Shells stuck in size/deprime die

I have a Dillion 550 and I was changing from .45 to 9mm as I always do and I place the first lubed case into the press and the case stuck in the die. I removed the case placed another case in and again the next one stuck in the die. I have checked every thing and all looks fine. I removed the die cleaned it and place it back on the press and again the next case stuck in the die. I have ran over 20,000 cases through this die. Is it time to purchase another die or is there something else I am doing wrong. I would appreciate any imput from you all.

Thank you

Getting a case stuck in a straight-walled die is not as common as it is with bottle-necked rifle cartriges.

Is the die visibly damaged?

Do you have a micrometer or caliper to measure the inside diameter of the die?

Is it possible you are (accidentally) using a die for a different caliper?

Is it possible that the shell holder is worn out or damaged, so it gets mashed into the die and then is not retained to pull it back out? Its hard to imagine any damage to the die that would cause a lubed pistol round to stick after a good cleaning.

Guest TresOsos

If you loading pistol and not using Carbide dies then you should switch, they are well worth the investment.

You won't have to lube a pistol case again. I've loaded 10's of thousands of .45acp, .38 Special &.357mag, .45 Colt.

Never lubed the first case.

Guest TresOsos

I'm just going by what the OP said, led me to believe he was lubing his pistol cases. My brother still loads the old fashioned way on a single stage and still lubes his cases for his revolvers.

That is an easy one to do especially with the Dillon. Quick change the tool head and just forget the shellplate. I bet a few others have done that too.

I thought that was a newbie mistake :P :doh:at least with the sizer decapper I could remove decapping pin and knock it out with a dowle rod :)

I lube some of my pistol cases, not every one but about 1 /10 just to get a little up in the die. I use the hornady unique grease lube and it transfers well from the case to the die, making as if the next 10-20 cases had lube on them.

A small amount of lanolin smeared on the fingers which are then run through the cases before they go into the casefeeder has the same effect. Less effort required to pull the handle and I feel it smooths out the cycle of the press. There's so little lube on the loaded rounds you can shoot them as is or tumble them if you like squeeky clean and dry ammo.