LDS Cannery Info

My wife and I made a trip to Hendersonville to the LDS Cannery/ Bishop's Storehouse yesterday (Tuesday). To our surprise, there was no one else there (customers). In past visits, there have been anywhere from 15-25 other folks in there canning food. We showed up and had the whole place to ourselves. There was a already canned supply of food on the shelf for purchase, so we only ended up canning a few items to replace the food we took.

The staff was very nice and helpful. They are all volunteers and really enjoy their work. They said that right now is the slow time for people to come to the cannery and to get the word out that they have lots of food available. They are only open on Tuesday's and Saturdays. Please call and make sure of that before traveling a long distance. They prefer you to make an appointment, but during these slow times they would have no problem getting you in.

The Church started a new rule back in January that "non-members" have to come with a Church member. That should not be too hard to do.

Their address is:

19 Industrial Park Drive

Hendersonville, Tennessee 37075

(615) 822-5584

For those of you who worry about such things, there is no preaching their message to you at the cannery. Just nice folks who want to help you get your food storage going.

I'll be glad to answer any questions about this.

Here is a recent price list.

http://www.providentliving.org/pfw/multimedia/files/pfw/pdf/123115_HSC_OrderForm_US_ENG_28_APR_2011_pdf.pdf

Edited by Westwindmike
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you give me a quick overview of how this works? I had some family firends that used to go over there all the time but they moved to NC. Do you package enough to replace what you buy? And on thir site it has bulk prices, how is that packed? Is it all 25lb in once package or are they split up? I am guessing that the volunteers are there to watch over you and make sure you don't mess up the process?

Normally you would go in, determine what and how much you want to can and just start canning. If you only wanted 2 cases(12 cans) of something, you would probably end up canning at least 15, so the excess goes on the shelf for someone else to buy. As luck would have it, when we arrived, the shelves were full so we started boxing up what we wanted. After that, we canned a few cases to fill up the holes we created on the shelf.

Take wheat for example. Grab a 25 pound bag of wheat. Pour it into a large plastic tub. Get the #10 cans and a scoop. Start filling the cans. Take cans to the lid machine, put an oxygen absorber in the can and put on the lid. The lid machine is pretty neat. The can spins while a mandrel pushes down on the lid and somehow it seals tight. Place label on can. Done!

Hope that answered your question.

• 3 weeks later...