My boy's first gun...?

Guest Bronker

Guest Bronker

Gentlemen, I'm happy to report that my son will be 6 years-old next month...

And he has followed in line with the men in my family in his love and respect for shootin' stuff. A multitude of generations.

And I couldn't be more proud. He has had a BB gun now for nearly a year, and loves shooting. He is remarkably safe, and responsible for his age. He has recently put 50 rounds through my .22 Savage bolt action single-shot. Ironically, it was my very first gun, when I turned 7. Now he's hooked, and I think he's ready.

So, here goes. All you dads and grandads (or moms!) especially...

What did you start your youngster out on? I'm sure of .22LR. I'm also set on bolt or lever action. The rest...I'm wide open for your great insight.

Thanks in advance, and please... feel free to take a stroll down memory lane and tell me your "first gun" story...:rofl:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest c.a.s.

I was started on a Marlin Golden 39. I highly suggest it, especially if you can get one before they were edited. Mine is pre-safety, and has a full 17-round magazine. It's accurate, and I really enjoy shooting it. It also not only shoots .22LR, it'll shoot .22Long, .22, and .22Short. It is easy to take down for cleaning as well, with a coin-screw, a good tap, you now have a rifle in two parts with full access to the innards.

Guest EasilyObsessed

If he likes the Savage that was your first gun....why not pass it on to him? It will mean a lot to him when he is older that his first gun was his dads first gun.

Guest Bronker

EO...

Great idea, and I'm way ahead of you. Already promised to him is my early 1900's Marlin Lever-Action .30-30.

Belonged first to my 87 year-old grandfather as a child. Passed to my dad on his 10th birthday. Passed to me on my 10th birthday. Heading towards my boy on his 10th birthday. And he knows it.

Still a possibility for his first gun (my Savage), but regardless he'll get them all upon my passing.

Good posts so far. Thanks.

I would tend to go with a single shot and not a repeater. It builds marksmanship. I am quite fond of the handirifle concept. You can get kits with a 22lr barrel and a shotgun barrel and can always add a heavy target barrel later maybe in .223.

Edited by davej48
Guest cdsusong

I too was given a Marlin single shot 22 at age 10, it has since been passed to my son who was also 10. Since then he has a Red Rider, a Crossman, a Rem 597 22 and a Charles Daly 20ga. pump. He loves to shoot. And best of all it is great quality time with old dad. Even my father loves to go with us and watch him shoot. He loves the Walther P22, the Colt 22 Revolver, and even the Bushmaster 223. And he shoots them all very well. One thing to do with him is to take the TWRA hunter's safety program and you both will learn a lot of stuff. I highly recommend this program. I had the program in middle school and it was a great brush up some 30 years later. Spend time with him at the range and ingrain firearm safety for him and those around him. This will also help in the future if he is out on a "safari" with his buddies with their BB Guns. We must teach our kids the importance of safety and the importance of the God given right to bear arms.

Guest gcrookston

I believe at the age of 6, the fellow may be a little too tender for anything more than a single shot, bolt action. I would recommend something along those lines. My first gun was at age 10, a Ruger 10-22. My father's first gun was at age 10 (1928), a Savage Model 3. I shoot that Savage of his as much as I could until Iwas old enough for a gun of my own.

Guest panthaka

I have a single shot 20 gauge I was saving for my son when he get a little older as a first shotgun. He is already shooting BB's , 22 LR. At age 9 you think 20 gauge low recoil or .410.

steven

Guest atomemphis

i started out on a Ruger 10/22. great for learning gun safety, easy to get parts for if anything fails, they are everywhere, and if you ever sell it, you'll kick yourself for doing it twenty minutes later. (don't ask me how i know)

so that's my vote. Ruger 10/22. Comes with the rotary 10-shot mag, which is plenty for a youngster to 'learn and practice' on.

I saw a little lever-action Henry with a big bow lever in the shop the other day... made me wish I had an excuse. Unfortunately, no children and no nephews...

Ah well.

Sample Excuse: (Fill in all blanks before using)

"But honey, I wanted a <insert type of weapon> made in <insert country of manufacture> to be able to hand down to <insert name of future child> when <insert gender> is old enough. They might not still make <insert specific weapon name> then if the <insert appropriate vulgarity> <insert name of gun grabbing political party> win next <insert month of next major election>."

Disclaimer: Not known to work as an excuse for purchasing EBRs, GLOCKs, 1911s, Semi-Auto Shotguns, any NFA weapons, or anything retailing over $350.

Guest Bronker

Just an update, fellas. Was in the Rabbi's neighborhood this morning, and having never been to his shop, decided to drop in. Before I could even get fully in the door, I spotted something peering at me from the rack, with big puppy-dog eyes:rolleyes:.

A set of fingerprints and about 20 minutes later...and the baby Bronker is soon to be the proud owner of a Henry Lever Action .22LR Youth Model. What a sweet little gun. Very light, and in fact the length of pull is shorter than his Daisy Red Rider!!!!! I know of one happy little fella come April 19th!!!!

By the way... Thanks Rabbi for the good deal, great conversation, and the free box of ammo!

The Bronker