Proper way to sell a handgun

Guest Natosha

Guest Natosha

I apologize if this is not in the correct place.

My husband has a Ruger P95 and he is wanting to sell it and purchase the new SR9. Someone has offered him more than the dealers have for a trade. Is there a proper procedure you should go by for selling a handgun that is register to you? How do you protect yourself? Is it worth the extra $50 bucks that you would receive, or should you just trade it in?

Edited by Natosha
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tennessee does not have a registration of firearms. If you want to sell it and you in good faith think the person you are selling it to meets the requirements (not a felon, no drugs etc.) just give them the gun and take the cash.

If you want a receipt for your records that is up to you. You don't have to provide one. There are no forms etc.

If you don't feel comfortable with the person wishing to purchase it, you can always go to a gun shop and do the transfer through them but they are going to eat in to that $50 you might make over their trade in price.

read this: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8

and this (if the buyer is not a TN resident): http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5

There is no restriction upon the sale of personal firearms to other private citizens. You are not required to perform a background check, etc. But it is illegal to knowingly sell a gun to a minor or felon. So, you husband will have no problems selling his Ruger to another person, as long as he is unaware that they are a minor, felon, or from out of state.

Welcome to TGO, and enjoy the SR9.

Guest gcrookston

As a former FFL holder, and a buyer and seller of guns to support my hobby, here's what I do, though I am not legally required to do so:

I ask the individual if he's been convicted of a felony. The answer has always been no and I note this. I do make out a bill of sale (in duplicate, one for him and one for me). I do at least copy his driver's license info onto my copy of the bill of sale. I've only had one buyer balk at this request and I walked away from the sale.

In the hundreds of guns I've sold over the years, I've only had one come back to haunt me. I had a gun I sold used in a crime in New Orleans in 2001. I had purchased the gun from a dealer new. Although not necessary, it was nice to be able to provide the officers a copy of my bill of sale and the information on the buyer.

Guest Natosha

Thanks again! We don't have to worry about selling after all. He traded today. He should get it in a few weeks. It is on layaway! He is so excited and I kind of am too. :)

Guest GLOCKGUY
Thanks again! We don't have to worry about selling after all. He traded today. He should get it in a few weeks. It is on layaway! He is so excited and I kind of am too. :D

when he gets it and gets to shoot it let us know how he likes it :)