure to achieve 'ridiculously high' standards. That would get you fired from almost any coaching job where they take football seriously.

And heck, he got worse as the years went by - his recruiting obviously blows as compared to Willingham. Either that or he cannot develop players.

Then he should be perfect. He's proved he's not a very good head coach and heck, his offense at UF was, well, offensive.

It's a real head-scratcher from Kansas.

Case in point: every single one of my UF friends (I grew up in Florida, so I know tons) is THRILLED that he's gone. Not a single person wishes he had stayed...

I wanna know how he got the term genius at NE

Guest WyattEarp
I wanna know how he got the term genius at NE

something about 3 Super Bowl titles I think. clearly Belichick and Brady were 2 running that show. B)

Yea pretty much what they guys above said. Ask any UF fan how they liked him in his short time in Gainesville. He might be a .500 coach if he brings in a hot shot assistant who can recruit. If he is going to be the main recruiter at KU, he won't be there very long.

Whats the chances of Urban helping Ohio state with game plan with bowl game against Florida. Urban says Fickel will coach game but Urban should have alot of helpful knowledge :)

Helpful knowledge of what? Offensive and defensive schemes that are radically different than what he ran when he was at UF?

Guest WyattEarp
Yea pretty much what they guys above said. Ask any UF fan how they liked him in his short time in Gainesville. He might be a .500 coach if he brings in a hot shot assistant who can recruit. If he is going to be the main recruiter at KU, he won't be there very long.

he didn't exactly get any time to implement anything, especially when the starting QB went down with injuries, then the backup IIRC. there was no cohesion, no consistency, and they are a young team under Muschamp. anyone who thought Muschamp and Weis were coming in and pulling a 9-3 out this year was delusional and had unrealistic expectations.

your offense and offensive schemes can't work, when you don't have the appropriate personnel to run the scheme you want. He might not have been very good at ND in his final few years, but he did good his first 2. He did a great job as OC for the KC Chiefs last year. Kansas is not a major player in college football, so I don't think anyone there expects him to come in and win the national championship next year or even the Big 12. Give him a few seasons, they'll be above average for what Kansas' football history has been. 7-5, 8-4, and going to bowl games and winning them, that'll make the boosters and the A.D. real happy and he'll be there for a long long time. Remember, their first darling is and always will be NCAA Basketball, and that'll never change. Football takes a backseat at KU. I should know, I lived 50 miles from there and grew up watching Jayhawk basketball and football, and football's never been as important as basketball.

Helpful knowledge of what? Offensive and defensive schemes that are radically different than what he ran when he was at UF?

The schemes may have changed but he still knows some of the Fl system and also recruited and knows most the players. He's only been gone a year which you would have to think give him an little edge. I'm not a Urban fan nor Florida or Ohio.

Just saying it would be helpful. You think if Nick went to Florida after only year it wouldn't benefit Florida

Edited by laktrash
The schemes may have changed but he still knows some of the Fl system and also recruited and knows most the players.

No offense, but i think you're vastly underestimating just how different Urban's spread-option offense is from a traditional pro set.

In a world of 300+ page play-books just for the offense, I doubt Urban could bring anything to the table other than "this guy is fast, that guy is really fast..."