West Memphis Three being freed?

Daniel

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I'm following it on the local newscasts and it appears that they will be freed today. Word right now is that the state will concede a new trial is warranted and then the WM3 will make an "Alford" plea to 1st Degree Murder in which they maintain their innocence while conceding the state has enough evidence to win. They will then be freed on time served.

Free The West Memphis Three

[h=1]WM3 leave prison with all belongings; source says they are not expected

back[/h]

by Mara Leveritt

on August 18, 2011

Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley, Jr. have been taken from

their cells in the Arkansas Department of Correction and are being transported

to Jonesboro, for tomorrow’s hearing. An official of the ADC reported that they

left with all their belongings, which is unusual and suggests that they are not

expected back. This is the first time all three have left prison together.

I am in Jonesboro now and rumors are flying. It appears that an agreement has

been reached between prosecutors and defense attorneys. However, I believe some

media reports that have already been released are inaccurate.

Negotiations have been complex. An agreement, if one is approved in court

tomorrow, will likely be complex too. Please remember how wild speculation

distorted the start of this case. If a possible end is in sight, I hope that the

next several sensitive hours will not also be marred—nor jeopardized—by a frenzy

of speculation and rumors.

Guest bkelm18
What is the down and dirty on this, cliff notes if you will? Why should they be released?

I haven't been following it.

DNA evidence (which wasn't available at the time) does not match any of them. The only confession that came out was made from one of them (who I believe is mentally handicapped) after supposedly intense police interrogation. I'm sure there's more.

• Moderators

Jesse Misskelly, who has an IQ of 72, was a minor and was interrogated for approximately 12 hours without parental consent and in that time gave a confession which was later recanted. At the time West Memphis PD did not record or videotape interrogations so there is no way to determine if or what level of coercion occurred during the interrogation.

I have followed this case for years. My family and I moved to NW Arkansas in 94 after my dad retired from the AF. I along with many others are of the opinion these 3 were convicted of being weird kids who wore black clothes and listened to heavy metal music. I was one of those same kids so I have always identified with the WM3.

West Memphis Three - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm glad they are out. I've read quite a bit on it and talked to various people who followed it closely and the general consensus was they were railroaded. Bad police work and community pressure to put someone in jail is what got them convicted.

One of the victim's father doesn't even believe they did it. DNA evidence points to one of the victim's Step-Father.