Recent complaceny in my carrying practices

I've been carrying for about 7 years now. I haven't always been able to carry 24/7 but I am now fortunate enough to be able to do so most of the time (only exception is when I have to go into a gov't building or something.) So everyday I get ready for work, do the check before I leave (keys, check, work stuff, check, gun, check.) The last few days I have been failing miserably.

Saturday morning I headed to work at about 4 am, sometime around 5:30 I realized that I did not have my gun, I was wearing a holster but no gun. I had taken the gun out of the holster and laid it on my dresser while putting my belt on.

Then yesterday I was running errands in town and realized that I was wearing an empty holster, I was however carrying another gun in another location. Note of reference, I switch up between a S&W 642, and a Glock 26, or 27. I carry the Glock at 4 O'clock in a belt holster and the 642 rides in my right front pocket. I tend to carry the Glock more as the weather cools off, the 642 is just easier to deal with in the summer heat, this time of year I tend to switch up a lot. When carrying the Glock I also carry an extra mag in my right front pocket.

Today I had to run into town I put the same pants on I was wearing yesterday and strapped the Glock on. Got to town and realized the 642 was in my pocket as well, so I was double armed today, no big deal, I just didn't do that intentionally.

I don't know if the issue is that I switch up guns a lot this time of year. Maybe I was in a hurry? Maybe I'm coming complacent? Fortunatley I haven't done anything that is a safety issue. There are no untrained people around my house or anything. Probably the scariest thing I did was not having a gun while being out and about at odd hours Saturday morning, but I lived through it. Comments, criticisms, suggestions? Let me have it, my skin is thick, I can take it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few issues, but the thing that jumps out at me is leaving the 642 in your pocket without knowing it. I think you need to tighten up on your control of your weapons. Just because you have no untrained people in your house doesn't mean they are immune to accidents. Someone could have thrown those pants into the washer, then dryer. I'm not sure if you have a safe, but leaving your weapon on the dresser means it is gone in a robbery.

Say four "Our Lagers" and fire five magazines at the range as your repentance.

Our lager,

Which art in barrels,

Hallowed be Thy drink,

Thy will be drunk,

At home as I am in the tavern.

Give us this day our foamy head,

And forgive us our spillages,

As we forgive those who spill against us,

And lead us not to incarceration,

But deliver us from hangovers,

For thine is the beer,

The bitter and the lager,

Forever and ever,

Barmen.

Our lager,

Which art in barrels,

Hallowed be Thy drink,

Thy will be drunk,

For thine is the beer,

Forever and ever,

Barmen.

:D:bowrofl::bowrofl:

LagerHead,

Are you, by chance, a homebrewer?

I am ashamed to admit that no, I am not yet a home brewer. I have about 100 bottles saved up for when I start and even my wife is down with the idea so I have no good excuse other than I am a slovenly slacker of the highest order.

There are a few issues, but the thing that jumps out at me is leaving the 642 in your pocket without knowing it. I think you need to tighten up on your control of your weapons. Just because you have no untrained people in your house doesn't mean they are immune to accidents. Someone could have thrown those pants into the washer, then dryer. I'm not sure if you have a safe, but leaving your weapon on the dresser means it is gone in a robbery.

That's just part of my daily regimen take my pants off before I go to bed and they lie next to the bed, when I get up the next morning I typically put on a new pair of pants or wear the ones from the previous day if they are not dirty. At which point I transfer everything (including gun) from one pair of pants to the other. I would love it if someone would come over and throw my pants in the washing machine, lol. Very good point about the gun lying on the dresser. I try to make a point of not leaving guns just lying around the house. In a robbery that would have been gone in 2 seconds, I just got lucky that I wasn't robbed. I'm really trying to make more of an effort to be aware of where my sidearms are at all times. I took an extra minute this morning to verify everything and I am happy to report everything went as it should today.

Our lager,

Which art in barrels,

Hallowed be Thy drink,

Thy will be drunk,

For thine is the beer,

Forever and ever,

Barmen.

Got a good chuckle out of that one Lagerhead. Not much of a drinker these days, I drank my share for life in my younger days.

Guest Old goat

The biggest problem with a routine is, it becomes more routine. You will do the same thing, with out fail most of the time with out a thought, then you don't notice when it doesn't happen.