Handguns and Hunting - 2011 TN Regs

R_Bert

If I read the regs right,

there is a reg change this year regarding the use of handguns.

It appears that there are no limitations are placed on length of a handgun barrel used for hunting (last year was 4" or more on centerfire)

Simplification of regs is a good thing. Yay Commission and TWRA!

Before someone squeels, yes.. use common sense and the right tool for the job.

B.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as ballistics, it depends on the caliber.

As far as aim, the longer the better.

As far as accuracy, well, that also depends on the gun and the shooter. I have several longer barrel guns that I do not perform as well as I do with shorter versions.

What made little sense last year was the fact that a one could not use for example, the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan (.44 Mag, .480 Ruger, and .454 Casull which have plenty of power to take a deer), but could use a 4" of anything down to and including .25ACP.

I sure do not see many limitations. Seems to be any centerfire hand gun for anything. Bring out those .25 saturday night specials, I knew those things would have a use someday...

kidding aside the barrel length reg was not a good thing (it had no productive effect). But there should be a muzzle energy reg for larger game, I know a responsible hunter wouldnt use a mousegun on a deer but there is always the novice group and the "watch this" crowd to deal with.

Look at the muzzle energy graphs across the calibers at BBTI - Results and you will see why arbitrarily assigning a minimum length of 4" is meaningless (especially at .25 Caliber).

- 4" at .25 cal was a poorly thought out rule (in terms of math & physics), and now with HCP on WMA's is impossible to enforce.

Guest GunTroll

I'm down with a muzzle energy limitation reg instead of any of the other crap TN has that desides weapon use with handgun or rifle. While I don't hunt with handguns I do with rifles. R_Bert is on to something IMO.

Rifle centerfire cartridges for large game is waaaay too broad! With 10,12,14,17,19,20, and even some 22 caliber centerfire cartridges out there...the regs are dumb and written with little foresight and understanding of terminal ballistics & common sense or the lack there of.

Any supporting info ?

I stand corrected! After checking with the TWRA the minimum barrel length requirement for handguns is no longer in effect. I am obviously surprised by this. :blush: Sorry R_Bert!

I stand corrected! After checking with the TWRA the minimum barrel length requirement for handguns is no longer in effect. I am obviously surprised by this. :blush: Sorry R_Bert!

No need to apologize ! Heck, I can't make sense of most of the reg guide, which is why I posted on this. Not only that, TWRA will quickly tell you that the reg guide is not the final word. Sometimes, the devil is in the details.....

Some regs need to be in place as far as caliber and barrel length. A responsible hunter knows...it's the "ya'hoos" we need regulations for! I can just see someone pulling a 38 derringer out of their boot and trying to shoot a deer. If you have REGULATIONS, that type of behavior can be averted. Just because something isn't in a written regulation, doesn't mean we have to throw out common sense!

BTW, you and I are in agreement on yahoos and use of common sense.

I personally won't shoot large game with any less than 500 - 700 ft-lbs of muzzle energy, and prefer over 1000 ft-lbs.

I'm down with a muzzle energy limitation reg instead of any of the other crap TN has that desides weapon use with handgun or rifle. While I don't hunt with handguns I do with rifles. R_Bert is on to something IMO.

Rifle centerfire cartridges for large game is waaaay too broad! With 10,12,14,17,19,20, and even some 22 caliber centerfire cartridges out there...the regs are dumb and written with little foresight and understanding of terminal ballistics & common sense or the lack there of.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to apply field enforcement of muzzle energy. The enforcement officers are typically degreed in biology, forestery, fisheries, etc. and sometimes criminal justice and law enforcement, not engineering, or physics.

Not only would barrell measurements have to be made, loading, and bullet weight, and ballistic coeficient would also be a factor. Even using a iPad app, it would take 15-20 minutes to even marginally verify compliance with muzzle energy in the field.

Enforcement on the basis of ballistics would be even more of a nightmare than a four inch limit, not to mention the fact that a .22 Long Rifle can develop over 100 ft-lbs of muzzle energy.

No, I think it boils down to a matter of instilling ethics and personal accountability, and there unfortunately will always be yahoos.

B.

Stupity for me would be ANYONE who would carry their HCP Weapon into the woods and try to shoot a deer with it! Apparently that would be OK with YOU, since YOU pointed it out. Those of US that HANDGUN HUNT, would continue to USE our .44 Magnum, 8 inch barreled SUPER BLACKHAWKS, and would not have questioned the regs! That's what sets us HUNTERS apart from you YA'HOOS! Why else would you even be concerned about it??

You're reaching a bit here. They took the barrel restriction out because you don't have to have an 8" 44 mag to effectively/humanely kill an animal. As previously mention an Alaskan in .454 would be plenty sufficient.

Also it seems this argument defaults to hunting whitetail. Remember there are plenty of other game available to hunt that can be killed with handguns.

:doh: Guess I'm one of those stupid guys.;)

I have hunted a lot with my carry guns and in my experience, they have performed as good or better than my bow. More times than not they piled up in under 50 yards, and many dropped in there tracks. As with anything shot placement is imperative.

I have had similar results on much larger deer as in this vid. FWIW

Guest GunTroll

***EDIT***

I just like using random smileys and goofy sayings in response to none existing post ;) .

:rock:HAHAHAHA!

wuss bang :doh:

Edited by GunTroll
Guest GunTroll

Also I'm not sure anyone called anyone stupid who posted. I took WD's post as he was calling himself stupid. I can't answer for him though. And mine was clearly directed at TWRA for many reasons.

Folks,

I sincerely apologize for causing offense.

I only brought the topic up to ensure that I was correctly understanding the reg guide, that in fact I could use a larger caliber gun with a barrel less than 4". I never intended to attempt to take an animal with an underpowered gun.

I did not intend, nor do I wish to be divisive on the forum.

I doubt if I will post very much in the future. I have learned my lesson.

Bert