Coal Creeck AR build?

Guest Rando

Guest Rando

Has anyons had any AR work done at Coal Creeck in Knoxville? I was there today and looked at one through the glass, it looked pretty sharp with all of the add-ons and the camo paint job. I was hoping to get info about there workmanship and what anyone might think about the work they did for them. I was also wondering what you might have had done? I was going to go to the Predator shop but it had moved and I am not to sure of the area it has moved to.

Thanks for any info,Rando

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I've spoken with their gunsmiths. They seem pretty knowledgeable. Can't say anything about their work since I've never had anything done.

Guest Glknknox

I've had them work on a few guns there for me, did a very good job every time.

Predator shop moved off of Papermill Dr. Down towards Liberty St.

You guys are luckier than I am. On the two occasions I visited, I was never even awarded a grunt, much less a greeting or an offer of assistance. Hell, I can get that at home anytime! They did have some neat looking stuff though.

You guys are luckier than I am. On the two occasions I visited, I was never even awarded a grunt, much less a greeting or an offer of assistance. Hell, I can get that at home anytime! They did have some neat looking stuff though.

+1 i went there once and that was about the response i got. I much prefer shopping at guns and more.

Guest 70below
+1 i went there once and that was about the response i got. I much prefer shopping at guns and more.

+1

I don't like to give them a dollar if I can help it.

If you're just looking for a basic AR build (meaning no fabrication or wild custom paint), build your own. Its alot easier than I would have thought it was. If you can change the brakes on your car, you can build an AR.

You guys are luckier than I am. On the two occasions I visited, I was never even awarded a grunt, much less a greeting or an offer of assistance.

Gee, that is exactly how I have been treated at Legends Outdoor Advantage in Athens, that is the worst place for treating customers as if they even matter, I hate the place. I honestly don't know how they stay in business. I have been in Coal Creek twice and it hasn't been anything bad like Legends.

I prefer shopping that way. The guy stands behind the case and that is it. No trying to sell or push crap on you that you want. I think that is how business should be done. Leave me alone unless I have questions or I want to see something.

I prefer shopping that way. The guy stands behind the case and that is it. No trying to sell or push crap on you that you want. I think that is how business should be done. Leave me alone unless I have questions or I want to see something.

+1

I think a lot of people want that "barbershop" atmosphere where everyone sits around and BS's. There is a reason Coal Creek has no stools inside their storefront lol. As long as the salesman is friendly when I do ask them a question I have absolutely no problem with being left alone to browse first. I have always been treated well at Coal Creek save for the one time I emailed them, but they dont seem very tech savvy anyways.

I agree also that I like to look around and browse and I like being left alone to do so and then if I need help I will ask and that is when I would like for them to help me, so that is why Coal Creek has always seemed fine to me but Legends has always been snotty to me except for one lone salesperson in the store, I just can't figure them out. My husband and son bought me gift cards for Legends and I had a hard time spending it because of their attititudes. Maybe it's because I am a woman, who knows, if that were the reason it would stink.

I would rather take my business somewhere else and the sad thing is that Legends is 10 minutes drive for me.

decent service, knowledgable in their area (black guns)and nice range

If you are looking for a "sexy" handgun, beretta, Glock, H&K, so on, or 1911 types, or black guns of the AR type, and you can afford to live in Farragut, the place for you. Service left much to be desired, nice range, but I like Sevier Indoor Range better, nicer folks to deal with, I spend my miney there

No wheel guns when I was there, and I DO NOT like glocks (nothing against the company, I just like a hammer on a gun), and getting your hands on a gun is like pulling teeth. Guess the Tshirt and jeans threw them off or something

YMMV

Hillbilly

• 2 weeks later...
Guest michael1

I am at coal creek at least twice a week and I have never had a problem with them. They have a nice range and and my AR and all my 1911's that they have worked on for me are perfect. Michael

Guest mikedwood

There is also Frontier Firearms, they are real nice and helpful several AR's and someone in there is always willing to talk guns and ammo, may not be an employee. It's more of the barbershop atmosphere.

They are in

Kingston but it's worth the drive sometimes just for fun and I usually drag something home. Plus they have a ton of holsters and accessories. I can't notice much a difference on pricing, Coal Creek is a bit cheaper on guns usually (not much) and Frontier is Cheaper on holsters and mags and such usually (not much).

Also around Knoxville is South Clinton Pawn. A real sleeper. He has a pretty good stock of guns, if you are looking for something kind of odd he might have it. They are very nice. That's where I got my Keltec Sub 2000 when no one else had it. He carries Keltec, Taurus, Glock and a few other brands new plus a lot of used guns. His prices are a little lower than Coal Creek.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I 've also got to give a +1 to guns n more. Great guys and really knowledgeable. I like that they are nice to everyone that goes in. I have a 1911 on order from them and considering I'm from chattanooga I hope that says something. Also the guys at predator are also really good guy. Spoke with them a little back when predator and guns n more were in the same little shop. I fully plan to have them do some work to my 1911 when I get it, however they are a little busy so you might want to check on turn around times.

Guest 70below

gunsandmoreinc.com New address is on the site. As far as builds go, I think they would tell you Predator is the way to go. I'm sure they'd be happy to order you an AR if you wanted to go that route. Other than that, I'd go to Frontier. No one else I know of in town will have my business from what I've seen of their prices and their attitude.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest GMCS(SW)

+1 for Frontier. Every time I go there I come home with something. Relaxed, friendly and not against just sitting back and talking.

Guest mikedwood

After the way I was treated at Coal Creek last week on a pistol repair I wouldn't let them build me a sling shot.

I told them never mind and took it to Phantom6's shop in Oak Ridge and it looks like Shadow12 is gonna fix what Coal Creek did wrong and then what they should have done in the 1st place. And if I didn't have to wait for a spring he would have had it back to me the next day.