SP101 confundus

Caster

I admit, as much as I like my SP101 in .357, it's neither comfortable or highly accurate. It's plenty accurate for it's purpose, but the DA trigger pull has always been less than lovely, and impact at 7 yards has always been about 4-5 inches below POA. I've tried several loads, all the same results.

I was shooting today, I put about 150 rounds through it. All 158g cast BBSWC loaded with AA#2, AA#5 and Bullseye. I had a few stoked up pretty close to max and that little pistola ROARS with full power loads. Getting to my point, I had what I can only describe as a SAFE negligent discharge. On the double action pull, I pull until just before it breaks, hold for sight alignment and then follow through. After a good thousand to fifteen hundred rounds, I have a good grasp on where it breaks....until now. Now the pull is dramatically smoother. When I pulled tight, I followed through unintentionally. Nothing unsafe as I was already on target down range, but subsequent shots all felt MUCH better. Groups tightened up a good inch and a half, and point of impact moved up three to four inches. Dang near point of aim. Tight enough that my shaky kneed skill level couldn't ask for more.

SO, what happened? I know triggers will naturally get better with time, but dramatically, so suddenly? My only conclusion is that there was burr on a mating surface somewhere and it finally burnished itself smooth. I also noticed (even before today) that groups tighten up the longer I shoot. One would assume heat and fouling affects accuracy negatively, but going to the range with a clean bore, it will shoot MUCH better after 50-75 rounds. I'm not getting any leading with any of my loads, even when shooting in high volume. I shot enough today that I have a nice little blister on my hand from brushing up against the barrel. It was smoking pretty good on the bench. It being stainless, I'm about to the point that cleaning will, from now on, consist of a wiping down with a clean rag, and drop or two of oil here and there. I'm not going to clean the bore for a while. Maybe a clean patch run down it, but I'm going to leave it be and see what happens.

Any thoughts, similar experiences or theories?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stainless steel revolvers tend to take a little longer to smooth out than carbon steel counterparts. The SP 101 and GP 100 benefit from a complete tear down, cleaning and lube before you first shoot them and whenever they’ve sat up for a while. You’ve experienced several things with your SP 101; none are uncommon all boiling down to the fact your revolver is finally broken in. Clean it, lube it and shoot it a lot, if you can put aside a little money then save up and buy a GP 100 3” FS revolver, that’s what’s on my short list.

maybe your trigger finger got stronger....;);) just kidding. My SP is a little stiff on the double action side too. Gonna put some downrange tomorrow. Maybe it will get better too.......

I'm all for some custom work by good gunsmiths but with Ruger's you can do a lot to improve them yourself...

Springs for RUGER SP-101 Revolvers

Use the right lubricant's and you'll be amazed by what 30 minutes worth of work can do for your SP 101, go to Utube and you'll find video's on how to break down your Ruger, it's really easier to do than a S&W or Colt.

Edited by TNWNGR
I'm all for some custom work by good gunsmiths but with Ruger's you can do a lot to improve them yourself...

Use the right lubricant's and you'll be amazed by what 30 minutes worth of work can do for your SP 101, go to Utube and you'll find video's on how to break down your Ruger, it's really easier to do than a S&W or Colt.

Changing springs makes a huge difference. If you are so inclined a fluff and buff and shimming the trigger and hammer makes for a very smooth trigger pull.

these reduced weight springs make that much difference? What about reliability?

Caster, I say its the nature of the beast, breaking in can be fun. ;)

Other options on SP101 tuning -

Gemini Customs LLC - Ruger & Services

Pinnacle-Guns.com: Pinnacle High Performance Custom Gunsmithing

GrantCunningham.com - Ruger revolvers

Plus, you can go locally - Ruger SP 101 – Mossy Creek Custom or have any local gunsmith smooth one up, IF you don't want to risk it yourself. There's also good one at the Lebanon Gun Shop.

Why not try a S&W.......its trigger is race ready out of the box

I have had a couple new Smiths, and wouldn't call either one race ready. And several used ones with some good triggers and some bad triggers. I guess it is just a crap shoot on the trigger quality of a new revolver.

Guest Roadkill Bill

My wife was first in her class when she went through her firearms training. She was hitting drop targets at 30 and 40 yards without a miss. She was using a 3" SP101. No one told her it was hard, so she just did it. She loves the gun and has been carrying it for 15 years now. She has dropped down to 110 gr. Winchester loads, but in a .357 it will still leave a red mark.

Well, the other day I took it apart. I'm not a big fan of taking revolvers apart, but the SP is rather simple. It appears as though pigmy trolls took a :poop: in there! I get it all cleaned up and find that the pawl detent was broken. Ordered a replacement from midway and since I was in there already, I took an EDM stone and deburred everything. I took care not to remove any mating surface material. Did a full on robo scrub of everything and lubed it up. I went ahead and replaced the factory hammer spring with a 9lb Wolff reduced power spring. I just got the thing back together a little while ago, and while I have yet to shoot it, all I can say is WOW!

Attention SP101 owners: Read the above and do it for yourself, you wont regret it!

Seriously, I have pistols with better triggers, but not by much. NONE with so little invested to get to that point.

:rolleyes::woohoo::woohoo: Caster is a happy camper!:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

I dunno if someone messed with my Sp101 before I acquired it but it is awesome. I have mever shot a DA revolver that feels as good as mine. It is the last handgun I would ever let go of. There is not a S&W that I would trade it for.

I wouldn't mind having another one of those. I had one many years ago and I sold it for some reason or another. You can't do much better than the SP101 for a snubby that will handle the .357 mag.

You're right there. I have fed mine a steady diet of some VERY heavy loads.