2 Day Precision Rifle Marksmanship Course Smyrna, TN August 27-28

Guest TNdad

Project Appleseed is a nationwide program that teaches rifle marksmanship skills that have been passed down from generation to generation and reconnects Americans with the people and events of colonial America. Participants are taught skills that allow a Rifleman to be accurate out to 500 yards using a standard rifle with iron sights and surplus ammunition. This ability is traditionally known as mastering the "Rifleman's Quarter Mile" and is an American tradition that has been part of this nation from its very first days. So join us and hear some little-known Revolutionary War history, reaffirm your heritage, and make America a better place.

You know you always wanted to go to one, now's the time! Learn More, Find Directions and Register at www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=21472.0

Preregistration Fees (per person): $45 for one day or $70 for both days. Women: $5 for one day or $10 for both days. Under 21: $2.50 for one day or $5 for both days.Walk on fees are higher. Active Military, Reserve, and Guard w/ ID, Law Enforcement Officers (w/ ID), Disabled (w/ ID), Re-enactors in period dress, Elected officials (w/proof) shoot for free!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt see any more info on the course, but the range said 223 and below, so what exactly are you shooting, do we bring our own guns and ammo, etc? It refers to revolutionary war, are you shooting a BP musket?! It also refers to surplus ammo so I am ultra confused.

Guest Papabear

Normally they use a simulated distance target for the long range shooting. Much like the Military does these days. It teaches you the basics of the rifle marksmanship but not the practical application of actually shooting long distance. I have seen nice 500 yard groups shot with a .22LR on a simulated target but it reality a .22LR would never be able to accomplish the feat.

But I will give the Appleseed group a lot of credit on teaching good marksmanship skills. They normally cover the shooting positions very well and how to use a rifle sling as a stabilizer etc.. It is worth checking out.

• Administrator

I definitely did not mean to imply that this would not be a worthwhile endeavor. The Nat Guard shooting range is a nice facility and the concepts they will teach should be solid. Real long range shooting is a different animal, though, with additional complexities and variables thrown in: Temperature, wind, affect of convection (mirages) on shooting, etc. It's pretty fascinating stuff.

I'm going in October--looking forward to some rifle help, good history, and getting to see the range--always wanted to go and never found the excuse/time. I'll be sure to wear my TGO hat in case others on here attend (not assuming anyone would want to see my ugly mug up close in any case, though--LOL!)

Guest nicemac
I really want to go to this. I don't know **** about shooting past 10 yards. I've been looking everywhere on all the links provided. I don't see how much ammo is required. Anybody know how that works?

"Rifles and ammunition are not supplied. Bring 1,000 rounds per shooter for the weekend. "

Check out the link I put up, it says what to bring and so on, and from where that link is you can see how their site works to find more info easier. But that range says 223 or smaller. The distance of the range in question, I did not see it. If I go I want to take a specific rifle that would not be allowed here, and I am 900 rounds short of a weekend anyway, and I want to do it on a 300-500 yard range if possible not 100 on a simulated target. So this event is out for me but I am going to take a look at their other events to see if I can find a more suitable one. First I gotta buy a sackfull of brass for my rifle... a real love/hate relationship with the oddball calibers here :) It looks like you can do 1 day on 400-500 rounds if you want to only do half the event, and your wife can go ultra cheap (women price is very low) if she is interested, and kids are also cheap if they are of age to shoot.

Edited by Jonnin

a couple of links and hopefully some answers:

Folks typically bring whatever rifle they have. of course considering the range requirements also. In this case - 223. I use a ruger 10/22 much like the one in the link below and bring a brick of 500 rounds from Walmart/etc. I bring a little mat (some folks bring a workout mat or carpet).

It changed me from shooting sitting on a bench with a sandbag or bipod almost frustrated if I needed to get a more expensive scope or ammo or stock to get that better group TO learning how to shoot standing, sitting, prone and being much happier with my groups knowing it was actually 'me' and not technology.

If you doubt 25 yards/meters... it's harder than you think. The targets are scaled down to hit man sized targets at different distances and even 'head shots' at 250 yards using ANY rifle/ammo. (With iron sights is you wish.)

It's a great program. Also note that the folks helping with this are volunteers. Many will drive over an hour and 'give up' (I quote it because we don't see it as something we 'give up') a weekend. imho, totally worth it; just go out there. You'll learn more about our country, learn to shoot a little better (or for some like me, much better) and you get to make some friends. At worst, it's you get to shoot with a bunch of great company.

Appleseed Project: Appleseed FAQ

Appleseed Project: The Liberty Training Rifle

Edited by vujade

As for age, I've seen families who bring kids as young as 7-8. I also saw someone bring their 80-ish year old grandpa.

It is the whole day so bring what makes you comfy. It's also at your pace so if the wife needs a break, sit that round out. Most of us will be so eager to make 'rifleman' that you'll want every opportunity to shoot!

It's a great family event. Good place to take a date. Good place to go on your own/you'll find friends quickly.

Like others have said 1000 rounds is an outside estimate; most only shoot about 250-400 per weekend. If you have a 500 round brick, you should be set. I've never shot more than 500 due to instruction and new people slowing things down. I guess that if the group was all experienced shooters you could get 1000 rounds in during the 2 day event.

As far as the 500 yrd shooting, the majority of shooting will be at 25 meters but the targets are scaled from 100 out to 400 yards. Smyrna is one of our shorter ranges and only does 25 meters, so this event will be 25 meters only, the best distance for rifle marksmanship training. So leave the big cannon at home, and bring the .22 rimfire and two bricks of ammo for a weekend of cheap shooting. Or sign up for the Manchester event and bring the cannon, I'll be at Manchester with my LAR-8 Operator.

We also put these events on down in Manchester at the Arnold Air Force base; there we go out to at least 100 yards and some times out to 600. I'll be at Manchester with my LAR-8 Operator. My kids like to say "daddy like big boom!"

Smyrna is also a short berm range so they limit the caliber to 223 and less. The Manchester events use up to 30 cal. Also, Smyrna has nice covered shooting lines so the sun won't be that much of a problem. Both of these ranges are top notch ranges

If anyone has any questions you can PM here or email me at TN@appleseedinfo.org and I or the state coordinator will get right back with you. Also, if anyone is thinking about getting a historic CMP Garand (or other rifle) for about half the market price, this counts towards one of the requirements.

• 1 month later...

Over the Labor Day weekend, we had an Appleseed clinic at Manchster that included KD (known didstance) shooting instruction to 100 yards. This shows that the 25 yd instruction works when even 22s with iron sights can pepper the V ring consistantly. We teach typical come-ups and easy wind doping.

Then on Monday we had an Instructor only KD course and AQT out to 400 yd. We started with some really great instruction and then got out on the 600 yd range. We all started with a 25 yd zero and shot a 5 round 100 yd sighter to prove our learned come-ups. After making our sight adjustments we shot 10 rounds for score. We then mucked back to the 200 yd berm (remember the rain we had on the 4th?) and did the same 5 round sighter and 10 round for score. Our wind doping really came into play as the wind was really blustery and changed direction as the day progressed. Then we went out to 300 and did the same and then out to 400. By that time most of our cardboard backers had delaminated and our targets were flapping in the breeze. But after scoring I had shot a 212 out of 250. Good enough to call myself a Rifleman (or expert marksman in the military); 210 is the score needed for expert marksman. This was the first time that I had shot more than 200 yds since my Army days and also with a recently purchased RRA LAR-8.

I really can't say enough about the Appleseed instruction (and Rock River Arms 308s). Where else can you get this kind of marksmanship instruction for only $70? Using a stock rifle (although a really great stock rifle) and mililtary surplus m-80 ammo (I had one really bad flyer - 2' low at 300 yd) and Appleseed instruction just about anyone can shoot Rifleman. You can go to http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=24937.msg191601#msg191601 to see a writeup of the event and a couple pics of the KD at the bottom.