Sig P229 - Thoughts?

TNcitizen22

Hey everyone,

I have been considering switching my EDC handgun to a Sig P229 from a Glock 27. I have been a Glock shooter most of my life, and have a good deal of proficiency with them, and thought that was all I would ever be interested in carrying. That is, until I shot a P226 the other day.

As I said, this gun would be for carry, mostly IWB but occasionally OWB. I would want it in .40S&W. My question here is between to models, the 229R (railed) or the 229SAS. Anyone have an opinion on which carries better, if such a difference exists? Pros and cons between the two models? General opinions of the 229? I am leaning toward the 229R for the versatility of the rail, however I really like the smooth lines of the 229SAS.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 229 is a fabulous handgun.

The difference between the standard and the SAS is pretty much just the externals of the gun. SAS are "melt" treated to round off the edges and make it less likely to snag on the draw.

They also come with short reset triggers, which allows for a shorter reset between shots for faster followup. That can be easily installed in the standard 229. ( don't confuse that with the short trigger, which actually is a thinner trigger for shorter fingers. Make sure which fits your hand better)

The 229, like the 226, is uber accurate and reliable. The biggest difference you'll notice from the Glock is the weight, but with a good holster you won't notice after a while.

The first shot with the DA/SA can take a bit to master. Once I got used to it I don't want anything else.

if you like the 226 I'd highly recommend the 229, and if you're going to carry the SAS is a good option.

Hey everyone,

I have been considering switching my EDC handgun to a Sig P229 from a Glock 27. I have been a Glock shooter most of my life, and have a good deal of proficiency with them, and thought that was all I would ever be interested in carrying. That is, until I shot a P226 the other day.

As I said, this gun would be for carry, mostly IWB but occasionally OWB. I would want it in .40S&W. My question here is between to models, the 229R (railed) or the 229SAS. Anyone have an opinion on which carries better, if such a difference exists? Pros and cons between the two models? General opinions of the 229? I am leaning toward the 229R for the versatility of the rail, however I really like the smooth lines of the 229SAS.

I love Sig's personally. Nysos has a P229 I believe and can probably give you more info that I can about it but I carry a P226. If you're set on those models, between the 2, I'd go with the Railed. Will you be getting it with Sig nightsights or putting your own on?

I recently traded for a P229R and i have also always carried glocks but i love the sig. it doesnt carry as well IWB as my glock 23 does its thicker and heavier but its not bad. I say get one they are great guns I love mine. The sas may carry abit better but i dont know.

I love my 229, but since you are used to carrying a polymer it will be a tough transition. I find myself carrying my 229 less and less compared to my m&p compact. Even with a good belt and holster, the 229 isn't uncomfortable - but it is noticeable the majority of the time. There are times with my m&p that I forget that I have it on, or that it is there.

Just my .02 on carry.

In regards to a gun in general, I love my 229 to death. It took a while to get broken in, and get used to shooting it, but now I am a pretty good shot with it. For trigger options you have quite a few choices. Don't be confused with the SRT and the short reach trigger. The SRT gives you the shorter reset after each shot, the short reach trigger aka the "thin" trigger is just physically thinner so people with smaller hands have an easier time reaching it for the double action pull. Depending on your hand size, you may want to get ahold of one of each trigger types to see which is more comfortable. Then regardless, I would recommend the SRT for either the normal trigger or the short reach trigger.

To answer your original questions regarding the SAS vs the railed, sure the rail gives you versatility - but to be honest are you really going to carry it with something like a laser or weapon light mounted on it? Or even if it is your nightstand gun, are you going to throw a light on it every night? I have a rail mounted light and I assure you I have maybe mounted it on my gun 2-3 times for night stand duty. I have gotten to the point where I just rather have a good flash light on my nightstand always, and a good set of night sights on the gun. If I was in your shoes, the decision would probably be for the SAS. My sig has a rail though, because I am one of the minority it seems that doesn't mind the looks of a rail on a sig. I like sigs in general...rail or no rail, a 1911 on the other hand I don't think looks right with a rail on it...but that is for another day and another thread.

Internally all the 229s are the same, so it is just deciding on what bells and whistles you want on it. I don't recommend having the adjustable combat night sights as too many reports of them drifting and loosening up over time. Mine have been solid thus far, but only time will tell. At least it is a simple enough part to switch out. I would also look at grip options. If you get a brand new sig you will be getting the e2 grips which many people don't like. So you may want to look at hogue's offerings or a model with different grips (wood/aluminum).

I will probably just purchase it with Sig nightsights unless someone can give me a good reason to go with aftermarkets?

The Sig Night Sights are pretty vanilla. If that is what you want, then go for it. It is cheaper to order with them than add them later.

I am a huge fan of the Sig platform. Personally, I would go for the SAS. SRT is a fantastic upgrade.

Compare to a Glock, the P229 will be heavy and significantly larger than a G27. What you gain is the safety of a DA first round, and a great SA trigger.

Edited by quietguy
syntax
If you get a brand new sig you will be getting the e2 grips which many people don't like. So you may want to look at hogue's offerings or a model with different grips (wood/aluminum).

+1 for getting new grips. If you get the Elite Dark, you get the most amazingly comfortable aluminum grips I've ever held. But that's just my preference.

+1 for getting new grips. If you get the Elite Dark, you get the most amazingly comfortable aluminum grips I've ever held. But that's just my preference.

That will also turn terribly cold if you decide to carry OWB in the winter. So +1 for iwb carry with these grips in cold weather!

That will also turn terribly cold if you decide to carry OWB in the winter. So +1 for iwb carry with these grips in cold weather!

No worries. I have purchased my new IWB holster today along with 500 rounds of personal protection ammo ;). Unfortunately, still haven't trying to figure out which one I'll use for EDC. Meh, you can help with that at some point :D.

Edited by wcsc12

I got my first Sig just a couple days ago, so I can't really speak from a lot of experience. I will say that I've been carrying my p220 railed for about 5 days in an IWB holster and I have had no problems. At night I snap on a TLR-1 light and put it on the night stand. I do NOT like Sigs night sights. I think they are too tall,big, and ugly. Thinking about putting on a set of XS Big dots per J. Yeager :)

• 2 weeks later...

Some range time that focuses on the first shot (double action) and the second round (single action) would do you some good. I have found that if you don't carry a round in the chamber (your gun is "safer") and cycling the slide becomes part of your draw, then all of the shots will be single action.

Guest Opie Coyote

I've got a 228r and 2 p250sc's. I had 2 p239's and a 238, but I just prefer the 250 for carry. The 228 is my favorite shooting pistol ever. It shoots far beyond my skill. I think the 229 would be excellent. I just never liked my g27, but I love my sigs.

Btw, I second sig229. That DA is a bit stiff, but the SA is awesome. I do exactly what he does as far as carrying my 228 without one in the chamber and practice racking on the draw.

Edited by Opie Coyote
I've got a 228r and 2 p250sc's. I had 2 p239's and a 238, but I just prefer the 250 for carry. The 228 is my favorite shooting pistol ever. It shoots far beyond my skill. I think the 229 would be excellent. I just never liked my g27, but I love my sigs.

Btw, I second sig229. That DA is a bit stiff, but the SA is awesome. I do exactly what he does as far as carrying my 228 without one in the chamber and practice racking on the draw.

Subject for another thread, but I'll bet I can get off two shots before you get your slide racked. :)

Guest twpayne75

I don't have to much to add. The 229 is a great gun. The rail adds VERY LITTLE extra size to the dust cover. Matter of fact you can use railed guns in most unrailed holsters as long as its leather with just a little bit of working in. I personally like the rail.

Something else you might consider is DAK. I converted most all my Sigs to DAK a year or two ago. I much prefer it. As an added bonus you lose the tumor on the left side known as the decock lever. I will post a picture of my 228R DAK with Sig Slim Grips(same frame as 229R) I also think I have a comparison picture with a single stack S&W 3913.

228R with Sig Slim grips:

0614101144.jpg

With S&W 3913:

0610101922.jpg

With Hogue G10 for $h!t$ and giggles:

0629101038.jpg

Guest twpayne75
Subject for another thread, but I'll bet I can get off two shots before you get your slide racked. :up:

Yep. I would never consider carrying a gun without a round chambered. If you have time to chamber a round, you probably didn't really need it in the first place. If carrying with a chambered round bothers you that much I would definately recommend DAK or even DAO.

Subject for another thread, but I'll bet I can get off two shots before you get your slide racked. ;)

2 moderately paced well aimed shots before the slide racked and the sights decently on target... Sigs are designed to carry with a round in the chamber and the hammer down. I've seen sigs loaded and carried correctly hit hard pavement and not go off.

I submit that due to the time and extra moves needed that empty chamber carry is more dangerous.

Mark

Guest Opie Coyote
Great choice. I prefer the Big Dot night sights I have on my SIG. I believe I get faster target acquisition with them.

I don't doubt it. That's why I carry the p250 on my person,but when traveling the 228 is basically for jic. ;)

Had my 229R for a little over a year already. Absolutely, hands down, the best handgun I have ever owned. I carried it for a while and then went thru a phase where I had to have an H&K USP compact, so I got one. No where near as accurate and I think I prefer the extra weight while carrying my Sig.

Always carry with one in the pipe and decocked. Why waste time racking the slide when you can just draw, aim, trigger pull? Makes no sense to me, but to each his own.

You really can't go wrong with any Sig, they're all built to be very dependable and very accurate. WELL built at that.

And no, I'm not on their payroll, but it'd be nice if I were!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Tennessee Rebel

I carried a 229 in 40s&w and a 220 .45 for years. The two best handguns ive ever owned. I loved my 220 the most though. Just preference. You cant beat a sig. I have been wanting another one.

Guest twpayne75
I don't think I understand this statement...

Mark

What I meant was that I believe that most people that don't like to carry with one in the chamber are usually nervous about decocking or carrying cocked and locked. Guns where the hammers always drop to the forward rest position without the need of manipulation are perceived as safer by most of those people.